Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEW Bell and the franchise tag thread

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The NEW Bell and the franchise tag thread

Exclusive tag was placed on Bell, not the non exclusive.
    So what does that mean?

Non-exclusive franchise tag:

This is the most common use of the tag, and the one that Landry received from the Dolphins. It results in a one-year guaranteed contract offer from the club to the player for a set amount based on position.
    In the past that amount was calculated by averaging the salaries of the five highest paid players at that position the previous season. Under the 2011 CBA it became slightly more complex. Now, the non-exclusive tag is calculated by adding the franchise tag cost together from the five previous seasons and dividing it by the sum of the salary caps from the five previous seasons to get a percentage-of-cap number that is then multiplied by that year's cap.

Got it? Actually, the non-exclusive franchise tag is worth either that number, or 120% of the player's salary from the year before, whichever is greater.

The long story short is that these are generally pricey one-year deals.

Players who receive the designation can sign their franchise tenders right away or shop for another team to try and get an offer sheet. If another team signs a franchise player to an offer sheet, the original team has a chance to match it. But if the original team doesn't match the offer, the new team must give up two first-round picks as compensation in order to steal the franchise player away.

Exclusive franchise tag:

The more uncommon tag still is used in some cases. The exclusive tag number is determined by the average of the five highest-paid players at the position. And that's based on this upcoming season, so the actual number won't be known until April when the Restricted Free Agent Signing Period ends because free agents this year could raise that average. Again, a 20% raise from that player's prior season salary becomes the franchise tag number if it is greater than the other calculation.

*Some other details to keep in mind with both tenders:
    — They can only negotiate with their team.

— They can be withdrawn at any time by the club if the player hasn't signed it. This is what happened with Josh Norman in 2016.

— The team and player have until July 16 to work out a multi-year deal, otherwise the one-year contract is the only option.

— Players can be tagged for a second year in a row, though this always results in a 20% raise since 120% of their salary from the year before would be more than the franchise tag number. They can be tagged for a third year in a row, too, but get either the quarterbacks' franchise tag number or a 44% raise, whichever is greater. Quarterbacks tagged a third time in a row have to settle for a 44% raise.

— Players don't have to sign their tags, but if they don't, they can't play. If they don't sign their tender after 10 weeks of the season, they can't show up for the rest of the season and then can be tagged again the following year.
    Last edited by pittpete; 03-06-2018 at 08:15 PM.
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Bell told ESPN this week the deal the Steelers offered last season averaged $13.3 M per year. Wasn’t enough. He wanted $14.5M. I find that insane. It’s over $6M than the next highest RB.

If if he doesn’t sign the deal and an amazing RB is available in the draft they could pull the offer. If not, I think he plays here in ‘18 and they let him walk in ‘19.

These numbers seem seem a lot more like ego than being lowballed. This Steelers offer is unprecedented.

Backup

User Info Menu

I would have preferred to see us give Bell the non-exclusive tag. Why not, when there's the possibility some team might give up a couple of first-rounders for him? I realize that's unlikely, but you never know.
    Trade Martavis Bryant for a 4th-round pick

1) Rashaan Evans, ILB, Alabama
    2) Jessie Bates, FS, Wake Forest
    3) Dante Pettis, WR, Washington
    4) Ken Norton, DT, Miami
    5a) Josh Adams, RB, Notre Dame
    5b) Dorance Armstrong Jr., OLB, Kansas
    7a) Will Dissly, TE, Washington
    7b) Brett Toth, OT, Army

UDFA: Quadree Henderson, WR, Pitt
    Colby Gossett, G, Appalachian St.

Starter

User Info Menu

Having seen him interviewed a few times, you can tell he's not very bright. You have to wonder what kind of advice he's getting turning down what the Steelers are offering.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    Having seen him interviewed a few times, you can tell he's not very bright. You have to wonder what kind of advice he's getting turning down what the Steelers are offering.
    So far, it hasn't hurt him. Now if he suffers a career-ending injury and misses out on the security he could've had with all the guaranteed money the Steelers offered? Then he won't look very smart. But if he ends up with a multiyear deal that averages $15 million per? He'll look like the biggest genius in the league.

Again, I don't begrudge Bell trying to get what he can. I just don't think the Steelers ought to pay what he's asking for his services.
    Trade Martavis Bryant for a 4th-round pick

1) Rashaan Evans, ILB, Alabama
    2) Jessie Bates, FS, Wake Forest
    3) Dante Pettis, WR, Washington
    4) Ken Norton, DT, Miami
    5a) Josh Adams, RB, Notre Dame
    5b) Dorance Armstrong Jr., OLB, Kansas
    7a) Will Dissly, TE, Washington
    7b) Brett Toth, OT, Army

UDFA: Quadree Henderson, WR, Pitt
    Colby Gossett, G, Appalachian St.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think that this makes sense for the Steelers.

As you've said at the bottom, I think that the financial value of either tag is about the same in both cases.

The exclusive tag almost eliminates the potential of trading him, but I think that chance was pretty close to 0% anyway. Here, the Steelers potentially gain some good will in the negotiations because they can still argue that they want Bell on the team long term (I think they do, but not at his asking price).

Ultimately, I think that Bell and the team have dramatically different opinions on what Bell's long term value is. So, I think he'll play under the tag this year and walk next year.

I don't think that Bell will retire because I think pro-athletes have a fanatical drive to prove that they are the best which generally makes it hard for them to make rational decisions re: leaving the game. But, retiring would be a reasonable decision in my view. If he's saved a reasonable portion of his last year's salary (even say 20%), it's more than enough live a comfortable life for the next 60-80 years (assuming say a 3.5% withdrawal rate on a balanced indexed portfolio). So, he'd probably have an awesome rest of his life without further damage to his brain and body. Doing so would leave a ton of $$$ on the table, but limited mental and physical damage (especially for RBs) might be worth it when the difference is probably only measured in how much money you leave for your kids.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If he signs this deal he’ll have made $27 million at age 27. I wish I was that “dumb”.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

it's a huge amount of money to invest in one player, no matter how much production he gives. Particularly a player who has rarely finished the season (I believe last year was the first time). I hope this deal gets done, but as I've said elsewhere - the money Bell thinks he's worth (and is demanding) is money only a desperate team would pay. The Steelers aren't desperate. I have to trust the FO to structure a deal that doesn't hurt the team long-term. 40 million or more guaranteed could potentially do just that. I wonder though if guaranteed money is still guaranteed for another drug suspension. I don't know the answer to that.
    [URL="http://s43.photobucket.com/user/stimko74/media/slpo9.jpeg.html"]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...o74/slpo9.jpeg[/URL]

2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    But if he ends up with a multiyear deal that averages $15 million per? He'll look like the biggest genius in the league.
    I think his chance to get that is significantly lower now. We will know more at the end of next year, but that fall off in yards per carry last season does not bode well for him getting what I consider an even more far-fetched deal, but one that he apparently believes (i.e., someone is telling him) that he can get.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    I don't think that Bell's strategy is stupid.

I think his argument is that the guaranteed money under the tag is similar to the guaranteed money in the long term deal. If that's the case, his take home pay is similar if he gets a big injury in year 1 either way.

By not getting hurt in year 1 (last year), he's received more guaranteed money under 2 tags than 1 long term deal. Consistently playing under the tag, or on short term high salary deals isn't an unreasonable strategy and it worked really well for Revis (I think it was Revis). But, he plays a position with a lower injury rate (and a higher AAV) than Bell does.

Without knowing the numbers before hand, I wouldn't be surprised if Bell will make more total money by playing under the tag in Pitt for 2 years then signing a long term deal with another team next year. This is certainly true if he avoids a catastrophic injury this season. And might still be true with a big injury this year.