Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey guys, I heard something on Sunday; I want your feedback.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Hey guys, I heard something on Sunday; I want your feedback.

I was listening to ESPN radio last Sunday. And they dropped some info I found very interesting.

They said that no team with a QB's salary that takes more then 13% of the salary cap has won a Super Bowl since Steve Young did in the the 90's. Quickly, one of the guys said well what about Tom Brady? But Brady has only taken as high as 10% of the Patriots cap and he takes less to allow the Pats to do what they need to do.

So the direction of the conversation was headed toward Cousins and how much he is about to get and to Aaron Rodgers. Rodgers they are saying has told Green Bay he has to have more than Cousins because he's better than Cousins.

All of the guys agreed that the contracts that Cousins and Rodgers are about to get is going basically eliminate those teams from championship contention of any sort because the managements of those teams will be salary cap strapped.

So in light of that discussion, I'm asking, with Ben about to get a new, short term deal, what amount is fair to Ben but is will also be fair to the organization without handicapping us from continuing to build a crediable defense?

Isn't it time for Ben to take a discount?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

He should be more than happy to offer a discount. He has had a few "big" contracts. It's time to step aside and let some of the up and coming stars finally get theirs if he wants to continue to win.

Let's be very clear, Ben is not the reason we win, his best days are way behind him. He is a strong, reliable, grizzled veteran, however, he is great at nothing and his game still leaves a lot to be desired; Otherwise, we wouldn't be sitting here lamenting about upgrading the defense or die! Why? Because we all know the offense cannot carry this team to a super bow!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Then what do we need Ben for?
    Might as well cut him and grab a cheaper veteran.
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by williar View Post
    He should be more than happy to offer a discount. He has had a few "big" contracts. It's time to step aside and let some of the up and coming stars finally get theirs if he wants to continue to win.

Let's be very clear, Ben is not the reason we win, his best days are way behind him. He is a strong, reliable, grizzled veteran, however, he is great at nothing and his game still leaves a lot to be desired; Otherwise, we wouldn't be sitting here lamenting about upgrading the defense or die! Why? Because we all know the offense cannot carry this team to a super bow!

I have to strongly disagree with you. Ben is exactly why we win. He touches the ball every offensive play. Our offense takes two steps back when he isn't playing

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I have to strongly disagree with you. Ben is exactly why we win. He touches the ball every offensive play. Our offense takes two steps back when he isn't playing
    So why are we sitting here talking about defense, then? We should have had a parade last week because I strongly believe we had the best offensive talent in the NFL last year. Stop being delusional! Ben has had more than enough talent around him these past few years to have won another super bowl. So, what is your reasoning for the 10 year drought? Tomlin?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

To get back to the point. I am not a fan of these QBS breaking the bank! It is getting ridiculous. This is not the NBA and you need a lot more than one or two superstars, so to speak, to get it done! I hope they enjoy their money because I doubt if any of them are going to win!

I do not begrudge the money that these guys earn, especially in football. But, unless you are Brady, Rogers, Newton, Wilson, Brees, etc where you have proven you can carry a team; for most of these guys, even some that are on their 3rd or 4th contract, it's just a money grab! And it coming at the expense of surrounding yourself with a competitive team. I think it is selfish on their part.

Does Ben really need another 100 million dollars contract? I mean some of you have the nerve to complain about what LB wants or what AB got. Well, I cringe at the thought of what this offense would look like without them.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

To me, If I were running a team, 20 mil a year is the top I'd ever pay a QB in a year. Period. Because of the way you have to fill in the other positions on the team. And I'd let my franchise QB know that too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Haha... I had this exact conversation in a Bell thread and was low key called a hypocrite and a racist for wanting Ben to take a hometown discount. Bell has yet to get that one big contract. Ben is on his third one. Take a little less and keep this core together. He already said he doesn’t want big changes because he thinks we are close to a SB.

Anyways. I’ve always said the reason Cowher was so competitive is because we never had the huge QB contract around our necks.

Its also the reason we lost 4 AFCCG’s.

I keep saying life after Ben won’t be like the 80’s because we have some serious talent and will be able to add even more without Ben’s cap hit.

Folks think all all we need to do is get rid of Bell and we will be able to do it but I think that’s a mistake. He is a huge part of our offense and we have no idea if we can find his replacement.

I just hope he is willing to shave a few dollars off this last contract since he already made a ton of money.
    ILB
    DL
    S
    RB
    WR
    LB

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    To me, If I were running a team, 20 mil a year is the top I'd ever pay a QB in a year. Period. Because of the way you have to fill in the other positions on the team. And I'd let my franchise QB know that too.
    Depends on how things play out at the time. Am I really going to refuse to pay a franchise QB 23 mill per year or 25 mill per year if he is Rogers or Brady or Ben?

Its not like these guys grow on trees.

Now, if I’m Detroit? I’m not paying that guy another huge contract because he hasn’t won jack and we play in a dome.

I wouldnt pay Cousins more than 15 mill. He isn’t that guy.
    ILB
    DL
    S
    RB
    WR
    LB

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I wouldn't pay Cousins more than 15 mill. He isn’t that guy.
    I hear ya that you wouldn't pay Cousins more than 15 mil but let's say Cousins goes to Jacksonville and leads them to a Super Bowl win, and then he says he wants to be bumped up into Rodgers zip code because he's won as many championships as Rodgers?

And if your Jacksonville, you just saw how it was going the game manger rout with Bortles; So you can't just say our defense will do it for us.