Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you think Shazier injury was the difference?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Do you think Shazier injury was the difference?

I know that people don't like playing the "what if" game, but in this case, I'm just wondering if others think that was the end of the team's chances this past year.

I think that it obviously hurt, missing out big-play guy and replacing him with Spence. But TBH, I'm a signs guy. And all throughout the year, I was looking for signs that this team was all that. And I didn't see it, even when Shazier was there. The team didn't show particular strength or unity, when the Anthem stuff went down. It didn't when MB started bad-mouthing JJSS. It also showed itself with Bell and his late-season comments and actions. As much as I wanted it, I just didn't see a team that was "destined" for greatness. No doubt this team has as much/more talent than anyone out there, but I just didn't see that something that made me think it was particularly special, besides the talent.
    Guys and gals,
    If you play fantasy football, go to the FF forum here and read my thread. I'd appreciate some feedback on it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Not having Shazier, and losing him well after the trade deadline, and having Matakevich injured in the same game, left the Steelers with no option but to pick up a street free agent...

This allowed teams to target the MLBs.

So, yes, IMO, it made all the difference in the world...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+# up and wear it.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think it's hard to imagine that Shazier doesn't stop one of those 3rd downs against the Jags.

I'd go much further and say that their whole game plan would have been different if we had 50 on the field. But, their defensive game plan would have been different too. They were always playing with a big cushion and could have also had another stop or turnover if the situations were different.

Legend

User Info Menu

Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+# up and wear it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

After getting gashed by the Jags in week 5...we really settled in in weeks 6-12... leading up to the Bengals. Would have to think Shazier would have been the difference.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    After getting gashed by the Jags in week 5...we really settled in in weeks 6-12... leading up to the Bengals. Would have to think Shazier would have been the difference.
    Wait, was Shazier on the field for that 1st Jags game? Fournette just gashed us. I know Shazier was around for the Bear game, which was probably worse to watch. Shazier was there for all those other games too, where every game, a guy would take a simple hitch, or slant, or screen, and gallop 40 yards. This happened like every game... that's sort of my point.

Yes... I'd like to think he would have erased all the ineptitude of our D. But my head tells me that it was a systemic problem, on defense and offense (i.e. locker room). In other words, even if Shazier makes a difference in that NE* game or the 2nd JAX game, someone would do or say something stupid (I forgot, in my earlier post, to mention the Deebo debacle) that would upend the season.
    Guys and gals,
    If you play fantasy football, go to the FF forum here and read my thread. I'd appreciate some feedback on it.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Shazier would have made a difference against the Jags. Of that, I feel certain of.
    But if one man's absence causes our defense to be that inept, then that is another issue that we need to talk about on it's own.

I just can't go down that "injury excuse" road; especially after an Eagles team with major injuries on both sides of the ball just beat a team that we haven't beaten in our last 7 attempts.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm not going to blame the entire season on Shazier getting injured. At the same time, he was probably the one player on defense who had the ability to be a game changer.

Losing Shazier was a huge blow, no doubt. But the coaching staff failed adequately react, IMO. Tomlin has always subscribed to the notion of not weakening 2 positions. But I'm not sure the team was well served by doing that. The Steelers played TJ and Bud off the ball a lot this year. They could have shifted either to ILB while inserting some mix of Moats, Chickillo, and yes, Harrison, at OLB. Maybe you downgrade 2 positions in doing that, but in the same time, you'd get your best guys on the field, as opposed to playing a guy off his couch who was clearly not up to the task.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The game where we were really exposed after the Shazier injury was vs. the Ravens.
    That was horrible to watch.
    Our run D looked like the Three Stooges out there.

Also lets not pretend that Ryan didnt have his share of missed tackles and over pursuits.
    Ryan was great at shooting a gap and getting to the sidelines quickly with his speed.
    Last edited by pittpete; 02-18-2018 at 10:52 PM.
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

anytime you have a player of his ability go down - it diminishes the overall performance of the unit. But while that was a big impact - the defense had other holes as well. Artie Burns did not have a good year. we were below average in getting outside pressure from the LB's. Dupree seemed to be MIA most of the year. The unit was giving up huge chunk plays every game. All this was happening when shazier was on the field as well. so yes, it made a huge difference - but let's not fool ourselves there are other problems that need addressed. Based on the whispers that the mike mitchell era is over and some other guys are being allowed to walk - I'd say the steelers think it's more than shazier as well.
    [URL="http://s43.photobucket.com/user/stimko74/media/slpo9.jpeg.html"]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...o74/slpo9.jpeg[/URL]

2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!