Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AFC North News: Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome stepping down at the end of the 2018 season

Legend

User Info Menu

AFC North News: Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome stepping down at the end of the 2018 season

Ozzie Newsome stepping down after season

Posted by Darin Gantt on February 2, 2018, 1:44 PM EST

Ravens assistant General Manager Eric DeCosta has turned down plenty of chances to move up a chair.

Now, he knows when he will.

Via Jeff Zrebeic of the Baltimore Sun, Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti said that longtime G.M. Ozzie Newsome will step down at the end of next season and that DeCosta would finally take over.

Newsome, 61, will stay on as a consultant after next year, and Bisciotti joked about him being the highest-paid scout in the league.

The Hall of Fame tight end built two Super Bowl champions in Baltimore. He was the league’s first minority G.M.

DeCosta has been tabbed as his successor for years, and has turned down every chance to interview elsewhere, including the Packers this offseason.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/02/ozzie-newsome-stepping-down-after-season/
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Banned

User Info Menu

Ravens really are nose diving. They look like their going to be the new Cleveland Browns of the AFC. One can only hope.

Legend

User Info Menu

Flacco’s contract killed that team. Shoulda gave that money to Anquon Boldin.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Ravens really are nose diving. They look like their going to be the new Cleveland Browns of the AFC. One can only hope.
    It's funny because when people talk about Steelers rivalries with the Bengals or the Patriots all I think about is how there is no team in the NFL I hate more than the Ravens. There is no team I want to see lose more than them.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steve Bisciotti “certainly” thought about a coaching change

Posted by Josh Alper on February 2, 2018, 2:19 PM EST

Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti announced on Friday that 2018 will be General Manager Ozzie Newsome’s final year in that job and he said there was some thought given to having Newsome oversee a search for a new head coach before stepping down.

Bisciotti said he “certainly” thought about replacing John Harbaugh after the Ravens missed the playoffs for the fourth time in the last five years. He said that he was proud of the way the team closed the year as they went 5-2 after the bye week to finish with a 9-7 record, but made it clear that he’s expecting a better outcome in 2018.

“I’m not going to give a playoff [or] bust edict to you all or my coach,” Bisciotti said, via Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun. “He’s under as much pressure than probably he’s ever been in his life. I expect him to keep his chin up … and make the most of the season.”

Bisciotti rejected the idea that the franchise is at a “crossroad,” but it sounds like a new direction could be in the cards if another disappointing season coincides with the end of Newsome’s long run at the top of the personnel department.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/02/steve-bisciotti-certainly-thought-about-a-coaching-change/
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ravens miss the playoffs 4 of 5 years and THINK about a coaching change.

Yet folks think Tomlin is gone if he doesn’t win a SB next year?

Lmao... ok.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It’s funny. I don’t hate the ravens - i respect the team. However I HATE harbaugh. He’s a low class whiny passive aggressive dirtbag.

When it comes to the bungles I don’t hate Marvin Lewis. He’s just a snowflake who sold his soul to mike brown. But I HATE the team for all their low character thugs.

As for the clowns - they have just provided laughs since their return
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    It’s funny. I don’t hate the ravens - i respect the team. However I HATE harbaugh. He’s a low class whiny passive aggressive dirtbag.

When it comes to the bungles I don’t hate Marvin Lewis. He’s just a snowflake who sold his soul to mike brown. But I HATE the team for all their low character thugs.

As for the clowns - they have just provided laughs since their return
    lewis DEFENDS those thugs. and coaches them up that way
    Last edited by LordVile; 02-02-2018 at 11:54 PM.
    Black N' Gold Til' I'm Dead N' Cold...
    [url=http://img203.imageshack.us/i/32023126285034060670100.jpg/]http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/4...4060670100.jpg[/url]
    [url=http://img19.imageshack.us/i/steelertowngal.jpg/]http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/107...lertowngal.jpg[/url]
    We don't have any cheerleaders but we do have a few of these \m/...

Legend

User Info Menu

By Darin Gantt
    Feb 2, 2018, 4:33 PM EST
    Ozzie Newsome: “I still will be a very big part” of Ravens

Even though his run as Ravens General Manager will end after the coming season, Ozzie Newsome said he wasn’t going far.

Owner Steve Bisciotti told reporters Friday that this will be Newsome’s last year and that longtime assistant Eric DeCosta was taking over in 2019, with Newsome transitioning to a consultant role.

“I don’t know what my title will be, but I still will be a very big part of the organization. I’ll be in the building and working with the team every day as usual,” Newsome told the Baltimore Sun. “This is all part of a five-year plan that I worked out with the owner near the end of my contract. Eric will have the title of general manager, which is part of the transition, but there will be very little change. Right now, my focus is on getting ready for the draft, the combine and free agency.”

Bisciotti said that after the 2013 season, Newsome (who turns 62 in March) was given a five-year contract extension which was designed to be his last, and establish the bridge of DeCosta, who has turned away all other chances to interview for G.M. jobs.

A Hall of Fame tight end as a player, Newsome has has been the G.M. since 2002. As the Sun noted, 11 of his 22 first-round picks ended up making at least one Pro Bowl, and they won two Super Bowls. But their traditional success in the draft hasn’t been matched in recent years (and they’ve missed the playoffs four of the last five years), and they’ve missed on some high picks.

But his legacy will be intact with a pair of Super Bowl rings, as well as being the league’s first minority General Manager.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    It's funny because when people talk about Steelers rivalries with the Bengals or the Patriots all I think about is how there is no team in the NFL I hate more than the Ravens. There is no team I want to see lose more than them.

I hate the Bumgals more than any team in the nFL.

I have respect for the Ravens and Pats