Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: AFC North News: Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome stepping down at the end of the 2018 season

Legend

User Info Menu

Ravens holding onto Brandon Carr

Posted by Josh Alper on March 13, 2018, 11:07 AM EDT

The Ravens are set to move on without right tackle Austin Howard and running back Danny Woodhead, but they are going to hold onto cornerback Brandon Carr.

Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun reports that the team will pick up Carr’s option for the 2018 season.

Carr is set to make a base salary of $4.5 million in 2018 and has a roster bonus of $1.5 million. The Ravens could have saved $4 million under the cap by parting ways with Carr, but would have had $3 million in dead money left over and would be counting on Jimmy Smith to make a complete recovery from a torn ACL at the top of their cornerback depth chart.

Carr started all 16 games in his first season with the Ravens, which doesn’t come as much surprise as he has started every game over the course of a 10-year career that’s also featured stops in Kansas City and Dallas. He had 56 tackles and four interceptions last year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/13/ravens-holding-onto-brandon-carr/
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ravens release veteran receiver Jeremy Maclin

Posted by Darin Gantt on March 14, 2018, 1:22 PM EDT

The Ravens signed a couple of wide receivers of varying degrees of production, so they had to let go of a previous attempt to add some pop to their passing game.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the Ravens are releasing Jeremy Maclin.

The move saves $5 million in cap space, and after a 40-catch season, the 29-year-old Maclin was expendable.

The Ravens brought in John Brown and Ryan Grant as replacements for Maclin and free agent Mike Wallace, giving them a new look.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/14/ravens-release-veteran-receiver-jeremy-maclin/
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ozzie Newsome: Robert Griffin III had a good workout, will sign next week

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 4, 2018, 11:58 AM EDT

Robert Griffin III is coming back to the NFL.

Ravens General Manager Ozzie Newsome confirmed today that Griffin worked out in Baltimore, impressed the team, and is ready to become a Raven.

“He came in last week, worked out, had a real good workout, and we were able to come to an agreement late yesterday,” Newsome said. “He will probably be here early next week to sign the deal.”

Griffin had one of the most precipitous falls in NFL history: In 2012 he won the rookie of the year award, led Washington to the playoffs, and was hailed as the NFL’s brightest young star. But he suffered a serious knee injury in that playoff game after the 2012 season and was never the same player again. After the Browns released him after one year in 2016, he was out of football for the entire 2017 season.

Now he’ll get another chance to show that he can at least make an NFL roster, although in Baltimore he’s slated to compete for a backup spot behind Joe Flacco. At age 28, he’s getting a shot at proving he still has something left.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/04/ozzie-newsome-robert-griffin-iii-had-a-good-workout-will-sign-next-week/

Legend

User Info Menu

wth... why do teams in the AFCN keep giving this guy a shot?
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Yeah, Baltimore seemed like a logical eventual landing spot for Colin Kaepernick given John Harbaugh's brother's experiences with him back in San Francisco, but I don't get the RGIII thing.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ravens GM Eric DeCosta states Baltimore has emulated the Steelers’ approach to business

Seems as if the Ravens are emulating their bitter rivals...

By Jeff Hartman

May 15, 2018, 1:52pm EDT

If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em.

This could certainly be the mantra for the Baltimore Ravens under soon-to-be General Manager Eric DeCosta.

DeCosta told the Talk Sports America podcast how the Ravens have attempted to emulate how the Pittsburgh Steelers do business in hopes of becoming more like them. Yes, the fierce rivalry between the two AFC North teams has the Ravens realizing how the Steelers do business, and how they can adjust their own practices.

“We’ve tried to build a sustained culture over a period of time like some of our competitors,” said DeCosta. “We’ve admired the Steelers, even though it’s probably hard for me to say that. Teams like the Steelers who have been able to consistently win … they do it a certain way. And we’ve tried to emulate that … and I think we have to a degree. And I’m proud of that.

“So, in my situation, I’m trying to be patient like I know Ozzie would be patient … Listen, the Ravens are going to be here long after I’m gone and long after Ozzie’s gone, and it’s all about people. I believe you win with people, and we’ve got a great staff … we’ve got great employees here … who can help me succeed and help us succeed.

“It’s still the Ravens’ Way of doing things, and I believe in that. Yes, big shoes (to fill). However, I believe in the people that are going to help me along the way, including Ozzie. I believe in Steve Bisciotti, our owner, and I really believe in John Harbaugh, our head coach. And I think we have the people here to succeed over the next 10, 15 to 20 years.”

When fans talk about the “Steelers Way”, most assume they are referring to Super Bowl victories. Those six trophies at the team headquarters is certainly impressive, but the “Steelers Way” is much more than just winning championships. It is about a level of consistency paralleled by few. It is about not falling for the gimmick and trends throughout the league. It is about building an organization from the foundation up. And, yes, it is about winning.

While Steelers fans might read this and think DeCosta, who will take over full-time as General Manager when Ozzie Newsome retires after the 2018 season, is losing his mind for saying such a thing, if other General Managers were honest they would likely say the same thing.

Since 2007, the Steelers’ worst record has been 8-8. In that same time span, since Mike Tomlin was brought in as the head coach, the team hasn’t suffered a losing season.

Not one.

Despite the fact the Steelers haven’t climbed to the top of the NFL mountain since the 2009 season, they remain one of the few franchises who can be labeled as a gold standard throughout the league. So, while fans of the Ravens might read what DeCosta said and be sick to their stomachs, fault him for saying it publicly, not for doing business the right way.

After all, the “Steelers Way” is by far the way to go.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/5/15/17356256/ravens-gm-eric-decosta-states-baltimore-has-emulated-the-steelers-approach-to-business-nfl-news

Banned

User Info Menu

Ravens finally admitting that they are just hanging on our jock straps. They've copied us since their inception. Black and Purple to our Black and Gold...etc. etc. etc.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Because (unlilke us) they don't trust their own system to develop a backup QB?

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!