Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bell and the franchise tag

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Bell and the franchise tag

I feel we needed to have a thread dedicated to just Bell.

From what i've been researching if the Steelers tag him with the non exclusive tag other teams can negotiate with him and then we have the right to match.
    If we choose not to match, then the other team is on the hook for two #1 picks in consecutive years.
    From my understanding, we cant sign and then trade him because he would count vs. our cap.(current year salary and the whole signing bonus)

If Bell signs the tender, then we can trade him for whatever to any team but does the tender count vs. our cap?
    Very curious to find out the answer.
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

Legend

User Info Menu

The tender counts against the cap as long as the tag is offered by the Steelers. If Bell signs the tag, he can still be traded...then, the charge comes off.
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+# up and wear it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

That was the question i had..
    Are you 100% positive?

Legend

User Info Menu

The tag only guarantees a salary level. Unless he agrees to a long term deal, there would be no signing bonus that would count against the cap...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+# up and wear it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

So lets say Bell signs the tag and we then we proceed to trade him to Oakland for their 1st.
    We have no cap hit.
    Oakland can now try and work out a deal with him or are they locked into the one year tender?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    So lets say Bell signs the tag and we then we proceed to trade him to Oakland for their 1st.
    We have no cap hit.
    Oakland can now try and work out a deal with him or are they locked into the one year tender?
    There is an expiration date for any negotiation period. I think it is June 15 or thereabouts. If a deal isn’t reached by then, Bell is limited to a one year deal.

Technically, a team could sign Bell to an offer sheet after the draft, but before June 15...then, the draft picks would roll over to the next two years...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Not what i was asking.
    If Bell signed the tender with us and then we traded him, could that team work out a contract with him or does he have to play under the one year tender?
    The team that got Bell wouldn't have to give up the two 1st rounders because technically he didnt agree to a contract with the new team and we didnt refuse to match said contract...LOL
    Does that make sense?

Legend

User Info Menu

Not what i was asking.
    If Bell signed the tender with us and then we traded him, could that team work out a contract with him or does he have to play under the one year tender?
    The team that got Bell wouldn't have to give up the two 1st rounders because technically he didnt agree to a contract with the new team and we didnt refuse to match said contract...LOL
    Does that make sense?
    Ah. The Steelers get two first round picks if another team signs him to an offer sheet and the Steelers refuse to match. The Steelers could trade his rights away for less than two first round picks, if they wanted, but once his rights are gone, the Steelers are no longer entitled to those picks.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yes, thats what i hope happens...If they could get a 1st from the Raiders or Browns i'd say do it and get rid of that huge cap hit.

Starter

User Info Menu

Yes, thats what i hope happens...If they could get a 1st from the Raiders or Browns i'd say do it and get rid of that huge cap hit.
    The more I think about it the more likely hood he is gone. I think there are alot of teams out that might be intrested. I might do it for a 2nd and a future 2nd/3rd.

What teams are in need of a RB and have cap space? Indy, Browns, Jets, Redskins ( if Cousin leaves=$$$)

Add in Raiders, Giants, Seattle as list of teams who need a RB. ( do they have $$$?)

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/12/13/salary-cap-increase-2018-season

Would you trade to the Giants, Bell straight up for Jenkins? or Apple/3rd round pick or maybe even Seattle for Sherman?