Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How would youd fix our D?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

How would youd fix our D?

We all agree that our D needs to be ravamped and we need an upgrade at ILB, OLB, S, and extent CB.

But if we had a chance of PLUG IN one dominate play maker, and one average player , either a Rookie or FA, how would you go about fixing our D.

1) Find an upgrade over Hargrove(sp), free up our future starting ILB to make plays, command double team to allow Heyward & Tuit make plays?

2) Upgrade at ILB, find a player to replace Shazier, to cover the short comings of VW. Regardless, we are going to have to find a starter.

3) Updrage at safety, could a play maker cover our weak ILB spot and strength our DB play, thus more time to get pressure from our front 7.

4) Upgrade at CB, allows them to play man to man. Freedom for the safeties to roam up closer to the line of scrimmage.

5) Upgrae at OLB, control the edge, and pressure QB.
    Last edited by steeler_george; 01-23-2018 at 09:21 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

ILB, NT and S plus better discipline/execution on defense.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Rookie

User Info Menu

The problem is that you need a 300+ lb guy who can run so he isn’t useless in passing situations...tough to find those guys...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    The problem is that you need a 300+ lb guy who can run so he isn’t useless in passing situations...tough to find those guys...
    why do we need the NT to play 3 downs? Why can't he play 2 and and rotate Hargrave in on passing downs? Seems like a no brainer to me plus it keeps the DL fresher.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't believe Hargrave or Dupree are as bad as some make him out to be. IMO, these are guys with serious talent not being coached up. I think it starts by firing literally every coach on D and rebuilding. We indeed need an ILB. Likely that will be a first round selection. Second round needs to be safety. I don't think Lake is cutting it as a DB coach.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I think it starts by firing literally every coach on D and rebuilding.
    Or at least finding our Munchak for the defense. I agree that we seriously lack coaching talent on the defensive side.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    why do we need the NT to play 3 downs? Why can't he play 2 and and rotate Hargrave in on passing downs? Seems like a no brainer to me plus it keeps the DL fresher.
    Because the offense can go no huddle and then you can’t substitute or rotate defensive players...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Banned

User Info Menu

If Dupree is indeed the bust that he seems, we need a crap load of linebackers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Because the offense can go no huddle and then you can’t substitute or rotate defensive players...
    gotcha... but they do that not and it has the same effect on DL's. Pats do it all the time and wear teams out.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I honestly think this team was set up to be a top 5 defensive team this year 2018, before the Shazier injury.
    1 or 2 players from, hell I will say it Elite.

Back to reality, what happened to Shazier happened, and we are in even worse position. But I still say we are 1 or 2 players from being above average a Super Bowl Defense. . Look at the Pats D, besides Gilmore and Butler and Chung who stands out?

I am still envious of the Jags' front office how that built that D... Boye in FA, risk and win with Myles Jack.

Regardless of what scenerio we go, we need the obvious to replace Shazier. This would be my first move, not saying singing an all pro, but an upgrade in what we have, a qaulified NFL starter. and then any of these other moves before the draft.

Just for fun sake,

Then it is a toss up between the 1st scenerio in signing a stout NT. I am not down on Hargrove, I actually think he is above averag; however, getting a beast like Poe in the middle is going to free up ouor ILB to make them play faster, by not needing to shed blocks. In addition, he will command double teams, freeing up Heyward and Tuit to make those plays. Might be able to flip between a 3-4 and 4-3 with him in line up.

Some say were can we find the $$$, is it a lock that we re-sign Haden? Did they see enough form Sutton which tells them he can step in?

Another scenrio is a mix of strengthing our CBS... yeah it sounds as though I am giving up on Burns, but add in another elite CB, (Trumaine Johnson), to match up with Haden. This could just as easily strenghten out fron 7, by allowing more time for pressure. More man to man, and should allow our safeties to play more free. Think of that nickle/Dime D... Haden,Trumaine, Burns, Hilton, Sutton, Davis, Mitchell (weakest link) add in project Allen.