Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pitt must change

Backup

User Info Menu

Pitt must change

I don't thing the Steelers will ever will another SB until they changes defense to man to man. This can't be done with the current roaster but at some point drafting players that play in a man to man scheme will have to happen. The style Pitt plays wins games and divisions but lose in the play off's against better man defenses. Great QB play will always beat zone coverage. A great QB will get the ball out before the defense can get to him. Ben said he may play 3 more years, I suggest start laying the foundation with man coverage players after next season and draft heavily that way going into his last year. Those players won't see the field much anyway and we will have a new QB and new defensive scheme after Ben.

Banned

User Info Menu

We don’t have a DC or head coach who want to commit to that. Which is one of the many reasons we won’t win our next championship until after Tomlin is gone.

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree. Just need to find two ProBowl CBs like JAX..... oh wait, they aren't going to the SB either....

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I agree. Just need to find two ProBowl CBs like JAX..... oh wait, they aren't going to the SB either....
    Oh wait, but they kicked our @ss at home twice in one season. Convincing to say the least .

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Ok so besides waiting for #12 to retire or fall off the cliff, what do the Steelers do?

I get the #50's injury was devastating, but do most of us realize that this team stayed pretty healthy throughout the year.

I look at the offensive side of the ball Bell, Brown, Rothlesberber, the O-Line...they all stayed healthy throughout the year.

On the D side of the ball, Haden and Shazier missed significant time.

That is unlikely to happen again next year. Look what happened on the D side of the ball in Seattle this year...devastating. They still hit 9-7 but they weren't the same.

I think for a lot of us that is why this 13-3 season is so painful to realize is done. Everyone was chomping at the bit that we would be with our full arsenal for the first time (hell even the ancillary folks like Bryant, Smith Schuster, McDonald) were ready to go.

So I want everyone to understand that from my point of view...this was a lost opportunity. No I don't have a crystal ball...but you all know the football gods don't smile upon a franchise too often and while I agree the area we could least afford to lose on D happened...I just think you can't count on back to back relatively injury free seasons.

brothervad

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Oh wait, but they kicked our @ss at home twice in one season. Convincing to say the least .
    and it got them to runner up.... sitting at home like the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brothervad View Post
    Ok so besides waiting for #12 to retire or fall off the cliff, what do the Steelers do?

I get the #50's injury was devastating, but do most of us realize that this team stayed pretty healthy throughout the year.

I look at the offensive side of the ball Bell, Brown, Rothlesberber, the O-Line...they all stayed healthy throughout the year.

On the D side of the ball, Haden and Shazier missed significant time.

That is unlikely to happen again next year. Look what happened on the D side of the ball in Seattle this year...devastating. They still hit 9-7 but they weren't the same.

I think for a lot of us that is why this 13-3 season is so painful to realize is done. Everyone was chomping at the bit that we would be with our full arsenal for the first time (hell even the ancillary folks like Bryant, Smith Schuster, McDonald) were ready to go.

So I want everyone to understand that from my point of view...this was a lost opportunity. No I don't have a crystal ball...but you all know the football gods don't smile upon a franchise too often and while I agree the area we could least afford to lose on D happened...I just think you can't count on back to back relatively injury free seasons.

brothervad
    These are some great points. We are more likely going into the playoffs looking like we were that last Divisional game at Denver....than to go in completely healthy like we did this year (minus shazier). Very unlikely to happen again.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brothervad View Post

So I want everyone to understand that from my point of view...this was a lost opportunity. ....

brothervad
    ... I agree with this. History also tells us chances are this team could very well get back to the post season next year. Then all it takes is putting it together for the SB run. This team is not years away... it only takes a few key pieces to get there again.

Rookie

User Info Menu

... I agree with this. History also tells us chances are this team could very well get back to the post season next year. Then all it takes is putting it together for the SB run. This team is not years away... it only takes a few key pieces to get there again.
    Yep. We aren’t light years away.
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Looks like the Planet will be a fun place to visit over the next 9 months. Gloom, doom, Harrison, Bell, Tomlin.

I’m kidding but man it’s been a rough couple of weeks. Well we still got the Pirates...oh wait they just traded Cutch and Cole. Damn.....