Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Butler needs to go as well

Legend

User Info Menu

Butler needs to go as well

His defense has been trash in the playoffs.
    ILB
    DL
    S
    RB
    WR
    LB

Legend

User Info Menu

I said this in another thread, but Butler’s job is to put players in position to succeed. Who did he not put in position to succeed? Hell, he put Sean Spence in position, and Spence, unfortunately, could not get it done. IMO, the position coaches are more to blame for players not succeeding...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+# up and wear it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Neither could Mitchell, Vince Williams or the Defensive line.....
    This is a perfect time for Tomlin to take on a bigger role in the defense and hire his own guy.
    This way he can transform away from this 3-4 defense that needs 4 solid LBers which we clearly dont have.
    Maybe this will keep him focused more on developing the defensive side of the ball and let the offensive guys do their thing.
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

Legend

User Info Menu

Vince Williams had 89 tackles and 8 sacks...as a sixth round draft pick...he was fine...

Heyward had 12 sacks and was voted All-Pro...

Hilton came out of nowhere and became a top flight nickel CB...

The players were in position, some of them just didn’t get it done...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+# up and wear it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Vince Williams was clueless in the playoff game and overwhelmed.
    Vince played next to Shazier most of the year.
    When Shazier was injured Vinces' play deteriorated.
    Yes Cam had a great year but where was he when we needed to stop the run?
    Stop using your stats to make everything seem so sun-shiny.

Hilton was good, but how many times was Butler going to use the same blitz?
    Brady saw it and laughed.
    Butler has hit his peak i think.
    Tomlins background is a defensive one, lets see what he comes up with.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Vince Williams was clueless in the playoff game and overwhelmed.
    Vince played next to Shazier most of the year.
    When Shazier was injured Vinces' play deteriorated.
    Yes Cam had a great year but where was he when we needed to stop the run?
    Stop using your stats to make everything seem so sun-shiny.

Hilton was good, but how many times was Butler going to use the same blitz?
    Brady saw it and laughed.
    Butler has hit his peak i think.
    Tomlins background is a defensive one, lets see what he comes up with.
    I’m not making anything sun shiny...I’m mere illustrating how Butler put guys in the right spot...he can’t make the plays for them...he also isn’t responsible for teaching the right technique...that falls on position coaches...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It seems that his is your new rallying cry, "the players are put in position but they didn't get it done'
    Vince was in great position on that first play by the jags, LOL.
    Mitchell was definitely in good position playing cover 1 when he was needed up near the LOS in run support....yup

Legend

User Info Menu

As opposed to my rallying cry for the offense: The players got it done, but often weren’t in the best position to do so...

Legend

User Info Menu

And, was Brady laughing? As I recall he was sacked twice and threw a pick to Vince...They were fortunate that Al Riveron bailed them out at the end of the game...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Defenses with better players than the Steelers played just as poorly at times as the Steelers defense. Sometimes you play well and sometimes you don't. That's life in the NFL.

I don't think it's time to make coaching changes. I believe the Steelers either need to add some play makers or hope the guys they drafted on defense develop into more consistent play makers. They need to find a suitable replacement for Shahzier in the middle. I don't believe VW is a long term answer either.

Dupree needs to get better. Although I thought there were times he didn't finish sacks because he seem to be afraid to draw a penalty.