Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Off season focus-Defense

Legend

User Info Menu

Off season focus-Defense

Looking at the off season, I am hoping the organization is taking notes from the Defenses that are left in the playoffs. Their front 7's are built to get pressure on the QB, and stop the run.

I am not sure how much of our needs are related to "Personnel" changes, and how much of it is "Scheme". Regardless, we have time to analyze and address those issues. Is it as simple as switching to a 4-3? I honestly don't know. I do know that we need a stud ILB that can "Fill". I also believe we need a replacement for Mitchell.

CB is one of those positions that we will have to continue to "Coach up".... and work with what we've got. I think we are okay there. Haden is a huge piece, and needs to be retained. Hopefully Sutton and Allen continue to develop.

Because the D-Line was neutralized yesterday, our lack of OLB presence was magnified. Again, how much of this was "Scheme/Assignment" related, and how much of it was lack of talent? Regardless, our top focus this off season should be to get pressure on the QB with the front 7... and stop the run.

Offensively, we need a competent OC. Perhaps that's a topic/discussion for another thread.

Legend

User Info Menu

I like Watt but I think he may have hit the wall. Not sure but he seemed to run way too far up field and made it easy for the OT.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Need personnel upgrades AND scheme changes

Williams and Spence are just too slow in the middle. Mitchell and Gay have been a good soldiers but time for their discharge.

I do advocate a change to a 4-3 because Hargrave is a good DT but he's not the guy to anchor the middle of a 3-4. He'd be an excellent DT in a 4-3 and get a "jumbo" like McCullers to man the other position

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Looking at the off season, I am hoping the organization is taking notes from the Defenses that are left in the playoffs. Their front 7's are built to get pressure on the QB, and stop the run.

I am not sure how much of our needs are related to "Personnel" changes, and how much of it is "Scheme". Regardless, we have time to analyze and address those issues. Is it as simple as switching to a 4-3? I honestly don't know. I do know that we need a stud ILB that can "Fill". I also believe we need a replacement for Mitchell.

CB is one of those positions that we will have to continue to "Coach up".... and work with what we've got. I think we are okay there. Haden is a huge piece, and needs to be retained. Hopefully Sutton and Allen continue to develop.

Because the D-Line was neutralized yesterday, our lack of OLB presence was magnified. Again, how much of this was "Scheme/Assignment" related, and how much of it was lack of talent? Regardless, our top focus this off season should be to get pressure on the QB with the front 7... and stop the run.

Offensively, we need a competent OC. Perhaps that's a topic/discussion for another thread.
    Teams left: [Rush D ranking] [Sack Ranking]

Eagles [1] [15t]
    Patriots [20] [7t]
    Jags [21] [2]
    Vikings [2] [17t]

Steelers [10] [2]

The Steelers had a better run D than half the remaining teams and more sacks than all the remaining teams (and all the eliminated teams). They did build their D to stop the run and pressure the QB. They arguably did so at least as well as all the remaining teams.

The problem with our D was lack of depth at ILB. Shazier was great. Williams was league average. Everyone else wasn't good. So when we lost Shazier, Williams had to be the guy and he's not good enough for that. Then when Williams went out of the game in the first half, we were playing two guys that could just as easily be watching from the couch. You can't have great depth at every position. Unfortunately, we got burned gambling on the health of our ILBs.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post

Williams and Spence are just too slow in the middle. Mitchell and Gay have been a good soldiers but time for their discharge.

I do advocate a change to a 4-3 because Hargrave is a good DT but he's not the guy to anchor the middle of a 3-4. He'd be an excellent DT in a 4-3 and get a "jumbo" like McCullers to man the other position
    Oviedo, I don't know enough about the 4-3. Could we somehow run Heyward, Tuitt, Hargrave and Alualu? Or would we be missing a guy that's "big enough"?

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post

All this talk in numerous threads about fire this person and that person, I don't think I've seen Dupree's name come up. Was he even at the game yesterday?

Legend

User Info Menu

Hmm.. it seems we have very solid depth at every position besides Linebacker. ILB was not addressed this year, and it bit us down the stretch.

And im not convinced that the Steelers have a better run defense than half of the teams remaining. Of course Im not one for season long rankings as it relates to current talent in the playoffs. We had the benefit of playing Cleveland twice, whereas most teams in the league don't.
    Last edited by Ernie; 01-15-2018 at 11:50 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelguin View Post
    All this talk in numerous threads about fire this person and that person, I don't think I've seen Dupree's name come up. Was he even at the game yesterday?
    yes, and he put up similar stats to what he's been showing recently.

Rookie

User Info Menu

The Steelers Defense finished the season like this:

#5 in total defense
    #5 in passing defense
    #10 in rushing defense
    #7 in scoring defense
    #1 in sacks
    #9 in INTs
    #7 in 3rd down conversion %

Overall, the defensive scheme seems to work well...

Now, where the breakdowns occurred were far too many big plays allowed on defense (passing for the most part, but also some rushing).

If these breakdowns were the result of the basic scheme, I guess you could justify a wholesale switch to a full time 4-3 alignment...but, I don’t think that’s the case...I think that tendencies were exploited and, overall, mental lapses by players (specifically young players)...throw in the injuries and you have a recipe for disaster.

On top of that, the defensive performance and game plan for the playoff game were disastrous.

Upon further review, I truly believe that, if you decide to change everything and install an entirely new defense, then you are giving up on next year.

I think it would be better to analyze players, position coaches, and particular schemes than a complete change. If the Steelers were to ditch Butler, which I doubt will happen, I think it would be best to maintain some kind of continuity on a 13-3, #2 playoff seeded team.
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think Sean Spence was horrible. He didn't play well when they put him in immediately after Shazier was hurt and I don't think he improved with playing time. He is not big and strong and not fast either. I would have thought Moats could contribute at that position, but Spence kept him on the bench so that must be interpreted as the coaches did not think he could. If there was a bad coaching decision it was to acquire and play Spence, in my mind.

I know after losses, fans always attack the coaches and the players less so, but I don't think the Steelers defense is as talented as some say it is. They lead the league in sacks and were a top 5-7 defense statistically; so, in my mind the coaches did the job. The players just weren't good enough yesterday,