Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Get rid of Bell? Nooo.. get rid of Gay, Mitchell, Golden, Dirty Red etc

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Now it's coming out that Bell blew off the walkthrough the day before the Jags game, and arrived very late on game day. Hope he's not on the wacky-tobakky again. At any rate, all the more reason to let him walk, IMO. His attitude is part of the culture problem with the Steelers; if he isn't going to be committed to the team, they shouldn't make a contract commitment to him.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/leveon-bell-reportedly-blew-off-steelers-walkthrough-before-jaguars-loss/
    I was going to post this....

Maybe it was blown out of proportion, but maybe this is what Decastro and Heyward were talking about without calling anyone out and keeping it in-house.

Is it time to part ways, yes he is a baller, but can that money be used elsewhere in FA... LB, CB, S and RB.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers-

Le'Veon Bell Reportedly Skipped Most of Final Walkthrough Before Jaguars Game

ADAM WELLS

JANUARY 19, 2018

Fallout from the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://bleacherreport.com/pittsburgh-steelers)' 45-42 playoff loss against the Jacksonville Jaguars

last Sunday continues, as running back Le'Veon Bell reportedly missed the team's final walkthrough before the game.
    Per Ed Bouchette Bell arrived at Pittsburgh's Saturday practice about five minutes before it ended.
    Bouchette also noted Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin wants players and coaches to report into the locker room no later than two hours before kickoff for games, but Bell showed up "arrive much later than that" for the Jaguars game.
    Problems behind the scenes were an issue for the Steelers last season.
    Jason La Canfora (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/relationship-between-ben-roethlisberger-todd-haley-showing-signs-of-friction-again/) of CBSSports.com reported in December that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger wanted a buffer between himself and offensive coordinator Todd Haley.

The Steelers announced on Wednesday that Haley's contract would not be renewed for the 2018 season.
    Bell is scheduled to become a free agent this offseason after playing last season under the franchise tag for $12.1 million. The two-time All-Pro told ESPN.com's Jeremy Fowler

he would consider retiring or sitting out next season if he receives the franchise tag again.
    In 15 games last season, Bell ran for 1,291 yards, had 655 receiving yards and tallied 11 total touchdowns

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

we should pay him even more now

Legend

User Info Menu

Biggest concern with Bell is that his focus doesn’t always seem to be where it’s needed. Missing walkthroughs (if accurate), discussions about his contract during playoff weeks, sitting out pre-season etc. This from a player that has had issues with discipline already.

Is he a great RB? Absolutely.

But can we get better value and a better team motivated player and still be successful? Probably.

Connor, Ridley and a rookie pass catching type RB, I think you get a nice mix of players to fill the void left at a fraction of the cost.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Biggest concern with Bell is that his focus doesn’t always seem to be where it’s needed. Missing walkthroughs (if accurate), discussions about his contract during playoff weeks, sitting out pre-season etc. This from a player that has had issues with discipline already.

Is he a great RB? Absolutely.

But can we get better value and a better team motivated player and still be successful? Probably.

Connor, Ridley and a rookie pass catching type RB, I think you get a nice mix of players to fill the void left at a fraction of the cost.
    I am still split on this, he is prob best back in the game, but can we role the dice and still get production minus him from the RB position. At this time, I don't think we have anyone on the roster who can step in. We wiould need to draft a RB pretty high ( I have been reading it is a deep position again this year) or maybe make a splash in FA...

And with his cap savings, is there anyone worth spending that money on to upgrade the team?

Rookie

User Info Menu

I posted this in another thread...

I would call Green Bay...

They desperately need playmakers in both the passing game and the running game. See if they would sign Bell and trade us their 1st round pick (#16 I believe) and FS Ha Ha Clinton-Dix...Clinton-Dix made the Pro Bowl in their defense which is similar to ours and I have no doubt that he would be an upgrade...

With the #16 pick, we would be in a position to move up a few spots if necessary to draft Roquon Smith. Then, with our #28 pick, the Steelers could still get one of the top rated RBs.

So, we would subtract Bell, Mitchell, and, unfortunately, Shazier...

We would add Clinton-Dix, R. Smith, and a top rated RB...and, we would
    most likely save cap space now and in the future...

Our offense would be downgraded a bit, but with Ben, our O Line, Brown, JuJu, McDonald, Bryant, etc., there would not be the pressure on a back to perform like Bell...

Our defense would be dramatically upgraded at two positions of weakness...

Then, the remainder of the draft would simply be drafting BPA for competition and depth at whatever spots were needed (ie. NOT QB)...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post

They desperately need playmakers in both the passing game and the running game. See if they would sign Bell and trade us their 1st round pick (#16 I believe) and FS Ha Ha Clinton-Dix...Clinton-Dix made the Pro Bowl in their defense which is similar to ours and I have no doubt that he would be an upgrade...

With the #16 pick, we would be in a position to move up a few spots if necessary to draft Roquon Smith. Then, with our #28 pick, the Steelers could still get one of the top rated RBs.

Our offense would be downgraded a bit, but with Ben, our O Line, Brown, JuJu, McDonald, Bryant, etc., there would not be the pressure on a back to perform like Bell...

Then, the remainder of the draft would simply be drafting BPA for competition and depth at whatever spots were needed (ie. NOT QB)...
    I like it.

Colbert, are you reading this?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Anyone can get 1,000 yards in our offense as long as they can stay healthy. I really do believe that. (When I say anyone, I mean an NFL caliber talent. Not Fitz Touissant obviously.) Deangelo had a great year that one year. I think Connor could probably reach 1,000 as long as he could remain upright (a big if, of course). Someone mentioned Carlos Hyde. Hyde would be a star with us. Would he be Bell, probably not. But at less than half the cost ($16m vs. say $8-9m for Hyde), it is an easy decision. He1l, if Bell thinks he can make that dough someone else, we have to let the young man try.

But for us to pay him that much? That's suicide.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post

This sounds good, however, Smith is probably going in the top 10, possibly the top 5, moving from 16 to 10 the Steelers would have to give up their 2nd, to move to 5 they would have to give up their 28th pick, I just don't see this happening. I don't think a team would give up their #1 and a pro-bowl safety for Bell, maybe but I don't think so.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Rookie

User Info Menu

If Smith makes it into the top 5, it will be a tremendous coup on his part...ILBs, however talented, don’t go top 5...even Kuechly wasn’t a top 5 pick and while Smith is highly regarded, I don’t know if he has the same hype as Kuechly did...

It’s all a pipe dream anyway...it’s just that they are desperate for a playmaker to go along with Rodgers...if a team elects to sign Bell, they will owe 2 first rounders...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.