Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Get rid of Bell? Nooo.. get rid of Gay, Mitchell, Golden, Dirty Red etc

Legend

User Info Menu

Get rid of Bell? Nooo.. get rid of Gay, Mitchell, Golden, Dirty Red etc

I see folks once again saying to get rid of Bell to sure up the defense. Why not get rid of players on defense who are too expensive or too old or just plain old average guys?

Why punish the offense and put Ben in harms way when it's the defense who sucks moose knuckles?
    ILB
    DL
    S
    RB
    WR
    LB

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Golden at least is a contributor on Special Teams but he's easily replaced.
    I'd love to see GAY retire and become a coach.
    MITCHELL please please please give him the boot!!!
    I think FREE SAFETY is a HUGE priority in the off season.
    Someone capable of covering half (or even the entire deep zone in Cover 1) the field in Cover 2.
    Mitchell has NO ball tracking skills.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Golden at least is a contributor on Special Teams but he's easily replaced.
    I'd love to see GAY retire and become a coach.
    MITCHELL please please please give him the boot!!!
    I think FREE SAFETY is a HUGE priority in the off season.
    Someone capable of covering half (or even the entire deep zone in Cover 1) the field in Cover 2.
    Mitchell has NO ball tracking skills.
    Mitchell isn't worth 8 mill next year. I don't see who folks keep wanting to get rid of Bell when we can kill 2 birds with one stone. We also have been drafting defense in the first round the last 3 or 4 years.
    ILB
    DL
    S
    RB
    WR
    LB

Starter

User Info Menu

Should have went for 2 at the end of the game yesterday.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Mitchell isn't the answer back there. How much of the 8 million do we take as a cap hit...even if we cut him? That's the question.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Mitchell isn't the answer back there. How much of the 8 million do we take as a cap hit...even if we cut him? That's the question.
    not sure.. but I think we can find another $10 mill by trimming the fat on the defensive side of the ball.

and real talk. What did Heyward and Tuitt do yesterday? All this talk about Bell and Mitchell but Heyward talked as well and gets paid a nice amount of money. Not hating on Cam, I like him but I think people are spending too much time discussing Bell when he brings it every week. EVERY week.
    ILB
    DL
    S
    RB
    WR
    LB

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    not sure.. but I think we can find another $10 mill by trimming the fat on the defensive side of the ball.

and real talk. What did Heyward and Tuitt do yesterday? All this talk about Bell and Mitchell but Heyward talked as well and gets paid a nice amount of money. Not hating on Cam, I like him but I think people are spending too much time discussing Bell when he brings it every week. EVERY week.
    No question Bell brings it every week. It all comes down to money, and what he is willing to accept. Heyward and Tuitt were non factors yesterday. Our problem, though, is linebacker play.

Legend

User Info Menu

Mitchell isn't worth 8 mill next year. I don't see who folks keep wanting to get rid of Bell when we can kill 2 birds with one stone. We also have been drafting defense in the first round the last 3 or 4 years.
    Mitchell, Wilcox and Sensabaugh are likely all gone next year. Almost forgot William Gay. That will clear about $10.7 million in cap space but also leave the team with $4.6 million or so in dead money. That's part of the problem with restructuring - Mitchell would have less dead money if he wasn't restructured.

Cutting those guys doesn't even get the Steelers to point where they can sign Bell. Or fill out the rest of the 53.

The Steelers have a lot of work to do with the cap.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I see folks once again saying to get rid of Bell to sure up the defense. Why not get rid of players on defense who are too expensive or too old or just plain old average guys?

Why punish the offense and put Ben in harms way when it's the defense who sucks moose knuckles?
    I’m fine with keeping Golden around. He’s a depth guy that has value on special teams. Mitchell should have been cut at halftime.

Legend

User Info Menu

The Steelers need to franchise Bell with the non-exclusive Franchise Tag. They need to allow him to negotiate with other teams and learn what his market value really is.

The Steelers would then have the right to match any offer made and would receive two first round draft picks in compensation if they chose not to.

That way, after this offseason, it can be put to bed one way or another.

Two highly paid players this season who caused distractions were Bell and Mitchell. Cutting Mitchell saves about $7 million and leaves about $1.5 million or so in dead money.

Bell would either be happy because he got paid or he would be on another team and the Steelers would have the ability to restock with premium picks.

Allow Bell to find out what teams will pay him. He might be surprised...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+# up and wear it.