Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben says-------

Backup

User Info Menu

In the NFL everybody is good, and the space from Cleveland to NE is not all that enormous. A few boneheaded plays or a slight upgrade can make all the difference. Losing Shazier was huge. The coaching mistakes were huge. Not like we are lightyears away, but absolutely need to up the defensive game.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brothervad View Post
    Live here in Seattle and I will tell you first hand that the imbalance on one side of the ball is a big deal. I am not suggesting we get rid of anyone but it is noticeable there is a lack of big name talent on the back 8 of this 3-4 scheme.

Shazier was the closest thing to a big time LB. But think about it...Watt is not there yet but he is on his way, Dupree is nowhere near the threat we used to have on that side of the ball

ILB's Farrior/Foote
    OLB's Harrison/Woodley
    CB's Taylor/McFadden
    S Polamalu/Clark

Now don't get me wrong, I am not expecting us to match some of those guys as they were once in a lifetime guys (Polamalu especially) but Mitchell can't even carry Clark's jockstrap IMHO.

We just don't have enough on the D side of the ball right now. It's not rocket science. Just looking over that team in its hey day and looking at our current roster on that side and it's obvious we have a huge talent gap right now.

brothervad
    You're right. We've spent a ton of high picks on that side of the ball too. Jones and Dupree are colossal busts. And think of all the DBs we've wasted picks on. Somebody in the scouting dept and/or coaching staff needs to be held accountable.

Heyward and Tuitt are supposed to be difference makers. Haden is the best CB we've had in years. But yeah, when you're relying on scrubs like Spence and Fort.....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Haven't you heard? Mitchell is OK... it's the rest of the DBs making mistakes.
    Did you see how lost he looked on the deep ball when he ran past the play? (not the Burns play later in the game)
    My son asked where was Mitchell going?
    Can't play the ball in the air.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Just listened to Bens after game interview and a reporter asked why they dont run the QB sneak when he's been successful 18 of 19 times in his career.
    He said they don't practice the QB sneak and really don't have one.
    Add that to the long list of reasons to fire the coaching staff.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Add that to the long list of reasons to fire the coaching staff.
    Wow... yea that is reason enough to fire the whole damned staff.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Guys. Get real. There is no way that Tomlin is going to be fired after going 13-3 and getting a home playoff game. That is an emotional, Jerry Jones type move. Now, assistants? Specifically Haley being allowed to leave quietly? Okay...I can see that. Especially if the “Ben asked for a buffer” stories are true.

Butler? After only two years and a top 5 defense that set a team record for sacks? And the injuries he had to deal with? Also pretty reactionary...

You have to look at the entire body of work...the entire season...it isn’t as bad as all that...

This game sucked. And, it was a wasted opportunity...no doubt...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

No he's not going to get fired, we all know that...He should be put on notice though that making the playoffs isnt enough.
    Mike, in 2018 you can pick your own coordinators and now it's your ship to steer while you still have a franchise QB.
    You have three years, Go.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    The "Bipolar" defense
    Awesome one minute, an absolute train wreck the next.
    The sad part is that the Steelers didn't need awesome today, average to slightly below average would have been good enough.

Pappy

Trade 20 & 119 to Tampa for 26/57

1.26 - Graham Barton, OC/G, Duke
    2.51 - Xavier Leggette, WR, South Carolina
    2.57 - Braden Fiske, DT, FSU
    3.84 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    3.98 - T'Vondre Sweat, DT, Texas
    7.178 - Joe Milton III, QB, Tennessee
    7.195 - Omar Speights, LB, LSU

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Guys. Get real. There is no way that Tomlin is going to be fired after going 13-3 and getting a home playoff game. That is an emotional, Jerry Jones type move. Now, assistants? Specifically Haley being allowed to leave quietly? Okay...I can see that. Especially if the “Ben asked for a buffer” stories are true.

Butler? After only two years and a top 5 defense that set a team record for sacks? And the injuries he had to deal with? Also pretty reactionary...

You have to look at the entire body of work...the entire season...it isn’t as bad as all that...

I agree, you have to look at the entire body of work, but when do you say, "this team isn't getting over the hump" and try something different? This Steelers team is the most talented in the league right now and they're not playing in the AFCCG and they did last year. You could say that the team regressed and be absolutely correct. I'm not a "fire everyone" fan, but this loss is nearly as bad as 1994 (I think) versus the Chargers.

Pappy

Trade 20 & 119 to Tampa for 26/57

1.26 - Graham Barton, OC/G, Duke
    2.51 - Xavier Leggette, WR, South Carolina
    2.57 - Braden Fiske, DT, FSU
    3.84 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    3.98 - T'Vondre Sweat, DT, Texas
    7.178 - Joe Milton III, QB, Tennessee
    7.195 - Omar Speights, LB, LSU

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post

How about looking at even the bigger picture. More than this year. The defense wasn't up to par last year, played like Jekyll & Hyde this year, and well, Butler isn't getting it done. Time to move on from him as well.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion