Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fake News is Damaging the NFL

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    I don't watch any network 'news' channels because of this - but I don't think CNN, or MSNBC are any shining beacons of honest journalism. I read the headlines in Yahoo for the entertainment value alone. Newspapers are essentially dinosaurs, talk radio is empty rhetoric - the truth is, there is no honest unbiased media source out there.

but for the record - i HAVE been to Haiti. it is indeed a $hithole.........
    neither do i but there was a time when I watched all of them when I used to debate coworkers.

One thing I realized is while CNN and MSNBC were left leaning and sensational at times...

Fox News was next level with their agenda. Their highest rated shows were downright dishonest at times. That Sean Hannity is a lying sack of sh#t
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    92% of Fox News viewers didn't laugh at Trump mumbling and mouthing the wrong words to the National Anthem during the Alabama / Georgia game. And that's what's wrong with America.

We're overly hypersensitive to everything. We fear being wrong. We're insecure about our intelligence. And we've become so brainwashed by information that we consume in tiny snippets, we're blind to see anything close to the reality happening around us.

At the end of the day, all that matters is that we are entertained and pass the time enjoyably until we die. The majority of people are too tense to be able to relax and just enjoy life.

The news, social media, advertising, etc. mess up our perceptions of everything. We're all consuming so much information there's no time to think critically about any one thing to sufficient depth. The only rational reaction imho to everything happening around us is to laugh.

You can be rich or poor, Democrat or Republican, Christian or Atheist, etc. and the one common bond we can all have is to not take ourselves too seriously and to laugh at ourselves and with others. Any other reaction is fugged up.
    spot on.. great post.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2011/11/21/fox-news-viewers-uninformed-npr-listeners-not-poll-suggests/#4389b3344fd8
    http://cfif.org/v/index.php/commentary/54-state-of-affairs/2339-republicans-more-informed-than-democrats-according-to-pew-research

I guess all the Republicans are listening to NPR and all the Democrats are loyal Fox viewers!

You can do this all day. As other posters have pointed out, it solves nothing. This is a STEELERS FOOTBALL BOARD. There is enough division on this board over football and Steeler related topics already. We don't need to have people posting garbage links that purport to show how this or that group of political partisans are smarter than the other side.

It is ridiculous. But American politics has been little more than a thinly disguised team sport for several decades now at least so maybe this topic does belong on a sports forum.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCHammer View Post
    http://cfif.org/v/index.php/commentary/54-state-of-affairs/2339-republicans-more-informed-than-democrats-according-to-pew-research

I guess all the Republicans are listening to NPR and all the Democrats are loyal Fox viewers!

You can do this all day. As other posters have pointed out, it solves nothing. This is a STEELERS FOOTBALL BOARD. There is enough division on this board over football and Steeler related topics already. We don't need to have people posting garbage links that purport to show how this or that group of political partisans are smarter than the other side.

It is ridiculous. But American politics has been little more than a thinly disguised team sport for several decades now at least so maybe this topic does belong on a sports forum.
    Okay, if you want to refer to Forbes as garbage...I’m sure that they would beg to differ...but, I don’t work for Forbes or the Pew Research Center, so what do I know?

At any rate, this is a public forum. If the mods elect to
    move this to another section, so be it. In the meantime, lighten up
    a bit...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Starter

User Info Menu

Any "study", "survey" or "poll" that seeks to prove a ridiculous partisan premise such as Republicans smarter or the Democrats are more informed is inherently garbage. Dressing it up by putting a Forbes label on it does not change that. If you actually have a conversation with a real live person about issues in the news you will find that group x tends to be misinformed by the standards of group y and vice versa. This is true on issue after issue because of the way "news" is presented varies. The same event is spun two completely different ways or (not even covered at all) on one network versus another. At this point, the wisest Americans tune it all out while many of the more "informed" folks are just wearing blinders and lapping up what they want to hear. The entire American political news media is just a runaway train of confirmation bias. That's my view anyway. You are welcome to your own.

Legend

User Info Menu

Fox News sucks

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Another sore LIB upset that they lost the monopoly on Propaganda and have to share it w/ their political opponents.

Just so you know you only make sense when talking to people who already agree with you.
    To everyone else you're a clanging symbol and look like a morphadite
    Actually, I was only commenting on the fact that the only main-stream media (and yes, Fox is also MSM) that presented an almost one-sided perspective that would lead people to believe NFL players were flag burning black troglodytes was Fox.

This is pretty much verifiable fact. You don't have to share my opinion to go back through the news and verify that I'm right.

So I conclude that they must be fox viewers. Nobody who watched any of the other sites or read the WSJ (which is also right leaning) would be predisposed by their viewing habits to believe this picture to be true. (Now -this- is opinion. Only those who already agree with me will agree with me on this).

At some point NFL (and other sports) crossed over from being a mere spectator sport to an organization involved in social issues. This happened way before Kaepernick. Players have recognized their privileged position and used it to benefit society for eons. We lost one of our best baseballers that way, remember? Guy by name of Clemente.

Its kinda shutting one's eyes to pretend there's no social aspect to the NFL. I doubt anyone would call Cowher an overpaid Janitor.

Legend

User Info Menu

As a general rule of thumb I tell all of my Fox News watching friends. People who watch Fox News are idiots. People who don't watch Fox News are idiots too (for different reasons of course). Bottom line is we're all idiots who know nothing.

If you have an emotional reaction to a news story you read or hear, that's a good sign it's a bunch of bs. The smart people that create news understand that emotions are more powerful than facts.

The goal of every media outlet is to evoke an emotional reaction which in turn leads to engagement which ultimately funds the media source. Media is no different than religion. Although religions at least admit that they are based on faith (emotion) and bereft of facts while the media on the other hand tries to pretend they have a factual basis.

I think of most media outlets as being similar to the WWE. Old people's reactions to Fox News are eerily similar to the way little kids react to Hulk Hogan or the Macho Man. It's cute how excited the get and think it's real. Trump getting people riled up about the flag isn't that much different that when Sgt Slaughter turned against the US and joined forces with the Iron Shiek in the 80s. The WWE did a brilliant job in getting people enraged. And then later in the 80s remember when Dr D beat up John Stossel on 20/20 and made him go deaf in one ear for calling wrestling fake.

Fox News is like the WWE. CNN is the NWA. The internet is ECW for the hard core wrestling fan. It's all fake. Some people though really get into it. And it can be great entertainment if you can suspend your disbelief in the moment you are consuming it. The majority are always going to be too cool to admit this stuff is entertaining. So it's best we consume this stuff privately, enjoy it for what it is, but keep it in perspective as our dirty little form of entertainment.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    huh? I think the Fox News dig is spot on. They did a study and the most uninformed news viewers were Fox News viewers
    Yes, but the study was conducted by CNN.

*Please note that the preceding statement was not meant as a political commentary, but was strictly in the interest of unbiased humor. Please direct any reaction to my email address: steeler_fan_in_t.o.@foxnews.com