Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bell could sit out next year

Legend

User Info Menu

Bell could sit out next year

Michael Wyke/Associated Press
    Pittsburgh Steelers running back Le'Veon Bell is apparently prepared to play hardball with his current team as he seeks a new long-term contract this offseason.
    According to ESPN.com's Jeremy Fowler, Bell said Thursday he "would definitely consider" sitting out the 2018 season or retiring if the Steelers use the franchise tag on him for a second straight season.
    Bell added he "hope[s] it doesn't come to that" regarding a possible stalemate between him and the Steelers.
    The three-time Pro Bowler played the 2017 season on a one-year tender worth $12.1 million. He held out until Sept. 4 before officially signing the contract, missing virtually all of Pittsburgh's preseason preparations.

According to CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora, Bell would make $14.54 million if the Steelers franchise-tagged him again. To put that figure in perspective, Tampa Bay Buccaneers running back Doug Martin is set to have the highest base salary at the position in 2018 at only $6.75 million,
    In the short term, Bell stands to gain a lot by signing the franchise tender. His desire for more long-term stability is understandable, though.
    Since 2013, only LeSean McCoy has more touches than Bell, according to Pro Football Reference even though Bell has played all 16 games in a season just once. The 25-year-old has logged 1,229 carries and 312 receptions.

Running back is an unforgiving position for players in their late 20s and early 30s. While Bell is still relatively young, his increased workload in recent years could mean an earlier decline.
    Bell's earning power may never be higher than it is this offseason, so it's little surprise he's willing to do whatever it takes to get as much money as possible—whether from the Steelers or another team.
    Last edited by fordfixer; 01-11-2018 at 10:50 PM.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Do you proof read your threads after you post bro?

Its a mess...LOL
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

Backup

User Info Menu

I'ma need 15 mill a year and they know this.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I'ma need 15 mill a year and they know this.
    But he's not "Doing it for the money"... he's doing it for Melvin Gordon etc etc. lol

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    But he's not "Doing it for the money"... he's doing it for Melvin Gordon etc etc. lol
    What's that saying, "Whenever they say it's not about the money ..." ?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post

Its a mess...LOL
    Yeah sorry was posting from my phone while on lunch break at work didn’t have time to edit it like normal

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post

Its a mess...LOL
    Hope it meets your specifications now

Molon labe

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think that there is pretty much no way that he sits out next year.

His only leverage is to threaten to hold out. But, if he does he's leaving a **** load of money on the table AND then he'd be looking to make that money up after sitting out a year and being one year older.

I get that it makes sense for him to threaten to sit out. But, I can't believe that he would sit out more than a few games (and likely none at all).

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben could retire

Bell could sit out

Shazier could play again

we have no idea what the future holds.
    1) Chidobe Awuzie - CB, Colorado.
    2) Tim Williams - LB, Bama.
    3) Josh Jones S, NCState.
    3 Comp) Isaiah Ford, WR - VTech.
    4) Kareem Hunt - RB, Toledo.
    5) Josh Dobbs - QB, Tenn.
    6) Greg Pike - G/OT, Georgia.
    7) Isaac Rochell - DL, ND.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Ben could retire

Bell could sit out

Shazier could play again

we have no idea what the future holds.
    But let's talk about it before the playoff game!
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+# up and wear it.