Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Landry Jones to start at QB against CLE

Legend

User Info Menu

Landry Jones to start at QB against CLE

Just saw where Landry Jones was named the starter against the Browns.

Legend

User Info Menu

with potential home field advantage throughout the playoffs on the line..... any takers?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think it is a good decision. Let's make sure Le'Veon and Big Ben are sufficiently rested and won't have any injury issues. Cleveland is the most hapless franchise in the NFL, and haven't gotten a win this season. Their players will not be killing themselves in this one to get the win, plus it will be cold. Pittsburghs backups will be more excited than Clevelands players because they will be getting an opportunity, and are headed to the playoffs. I think there is a good chance the Steelers can win with the backups.

It isn't really likely that the Jets will beat NE in NE. Having the most important players, healthy and ready for the playoffs is more important than playing them against Cleveland. Having them healthy is more important than which stadium the championship game is played, if they do in fact meet.

Anyway, if NE does secure home field advantage, they still have to beat an opponent and the Steelers still have to beat an opponent for both teams to make the championship game. I don't think you can assume either NE or Pittsburgh will win their first game. So there is still an opportunity for Pittsburgh to host the championship game.

Rookie

User Info Menu

What would you rather have:

1) Home field advantage and either Roethlisberger or Bell injured?

or

2) Both Roethlisberger and Bell healthy with the #2 seed?

Incidentally, I think the Steelers can beat the Browns at home with Landry at QB...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Booooooo. Guess I‘ll Be drinking during this game to stomach Landry Jones and hope the Pats lay an egg.

Legend

User Info Menu

Let me ask this question... is NE resting Brady and Gronk against NYJ? Seems about as likely that NYJ can beat NE... as CLE beating Pitt...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    I think it is a good decision. Let's make sure Le'Veon and Big Ben are sufficiently rested and won't have any injury issues. Cleveland is the most hapless franchise in the NFL, and haven't gotten a win this season. Their players will not be killing themselves in this one to get the win, plus it will be cold. Pittsburghs backups will be more excited than Clevelands players because they will be getting an opportunity, and are headed to the playoffs. I think there is a good chance the Steelers can win with the backups.

It isn't really likely that the Jets will beat NE in NE. Having the most important players, healthy and ready for the playoffs is more important than playing them against Cleveland. Having them healthy is more important than which stadium the championship game is played, if they do in fact meet.

Anyway, if NE does secure home field advantage, they still have to beat an opponent and the Steelers still have to beat an opponent for both teams to make the championship game. I don't think you can assume either NE or Pittsburgh will win their first game. So there is still an opportunity for Pittsburgh to host the championship game.
    You brought up a good point in the last paragraph. Hopefully a hot wildcard team will roll in to NE and knock them off... making all of this "PIT v NE #2" null and void.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Let me ask this question... is NE resting Brady and Gronk against NYJ? Seems about as likely that NYJ can beat NE... as CLE beating Pitt...
    If they are playing and one of them gets hurt, you know that people will complain...

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    If they are playing and one of them gets hurt, you know that people will complain...

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t...
    I agree. It's a risk/reward type of thing... also, we've gotta look at it from the perspective of having a close to a 3 week layoff (game reps). I remember the year we beat the Colts in the divisional round with Manning... the year they had the #1 Seed and everything locked up going into their final regular season game. They chose to sit a lot of their guys that last game.. and had close to the 3 week lay off.. I know we were the hot team coming in... but can't help but think that they came in flat also because of the layoff.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post

I think there is a difference in that they are in control not us. It is theirs to lose.
    I think if roles were reversed, our guys play.

If they dont start Ben and Bell, I think they are (rightly or wrongly) assuming a Pats victory in which case our result does not matter.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher