Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NFL Contradicts Itself...

Legend

User Info Menu

NFL Contradicts Itself...

...in explaining horrible overturned call:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/12/nfl-steelers-patriots-james-catch-touchdown-review-explanation-video-rule-replay-riveron/amp?__twitter_impression=true
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+# up and wear it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Cant even read any more, just makes me sick.
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

Legend

User Info Menu

"As we can see here, Roethlisberger completes a pass to James.

some of the poorest choice of words ever made by the NFL........

Backup

User Info Menu

Of course, the writer is complaining about the rule, not the ruling itself.

He also says,
    " The ball did indeed hit the ground in the end zone — nobody is disputing that."
    Ahem.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WB Tarleton View Post
    Of course, the writer is complaining about the rule, not the ruling itself.

He also says,

Ahem.
    your leaving out the controversial part...."survive initial contact with the ground". James' knee constitutes initial contact with the ground....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    your leaving out the controversial part...."survive initial contact with the ground". James' knee constitutes initial contact with the ground....
    He also had to make a football move...you know, like lunging across the goal line...

Oh, wait...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+# up and wear it.

Starter

User Info Menu

That entire game looked scripted by the NFL.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I’m getting more angry about this rule by the minute. This is flipping criminal.

Backup

User Info Menu

The rules increasingly make no intuitive sense.

To complete a catch you have to make a "football move", like for example lunging for the endzone with the ball firmly in your grasp to score. To score you need to only break the plane of the goalline. What happens next is not supposed to matter. Someone can literally smack the ball out of your hands at that point and it is still a TD. Yet in this case, because the play was a pass, JJ can't let the ball hit the ground and jiggle a little because that somehow, even though still in his possession, makes it a non-catch. Keep in mind, however, that the ground cannot cause a fumble. It can only cause a non-catch, sort of, sometimes.

This nonsense is one of the reasons why football is declining in popularity. The rules are absurd and the referees are playing way too much of a role in the game. There are constant stoppages in play for replay review "challenges" by coaches that sometimes must be decided by some guy in NYC watching remotely. It is truly absurd that this is what they have done to football. They will make it worse too. How else do you explain the League's re-upping the Roger Goodell?

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    It's the initial contact of the body, not the first body PART to touch.