Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some interesting scenarios for this weekend.....

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Would a bye hurt the Steelers in regards to they seem to always come out slow after the time off

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelwolf View Post
    Would a bye hurt the Steelers in regards to they seem to always come out slow after the time off
    last year we had a bye and absolutely destroyed Miami.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    last year we had a bye and absolutely destroyed Miami.
    We didn't have a bye in last year's playoffs. New England and Kansas City did.

We beat the Dolphins at Heinz during wild card weekend, then beat the Chiefs at Arrowhead, before travelling to Foxboro for the AFC Championship Game.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by winwithd View Post
    I heard last night though that the Rats control their own destiny. If they win out they pass buffalo and get in. They also have one of the easiest remaining schedules, at Cleveland then home for Indy and Cincy. They will probably be in. Imagine if they are #6 and the Cheats are #3. They have gone to Foxboro and won already. We could have a rematch only with a healthy secondary. Then get revenge with the Jags on the way to #7.

Just have to win on Sunday
    I think that this is the best case scenario for us.

We need to beat the Pats and hope that the Jags take care of business.

I'd much prefer that NE has to play an extra game. In the case that the Rats win out, the Pats would have to beat the Ravens, then the Jags, then Us. That's a rough road the the SB.

But, we need to win the weekend. Otherwise, maybe it's us that has to beat Baltimore and Jacksonville before going to NE.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think that this is the best case scenario for us.

We need to beat the Pats and hope that the Jags take care of business.

I'd much prefer that NE has to play an extra game. In the case that the Rats win out, the Pats would have to beat the Ravens, then the Jags, then Us. That's a rough road the the SB.

But, we need to win the weekend. Otherwise, maybe it's us that has to beat Baltimore and Jacksonville before going to NE.
    Even if we lose to the Pats**, we will earn a first round bye by beating the Texans and the Browns...that would give us 13 wins and the Jags max out at 12...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    We didn't have a bye in last year's playoffs. New England and Kansas City did.

We beat the Dolphins at Heinz during wild card weekend, then beat the Chiefs at Arrowhead, before travelling to Foxboro for the AFC Championship Game.
    damn, my mind playing tricks on me.

Thanks
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm trying to sort all the playoff scenarios out and while I will speculate - please don't think for one second I don't want the #1 seed. having every game guaranteed at Heinz is and should be the goal.

Having said that, would the #2 seed possibly be a better path??

Let's set the table of pats #1, steelers #2, jags #3

4,5 and 6 will likely result in some combination of chiefs, chargers, ravens, titans or bills. let's say the chiefs hold it together and win the AFC west and the #4. of #5 and #6 I'd say the likely candidates are the titans and the ravens - with the rats as the probably #6.

so in the wildcard round you'll have

jags vs. rats
    chiefs vs. titans

If the rats win they go to NE. Jags win they come to us. if the rats win, then we care about whatever combination is left of chiefs, chargers or titans. if the bills are in it's because the rats are out.

we often talk about playing and beating a team 3 times in a season. we've done it before with the rats - but it's always a tough game.

but with 3 weeks to go this is too complex to sort it all out.

it's just looking at all those teams and what are the most favorable matchups - i tend to see better matchups for us against the chiefs, charges, titans and even the jags (despite recent history). I think there's something to be said for a scrappy #6 seed going to NE in the divisional round and taking them out. allowing us to face possibly the west champ or the titans first, and THEN having the AFCCG at heinz.

but then it may well be the rats at home for the rights to the superbowl.

and with that i've gone cross-eyed.

so screw it, win out - take the #1 and eventually lombardi #7. then i can say whatever path that was, was the best one......

but as painful as playoff scenario analysis can be - over on the bungles boards they're talking about the draft......
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    With the loss to us this week, Baltimore fell out of the #6 seed and would not make the playoffs if they started today. They are currently tied with the Chiefs, Bills, and Chargers at 7-6, but right now K.C. would be the #4 seed, Buffalo would be the #6 seed, and the Ravens and Chargers would be on the outside looking in. A lot can change over the next 3 weeks, though.
    This is true, but I'm pretty sure I heard that the Rats control their own destiny such that if they win out, they will secure the final playoff spot. Could be wrong though.