Thread: Against the Pats, I feel like possession is way more important than field position

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Against the Pats, I feel like possession is way more important than field position

In other words, I hope we plan to go for it more between the 40s.

Longer version: Having watched Brady dismantle us way too many times over the last decade it seems like on a Patriot drive we either stop them early or they score -- regardless of field position. And when I combine this with our DBs giving up big plays so frequently I think it's better to try to keep him off the field than it is to worry about putting him at his own 15 or 20 to start a drive.
    In response to his pleas, an officer said: "You think we've never arrested somebody that's made national media? ... We deal with the Bengals all the time."

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848"]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

This year, I think the only way to beat the cheaters is to score a ton of points and win a shoot-out. The only way our D is going to limit their O is to put pressure on Brady. He needs to meet the ground multiple times.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by snarky View Post
    In other words, I hope we plan to go for it more between the 40s.

Longer version: Having watched Brady dismantle us way too many times over the last decade it seems like on a Patriot drive we either stop them early or they score -- regardless of field position. And when I combine this with our DBs giving up big plays so frequently I think it's better to try to keep him off the field than it is to worry about putting him at his own 15 or 20 to start a drive.
    I like the thinking here. Whether Brady starts at his 10 or our 40, the odds of the Pats scoring on us are roughly equivalent. That sounds maddening, but probably true. So we should just go for it on 4th downs. Forget field position. Odd are stacked against punting ever anyway, but even more so against Brady and co.

Gotta do something different. Everyone would be mad at Tomlin if this isn't successful, but the math supports it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    This year, I think the only way to beat the cheaters is to score a ton of points and win a shoot-out. The only way our D is going to limit their O is to put pressure on Brady. He needs to meet the ground multiple times.
    I see the Pats trying to do what they've always done... quick timing routes...Brady getting rid of the ball quickly and accurately. I don't see how we are going to be able to get the pressure on him needed for him to fold.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I like the thinking here. Whether Brady starts at his 10 or our 40, the odds of the Pats scoring on us are roughly equivalent. That sounds maddening, but probably true. So we should just go for it on 4th downs. Forget field position. Odd are stacked against punting ever anyway, but even more so against Brady and co.

Gotta do something different. Everyone would be mad at Tomlin if this isn't successful, but the math supports it.
    Yeah I will admit its anecdotal but browsing through the drive data from our last few games versus the Pats it really seems like the likelihood of them scoring goes on a given drive goes up significantly if they have one first down (independent of field position).

As for the second point, I agree Tomlin would have some upset fans if it doesn't work out but as I've said before (not my original quote) "In terms of coaching decisions, there is a difference between giving your team the best chance to win and keeping the game competitive as long as possible.
    In response to his pleas, an officer said: "You think we've never arrested somebody that's made national media? ... We deal with the Bengals all the time."

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848"]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

The problem is Davis. He is getting exposed in coverage. Gronk may have a field day.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Davis had an absolutely horrific game.
    Missed tackles, multiple 15 yarders, lapses in coverage and looked as if he wasn't playing at 100%