Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

OT - Jerry Jones

Threatens to sue NFL if Roger Goddells contract is approved. Per ESPN

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    Threatens to sue NFL if Roger Goddells contract is approved. Per ESPN
    Jerry is going full nuclear. I'm no fan of the cowboys - but his instincts have been right now with flag protests and he's correct that goodell has really mismanaged this (along with several other issues recently). He understands the NFL is a product - and the league has every right and responsibility to present that product in what they think is the best light. that might be kneeling, it might not be - but there needs to be a consistent product from every team and a product that pleases the majority of viewers. Jerry gets that and he's pi$$ed the NFL is alienating sponsors through the handling of issues over the past few years.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    Jerry is going full nuclear. I'm no fan of the cowboys - but his instincts have been right now with flag protests and he's correct that goodell has really mismanaged this (along with several other issues recently). He understands the NFL is a product - and the league has every right and responsibility to present that product in what they think is the best light. that might be kneeling, it might not be - but there needs to be a consistent product from every team and a product that pleases the majority of viewers. Jerry gets that and he's pi$$ed the NFL is alienating sponsors through the handling of issues over the past few years.
    Say what you want but NFL football is entertainment... bottomline. And when talking about entertainment you are talking about enjoyment. Hard to enjoy something when I have to deal with 'statements' and 'agendas'. It's about the game. Players are putting agendas ahead of the game. Goodell is trying to figure out a way to manage this without a mass shutdown, which I would guess would bother Jones as much as anyone.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Say what you want but NFL football is entertainment... bottomline. And when talking about entertainment you are talking about enjoyment. Hard to enjoy something when I have to deal with 'statements' and 'agendas'. It's about the game. Players are putting agendas ahead of the game. Goodell is trying to figure out a way to manage this without a mass shutdown, which I would guess would bother Jones as much as anyone.
    yep. we invite the NFL into our homes for 3 hours of fun. The moment it stops being fun - is the moment the channel changes. Jones is terrified of that - and he should be.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    real simple..............stand for the anthem. there will be no 'protests' of any type on company time. dont like it. quit and fall back on your colege education(lol)

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

on the other hand - maybe i'm giving jerry too much credit. it's possible he's just really pi$$ed about 'zekes suspension........

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    on the other hand - maybe i'm giving jerry too much credit. it's possible he's just really pi$$ed about 'zekes suspension........
    This.

Jerry Jones is a large part of the problem with the NFL.

At any rate, it seems weird to see so many people that are anti first amendment in this case...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+# up and wear it.

Backup

User Info Menu

and yet, everyone but the Steelers voted for the last CBA agreement because we thought it gave Goodell too much power.

Jerry is just mad because Zeke is in limbo every week.

As as far as the protest go. What could Goodell do? Once Kap took a knee it was a wrap.

Not trying to to be rude but football fans are a savage bunch. Instead of understanding the reason Kap was kneeling they used faux outrage to say it was disrespectful to troops even though it was a special forces bet who reached out to Kap and asked him to kneel instead of sitting on the bench.

Sp now you have a bunch of fans screaming about disrespecting the flag and calling players all types of names when the reality is these fans hate these players because they see them as spoiled brats who get paid millions to play a game they wish they could play at the highest level.

They want the players to stay in their place and shut up and play or else... cause god forbid a player use his platform to draw attention to injustices in this country.

So the fans whine and threaten to never return but the reality is the NFL was never going to continue to grow forever. It peaked and while ratings are slipping they are still impressive ratings.

NFL fans have no problem with guys beating their wives and girlfriends... they still turned in. But let a pale lure take a knee for 1 minute or so and all hell breaks loose.

This will pass... and if it doesn’t the fans will be okay because one thing we know about America is folks have short memories. They will be upset until the playoffs and if their team makes it they will come back because NFL fans are fanatics.
    ILB
    DL
    S
    RB
    WR
    LB

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Jerry is a hyprocrite of massive proportions. He voted for the CBA and supported the commissioner when it was Ben who was suspended. Now that it's his guy he's turning full circle. His team should have kneeled in unison while his old ass stood there like a moron.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    This.

Jerry Jones is a large part of the problem with the NFL.

At any rate, it seems weird to see so many people that are anti first amendment in this case...
    not anti-first amendment - just recognizing there are consequences for utilizing it. none of those players protesting will go to jail. but the first amendment doesn't protect their jobs - it only protects them from the feds. I agree there are many who have attributed the wrong message to what the players are trying to do, but the message misses the point in my opinion. They are choosing to protest 'at work and on company time'. there are consequences for that. If I used my 'first amendment rights' to change my welcome aboard announcement - should I have that 'right' to do so without consequence? would all the passengers in the back (whether they agree with my political views or not) all agree that even though they are stuck in the back of that jet - they must endure whatever I want to say? As I said elsewhere - what if the person hired to SING the national anthem decided to change the words and protest it that way? The point is, this is entertainment and the first amendment has no bearing on how your employer will react if you take action that is perceived to hurt the product being sold. That's what Jones is saying - and I have to agree with him on that point.