Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sad Story

Legend

User Info Menu

Sad Story

So I was in the Burgh this weekend for my folks 60th anniversary. My dad has been a diehard Steeler fan ever since I can remember, never missing a game if it was on the tube. Anyway started talking about the Jags in town and if he was ready to watch. My dad proceeded to tell me that he no longer watches Steeler games after the whole flag kneeling/tunnel episode. Said it was tearing his heart out but could not bear to support a team that did not appreciate the flag and country they live in.

That's it. Forty years of being a fan ended then and there. I really felt bad when he told me this as Steeler games were always something we could bond over.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

No offense to your dad, but I really don't understand why people conflate this situation so badly. First of all, why people conflate the military with the flag. The flag is not a symbol of the military and none of the players (who kneel) ever expressed anything but respect for service men.

2) To kneel in silent, peaceful protest (they aren't milling around, kicking stones or munching pistachio nuts while the anthem is being played) is as high an appreciation of the flag as standing with hand over heart.

It is hard, because people who feel that way aren't likely to listen to reason. I just don't understand what makes people mix up the issue to such a degree.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Not to be a jack azz, but maybe your dad should've listened to the interview Tomlin did on why they didn't come out, it had zero, nada, nothing to do with the protest it's a matter of fact it was the opposite. They didn't come out because it was either one or none. AV made the team look like @ss3s
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Starter

User Info Menu

Lecturing people that protesting the national anthem or the flag is not about the country and the military or why the team stayed indoors won't help. This is very much a gut level issue for people. I've met a surprising number of people that have tuned out, if only for a week or so, and have said they will not be purchasing Steeler gear, etc. as presents this year.

For the record, I did not have a problem with the team staying in the tunnel and would prefer they do that than see half the players kneel and half stand. But in my opinion - and in many people's opinion - disrespecting the national anthem and the flag is an unacceptable form of protest regardless of the reason for the protest.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Did you know that the week after the so called protest that ratings were higher. So maybe all don't have a problem with it.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    No offense to your dad, but I really don't understand why people conflate this situation so badly. First of all, why people conflate the military with the flag. The flag is not a symbol of the military and none of the players (who kneel) ever expressed anything but respect for service men.

2) To kneel in silent, peaceful protest (they aren't milling around, kicking stones or munching pistachio nuts while the anthem is being played) is as high an appreciation of the flag as standing with hand over heart.

It is hard, because people who feel that way aren't likely to listen to reason. I just don't understand what makes people mix up the issue to such a degree.
    It's a very polarizing, hot button issue....just like 'God, guns, politics, religion, etc'... people have strong feelings when it comes to these issues, and it doesn't take much to set those folks off (on all sides). It is not hard to see (as polarized as this country is today) why people would quickly shun such acts of protest.
    I know several folks who have been die hard steeler fans for all of their lives. They have turned away from the organization as a result of the actions of the team prior to the Bears game. Even though I am strongly against the timing of the protest, I am not 'turning off the TV set' on Sunday afternoons. I respect the opinions of those who have, just as I respect the opinions of those who think the protests are "Great"... "Not a big deal" etc.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    Did you know that the week after the so called protest that ratings were higher. So maybe all don't have a problem with it.
    All don't have a problem with it. Some do.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCHammer View Post
    All don't have a problem with it. Some do.
    Many do. The longer term trends point to a decline. The protests are a factor in that decline (looking back at Kapernick)

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCHammer View Post
    Lecturing people that protesting the national anthem or the flag is not about the country and the military or why the team stayed indoors won't help. This is very much a gut level issue for people. I've met a surprising number of people that have tuned out, if only for a week or so, and have said they will not be purchasing Steeler gear, etc. as presents this year.

For the record, I did not have a problem with the team staying in the tunnel and would prefer they do that than see half the players kneel and half stand. But in my opinion - and in many people's opinion - disrespecting the national anthem and the flag is an unacceptable form of protest regardless of the reason for the protest.
    Well how are we to change anything then, if we can't "lecture" or try and enlighten. You can call it lecturing, but as human beings--we should let reason and common sense dictate our "gut level" feelings. There just isn't anything disrespectful about a quiet kneel during the Anthem. I would feel differently if say, a player had his back turned to the flag. It is actually respectful to the flag of America, kneeling in quiet, solemn protest.

This is a race issue, by and large. White people are the ones generally seeing it as disrespectful, and I guess because they see the flag as a symbol of themselves. The players protesting, are saying that it does not represent the same for them. People should take that fact (that the majority of folks against the players are white) for what its worth, and recognize that there is another side to this issue.

You're telling me that it is a gut-level issue with people like Northcoast's dad and therefore uncool to lecture, but fail to acknowledge the gut-level feelings of the players making the protests.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It's sad that people are more interested in a piece of cloth than the rights that the flag represents.
    These people who say that it disrespects the military need to understand that the oath you take when entering the service is focused on the RIGHTS of the citizens, not the symbol of the country.