Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 71 to 79 of 79

Thread: Sad Story

  1. #71
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    Yes that is my whole point, the rights are granted and protected through legislation, that's what I said in the first place. The fact that different cultures rights depend on the type of government in power, tells you that inherent human rights do not exist. The military's job is to defend America it is not the job of the military to defend individual freedoms, if the government decided to take rights away from you the military would not fight for your rights, the military would stand by the law of the land.
    perhaps you are confusing enforcement of rights with endowment...

  2. #72
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    perhaps you are confusing enforcement of rights with endowment...
    No, not confusing anything.

  3. #73
    Backup

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Yeah, and the man who is supposed to be the leader of the free world is saying that there should be consequences for those S.O.B.'s who do not stand for the anthem. Granted, the consequence he is calling for is a firing as opposed to a firing squad, but still...
    Hey, I am not defending Trump's comments and am not a fan of what he did here but his comments are out-of-line as a matter of decorum only. He is still simply exercising his own freedom of speech, just like the players and everyone else.

  4. #74
    Backup

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    Yes that is my whole point, the rights are granted and protected through legislation, that's what I said in the first place. The fact that different cultures rights depend on the type of government in power, tells you that inherent human rights do not exist. The military's job is to defend America it is not the job of the military to defend individual freedoms, if the government decided to take rights away from you the military would not fight for your rights, the military would stand by the law of the land.
    Nice try, but the rights are not granted through legislation. The rights are protected from government infringement, in part, through legislation. But the legislation did not create the rights. This may be a meaningless distinction to you, but it is not to me. And I doubt the US military as it is currently constituted could be relied upon to enforce a tyrannical government's efforts to strip us of our basic rights.

  5. #75
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by MCHammer View Post
    Nice try, but the rights are not granted through legislation. The rights are protected from government infringement, in part, through legislation. But the legislation did not create the rights. This may be a meaningless distinction to you, but it is not to me. And I doubt the US military as it is currently constituted could be relied upon to enforce a tyrannical government's efforts to strip us of our basic rights.
    Legislation grants your rights, The legislation outlines what rights you have and how they are protected. We decide what is important to us and we push for legislation that defines those important things as rights so that they are protected by law. The legislation did not create the concept of free speech, but it did define it as a right for US citizens.
    Last edited by Mr.wizard; 10-13-2017 at 05:51 PM.

  6. #76
    Backup

    User Info Menu

    I'm not going to continue to debate semantics about granting vs. creating vs defining. I even agree with you to a large extent when it comes to areas where rights are in conflict. Go Steelers. Hopefully they get back on track with a big win in KC.

  7. #77
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by MCHammer View Post
    I'm not going to continue to debate semantics about granting vs. creating vs defining. I even agree with you to a large extent when it comes to areas where rights are in conflict. Go Steelers. Hopefully they get back on track with a big win in KC.
    Fair enough, go Steelers.

  8. #78
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    perhaps you are confusing enforcement of rights with endowment...
    Yes, a man may have many rights, but still not be well-endowed.

    And our basic rights are ours because of the Constitution - no legislation may infringe on those.
    Last edited by SanAntonioSteelerFan; 10-14-2017 at 11:09 PM.


    We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

    HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

  9. #79
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    Yes, a man may have many rights, but still not be well-endowed.

    And our basic rights are ours because of the Constitution - no legislation may infringe on those.
    Sure legislation can infringe on those rights, we had Jim Crow laws up until 1964, where we needed legislation such as the Civil Rights Act to give the people the rights they were being denied.
    Last edited by Mr.wizard; 10-15-2017 at 12:41 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •