Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sad Story

Legend

User Info Menu

I will only make one further comment; nowhere in the story I just related did I mention disrespect for the military being part of his motivation for turning away from the games. It is interesting how some have inserted their own interpretation into this.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    No offense to your dad, but I really don't understand why people conflate this situation so badly. First of all, why people conflate the military with the flag. The flag is not a symbol of the military and none of the players (who kneel) ever expressed anything but respect for service men.

2) To kneel in silent, peaceful protest (they aren't milling around, kicking stones or munching pistachio nuts while the anthem is being played) is as high an appreciation of the flag as standing with hand over heart.

It is hard, because people who feel that way aren't likely to listen to reason. I just don't understand what makes people mix up the issue to such a degree.
    What makes people mix up the issue? People fail to listen. As a result, they fail to understand the reasons behind such protests. It's almost like people want reasons to be disgruntled or angry.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    What makes people mix up the issue? People fail to listen. As a result, they fail to understand the reasons behind such protests. It's almost like people want reasons to be disgruntled or angry.
    Ah most people listen. I think the focus of most of those folks (including myself) goes back to Kapernick, and the players who were kneeling to support Kap himself. Did you see those cute pig/cop socks he wore during one of his games? If you go back and look at his overall message, I think there are things you could agree with (as to why folks are upset).

A lot of these guys want to paint all law enforcement with a "Broad brush"... when in fact, 95+ percent of them do things by the book.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Ah most people listen. I think the focus of most of those folks (including myself) goes back to Kapernick, and the players who were kneeling to support Kap himself. Did you see those cute pig/cop socks he wore during one of his games? If you go back and look at his overall message, I think there are things you could agree with (as to why folks are upset).

A lot of these guys want to paint all law enforcement with a "Broad brush"... when in fact, 95+ percent of them do things by the book.
    95+% doesn't mean a thing to the family of the 5-%, especially when there is a lot of outrageous-seeming societal condoning of that behavior, including judicially/in the courts.

The outcomes of chance encounters with the law shouldn't depend on race, I think we can all agree. The problem is that a very significant portion of society believes those encounters with cops *do* differ depending on the race of the person stopped. "I'm not an expert" on all that, but as a casual consumer of news from across the political spectrum, I think it's very easy to think the same.

I may be wrong, but I believe that is what is being protested -not flags, not veterans, not "U-S-A".

Personally, I think our veterans have spilt their blood so that K and friends can protest in just about any way they want. Now that doesn't mean their bosses can't fire them for doing so if they protest on private sector "company time" of course. May or may not be good for business to do that, but that's a different story!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

This is sad for obvious reasons.

Maybe you could use this as a teachable moment?

Just seems silly to give up football over a silent protest by a few players but oh well. Maybe he will come back in a few weeks?

No disrespect to your father but I always find it funny when people announce they are no longer watching the NFL due to this issue.

Of all the things THIS is what turns you off? Not the alleged rapes, coaches doing coke before meetings, the CTE scandal, the terrible rule changes, tax funded stadiums or constant commercials?
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post

the 5% is the reason players kneel.

No one is protesting those other cops BUT I will add that cops that are good usually look the other way when they see the 5% breaking the law.

I sure wish more "good" cops would out the bad ones
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post

No one is protesting those other cops BUT I will add that cops that are good usually look the other way when they see the 5% breaking the law.

Do you think the 95% see it that way?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post

Sorry, that is wrong. If a cop looks the other way when his partner is breaking the law he is not a good cop, he is just about as rotten as the one who pulled the trigger.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    95+% doesn't mean a thing to the family of the 5-%, especially when there is a lot of outrageous-seeming societal condoning of that behavior, including judicially/in the courts.

The outcomes of chance encounters with the law shouldn't depend on race, I think we can all agree. The problem is that a very significant portion of society believes those encounters with cops *do* differ depending on the race of the person stopped. "I'm not an expert" on all that, but as a casual consumer of news from across the political spectrum, I think it's very easy to think the same.

I may be wrong, but I believe that is what is being protested -not flags, not veterans, not "U-S-A".

Personally, I think our veterans have spilt their blood so that K and friends can protest in just about any way they want. Now that doesn't mean their bosses can't fire them for doing so if they protest on private sector "company time" of course. May or may not be good for business to do that, but that's a different story!
    I must live in a different world than most... but I do not see society "Condoning police brutality based on race".

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    Sorry, that is wrong. If a cop looks the other way when his partner is breaking the law he is not a good cop, he is just about as rotten as the one who pulled the trigger.
    I would agree with this.