Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Going forward, What is would be our plan to get a new Francise QB?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    i dont think anyone thought bens dramatic decline, if thats what this is would happen so sharply

have they held onto a bum like landry jones too long, certainly. but to get a franchise QB history says you almost have to take one in the 1st and i just dont believe that would have been wise where this team was the last 2-3 years. IMO, last year was the 1st time you could have been proactive and taken a QB in the first. the recipe that has seemed to be the most successful is to hit on that QB and reap the benefits of the cheap rookie contract. drafting someone and letting them sit for 3 years and then paying top $$ if you hit on him just doesnt seem like good strategy, imo

the only person i remember talking about it was shawn who advocated taking mahonnes last year and he was roundly mocked by most here.
    You make some good points, and certainly hitting on a QB and getting 3 or so good years out of him on the cheap is a winning strategy. We've had huge money tied up in Ben so long... paying top money for a QB is just a given (already factored into our equation). I'm sure most on here don't mind the FO shelling out the $$$$. We need the production to match it. I realize Haley factors in to this... him leaving solves part of the problem if they'll pull the trigger.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Ben has also been asking for a 'big' passing target for years. Ever since Plax left. They didn't replace Heath. Got unlucky with Ladarius Green. Vance Mcdonald sucks. Had multiple busts (Wheaton, Coates, etc), and a serial dope fiend at WR.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
    Ben has also been asking for a 'big' passing target for years. Ever since Plax left. They didn't replace Heath. Got unlucky with Ladarius Green. Vance Mcdonald sucks. Had multiple busts (Wheaton, Coates, etc), and a serial dope fiend at WR.
    He's got Bryant, he now has Juju. He also has Antonio freakin Brown, and Le'veon Bell, behind an o-line that has been together and is intact for years. 31 other QBs would trade their rosters for Ben's roster right now. Think about that.

As for drafting, something will come. I will say that I do not like Tomlin's seeming philosophy when it comes to drafting QBs at all. He seems to love mobile athletic guys, but discounts accurate, heady types. He's picked-up at various points in his tenure: Mike Vick, Tajh Boyd, the Ohio State guy who bounced around awhile, this Dobbs kid. What we should be going after, are heady Marc Bulger-like guys. Hoyer is another poorman's example of that. But a guy like Bulger... or Cousins... neither is looked at as franchise-QB material, but they are heady and accurate and can run efficient professional football. This is the type of guy that will be available to us at late-first through 3rd rounds.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    and who has the power to do that?
    Not Tomlin.

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    i dont think anyone thought bens dramatic decline, if thats what this is would happen so sharply

have they held onto a bum like landry jones too long, certainly. but to get a franchise QB history says you almost have to take one in the 1st and i just dont believe that would have been wise where this team was the last 2-3 years. IMO, last year was the 1st time you could have been proactive and taken a QB in the first. the recipe that has seemed to be the most successful is to hit on that QB and reap the benefits of the cheap rookie contract. drafting someone and letting them sit for 3 years and then paying top $$ if you hit on him just doesnt seem like good strategy, imo

the only person i remember talking about it was shawn who advocated taking mahonnes last year and he was roundly mocked by most here.
    I remember that. Now who looks like the smart guy?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I STILL say he misses that TE safety target over the middle in Heath. I said it last fall, and I still say it. James is an ok TE, but he's no Heath. McDonald, I thought was a good move.. we'll see how that works out. I'd rather have a Gronk than a Juju. I'll be the odd one out and say the 2nd half of the year will be huge for #7. McDonald will become a part of the O. Thats my prediction, and I'm sticking to it. lol
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Trade Bell for a draft pick. Package picks to move up for a QB. Get a OC that is good with new young QB's. Keep improving other positions with the rest of the draft picks and FA. Need a ILB and safety to push the other guys. Add a young RB to go along with Conner. Foster will need a replacement sooner then later. TE needs a dynamic guy to go along with James. There 0-2 there in FA it looks like. No idea on the corners as far as playing against a top QB. Keep moving forward. Everyone knew Bens time was quickly coming to a end. So that seems to have tainted the locker room. Along with Bell's massive money dream. AB is a stud and deserves the ball as much as possible. But that causes issues for the offense also. Oh forgot about Bryant. Not sure he will amount to what he looked like he could be? So I think he will walk looking for the most money.
    So need another WR. Not sure JuJu can be that replacement. Looks good so far! Will have to see at the end of the year were he is. Lots of pieces to the puzzle once Ben and Bell move on. Along with other needs.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    He's got Bryant, he now has Juju. He also has Antonio freakin Brown, and Le'veon Bell, behind an o-line that has been together and is intact for years. 31 other QBs would trade their rosters for Ben's roster right now. Think about that.

As for drafting, something will come. I will say that I do not like Tomlin's seeming philosophy when it comes to drafting QBs at all. He seems to love mobile athletic guys, but discounts accurate, heady types. He's picked-up at various points in his tenure: Mike Vick, Tajh Boyd, the Ohio State guy who bounced around awhile, this Dobbs kid. What we should be going after, are heady Marc Bulger-like guys. Hoyer is another poorman's example of that. But a guy like Bulger... or Cousins... neither is looked at as franchise-QB material, but they are heady and accurate and can run efficient professional football. This is the type of guy that will be available to us at late-first through 3rd rounds.
    I made a post complaining about the mobile Black QB's we kept selecting..lol. Thing is, I don't think we draftem them to be anything more than gadget guys who could come in like Kordell for a trick play.

When you have a guy like Ben you don't draft his replacement until THIS offseason. Anything else is a wasted roster spot IMO. I liked the Landry pick and although folks on here hate him I think he is a great back up QB. We damn sure aren't going to draft a Mohommes and let him sit for 2 or 3 years and HOPE he pans out. That's a crazy gamble IMO and one that I wouldn't take given our roster right now.

One thing I will add is NO ONE thought Ben would fall off like this and real talk, if we beat KC and Ben snaps out of his funk then these same folks dumping on Ben (me included) will pivot and find someone else to bash on the team. LOL...

I do think we have something in Dobbs though, I think he is a nice stop gap until we find a franchise QB.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    I STILL say he misses that TE safety target over the middle in Heath. I said it last fall, and I still say it. James is an ok TE, but he's no Heath. McDonald, I thought was a good move.. we'll see how that works out. I'd rather have a Gronk than a Juju. I'll be the odd one out and say the 2nd half of the year will be huge for #7. McDonald will become a part of the O. Thats my prediction, and I'm sticking to it. lol
    McDonald is garbage thus far. A few fans in SF said he had terrible hands and they weren't lying.

IMO Ben just refuses to target James at a rate that would help our O move the chains. I will say a few passes that were tipped/intercepted were to our TE's but IMO, Ben is just too focused on AB or the big play instead of moving the chains.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    I remember that. Now who looks like the smart guy?
    Is Mahomes playing? Do we know if he is legit yet?

I still say there is nothing smart about drafting a replacement and letting him sit for 3 years in todays NFL. That's a wasted roster spot.

Last years draft was terrible for QB's. IMO the way college throws the ball around you can find a "potential" franchise QB in damn near every draft if you want to pick one in the first round.

2018 draft you have Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Rudolph, Luke Faulk, Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen....

so much talent next year vs in 2017.