Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I only see one cure for the disarray:

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I only see one cure for the disarray:

Winning.

Now that the embarrassing press conferences for AV and Ben are behind them, the entire team just needs to shut up, forget about protests, go to work and win. Facebook is littered with pissed off Steeler Nation posts.

They had an opportunity to unite Steeler Nation and the actual Nation but they FUBAR'd it on Sunday. Now Dallas, with the benefit of seeing the outrage over the weekend, is the team that came up with a way to unite their team and fans. The Steelers way out of the mess is to go to work and win.

If we have people on the sidelines kneeling in the next game and the team lays another egg, it's going to get uglier and uglier.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    Winning.

Now that the embarrassing press conferences for AV and Ben are behind them, the entire team just needs to shut up, forget about protests, go to work and win. Facebook is littered with pissed off Steeler Nation posts.

They had an opportunity to unite Steeler Nation and the actual Nation but they FUBAR'd it on Sunday. Now Dallas, with the benefit of seeing the outrage over the weekend, is the team that came up with a way to unite their team and fans. The Steelers way out of the mess is to go to work and win.

If we have people on the sidelines kneeling in the next game and the team lays another egg, it's going to get uglier and uglier.

I agree with your points. Just win and this gets pushed behind us...to a degree.

The players totally miscalculated the response from the fans and that won't completely go away for a long time

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

OK - I'm replying to my own post!

Maybe some good can come out of this past weekend's mess. Maybe the Steelers org and players can realize that there are better ways to support a cause than kneeling at the Anthem. Maybe they can come together and support AV after his heartfelt apology and realize that there is a better way. Leave protesting out of the game. Refocus on the goal this year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Play football and keep the politics out of it. No one cares about a players politics. It is a minefield you don't willingly walk into

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I really felt bad for AV, watching his presser. He's a very honorable man with incredible intentions. This is something the team can really rally around - if they want to.

I was happy to hear from Ben that he felt really bad, to the point that he couldn't sleep Sunday night. I hope the rest of the team feels the same in their own way.

Banned

User Info Menu

Dallas had the luxury of seeing other teams do it this way or that way and they came up with an acceptable solution for their team and the fans.

Personally I think it was ehhh, OK but yeah, just win the damn game.

Thing is.. Steeler fans have always been pissed off with Tomlin and this team. After every win or loss you have people screaming for Tomlin to be fired. It's not shocking if you are from Pittsburgh but it's hard to see if the outrage is legit because I think most of it has been poutrage since Tomlin was hired. Hell, we even had it when Cowher was here for other reasons. Our fans are a spoiled bunch.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I understood their point - but it's clear they failed miserably at communicating that point to the masses. They weren't protesting the anthem - they were boycotting the protest. Pretty much what I believe most want. They just did it in an amateurish way. Same thing for the press conference. I don't know why professional players who wouldn't enter the field completely prepared, would agree to a press conference without preparation and guidance. the answers were rambling. The body language was horrible. Hands in pockets. slumped shoulders. saying 'ummmm' every other word. It was terribly uncomfortable to watch.

So I agree with the points above. Come out this sunday and win. I really want to spend monday talking about a victory.....
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I completely get that the cause for the protests is real. It's not so much political but real emotion. Trump took the opportunity to throw gasoline on the fire. Someone has to find the way to benefit the cause without being a detriment to the game and team. I really hoped that the Steelers would have found a better way. Unfortunately, they ended up adding explosives to the fire.

Until someone figures out a better way to support the cause, the Steelers need a singular cause. And they can rally around AV for the ****ty position they put him in.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    I understood their point - but it's clear they failed miserably at communicating that point to the masses. They weren't protesting the anthem - they were boycotting the protest. Pretty much what I believe most want. They just did it in an amateurish way. .
    Yes, but sadly, their actions were viewed as cowardly. How did no one consider the fact that staying in the tunnel makes it look like they're hiding? How did no one consider that they have a VETERAN on their team that could really use a show of support?

After an entire off-season of outrage against Kaepernick, how did no one realize that there MUST be a better way to support a REAL cause, then kneeling at the Anthem? One that brings everyone together.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Thing is.. Steeler fans have always been pissed off with Tomlin and this team. .
    It's one thing to be pissed off about losses and the way the team plays. It's an ENTIRELY different thing to be embarrassed by the public actions of your team. People are out burning their Steelers gear over this. Canceling their NFL Sunday Ticket. It's an all-new level of pissed off.