Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42

Thread: I only see one cure for the disarray:

  1. #21
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    This is exactly what the Steelers decided to do, and they are being demonized for it. They didn't kneel. They didn't turn their backs. They didn't spit on the flag or burn it. They simply said that we aren't playing this political game. We'll stay inside until kickoff time. I guess trying to make no statement at all was somehow the worst possible statement that they could have made.
    If the league makes a league-wide change and announces it in advance, that is a completely different story.

    What the Steelers did was unannounced and botched, creating the chaos that ensued. It's very easy to see how this came off as hiding, being cowardly and letting AV hang out to dry. It was poorly planned and executed worse. With so little time to react to Trump's comments, the simple thing to do at the time would have been to come out and join hands, showing unity and respect. Zero people get pissed off or offended in that scenario. If their plan was really to make no statement at all, then do what you've always done and come out and stand for the Anthem. But they were too worried about looking like they were allowing Trump to tell them what to do.

  2. #22
    Banned

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    It's one thing to be pissed off about losses and the way the team plays. It's an ENTIRELY different thing to be embarrassed by the public actions of your team. People are out burning their Steelers gear over this. Canceling their NFL Sunday Ticket. It's an all-new level of pissed off.
    yup, i sat down and wrote a letter to the organization yesterday

  3. #23
    Backup

    User Info Menu

    As the old saying goes "when you say nothing, you have said everything". Steelers made a statement of joining the protest by not doing as they always do before game, standing for the flag. In time I will move on but I will not forget.
    54 year diehard fan.
    No NFL garb for family this xmas, not much but all I can do.

  4. #24
    Banned

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by KYPITTFAN View Post
    As the old saying goes "when you say nothing, you have said everything". Steelers made a statement of joining the protest by not doing as they always do before game, standing for the flag. In time I will move on but I will not forget.
    54 year diehard fan.
    No NFL garb for family this xmas, not much but all I can do.
    and what exactly are they protesting? i havent heard them say

  5. #25
    Backup

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    and what exactly are they protesting? i havent heard them say
    That's because most players don't no. They chose to support their team mates instead of the nation.
    God, Family, Flag.

  6. #26
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    In a sea of things that are unclear about this mess, one thing stands out to me as abundantly clear. The fans do not want the Anthem used for any kind of protest before a football game. Period. It gets booed. It sparks outrage on social media. It doesn't matter if the players are doing it peacefully and feel that it's not disrespectful. Most fans do not want it. And it doesn't seem to be doing anything of value to fix any injustices.

    So, is there a compelling reason to continue doing it? I will be disappointed if any Steelers player kneels this weekend, given what's occurred to-date.

    Kneeling at the anthem. Wrong place. Wrong time. Find another means of protesting and supporting your cause.

  7. #27
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    In a sea of things that are unclear about this mess, one thing stands out to me as abundantly clear. The fans do not want the Anthem used for any kind of protest before a football game. Period. It gets booed. It sparks outrage on social media. It doesn't matter if the players are doing it peacefully and feel that it's not disrespectful. Most fans do not want it. And it doesn't seem to be doing anything of value to fix any injustices.

    So, is there a compelling reason to continue doing it? I will be disappointed if any Steelers player kneels this weekend, given what's occurred to-date.

    Kneeling at the anthem. Wrong place. Wrong time. Find another means of protesting and supporting your cause.
    Seems reasonable. But on the same note, very few seemed to care until Trump and the media made them care. So at this point it's hard for anyone to be reasonable because we're sending the message that individual concerns and freedoms doesn't matter.

    Taking that fact to it's logical conclusion, anyone that died for this country should want to kneel alongside any player that feels disenfranchised by the current state of affairs in the US.

    The biggest problem driven by this cultural divide that has been created by our current president and the Russians is everyone wants respect, but no one on either side wants to first give it to earn that respect. The irony is that both sides feel disenfranchised in America. And both sides think the other side is enfranchised by the current landscape.

    The Trump crew are deplorables. The other side including minorities, foreigners, etc. are mistreated. The media has convinced everyone that they are worthless in someone's eyes. Everyone on both sides are sad and angry. Both sides have become liberal beyond all belief. I'd argue Trump fans are the more liberal of the 2 sides despite the fact that FoxNews tells them they're conservative. And the media paints the world that the extremes are the norm which is insane. I don't work or interact on a daily basis with many people that feel they're on the extremes. I have a few friends and family members that intersect with both extremes, but they are few and far between.

    The majority of people I live and work and interact with are nothing like the people the media portrays. They are socially liberal and accepting of a world of varying cultures and ideals. And for the most part they're fiscally conservative and they all have jobs and families and work hard and have hopes and dreams they are pursuing and they're charitable and loving people. At the core, most are thankful. But maybe I live in a bubble. I see the news, but it's not representative of the world I live in any way whatsoever.

  8. #28
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Seems reasonable. But on the same note, very few seemed to care until Trump and the media made them care.
    I think the outrage when Kaepernick first started this doesn't agree with you. It's the reason he still doesn't have a job in the NFL - because of the negative drama he brought to the league.

    And if Trump had said nothing but Steelers players started kneeling, you'd see angry fans.

    What's the point of continuing to anger fans and not help your cause?

  9. #29
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by KYPITTFAN View Post
    That's because most players don't no. They chose to support their team mates instead of the nation.
    God, Family, Flag.
    Sure they know, it's been clarified up, down, backwards, and sideways, the problem is that people who claim to be so outraged don't want to acknowledge the issues that their actually protesting. Everyone talks about these players like they are idiots and that they just want to protest to piss off fans, the fact that you still don't know what the protests are about tells me that you don't care enough to find out. Also this nation for me is about Family, Empathy, Quality of Life.

  10. #30
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    I think the outrage when Kaepernick first started this doesn't agree with you. It's the reason he still doesn't have a job in the NFL - because of the negative drama he brought to the league.

    And if Trump had said nothing but Steelers players started kneeling, you'd see angry fans.

    What's the point of continuing to anger fans and not help your cause?
    I hear you, but people are too far into this on both sides to be reasonable at this point.

    I'm not choosing sides here either. I think both have valid concerns and real pain. The ultimate problem imho is people apply the standards they hold themselves to other people. People need to stop comparing themselves. Just be the best you that you can be and the world becomes better. Personally I have too much stuff to work on myself to have any time to worry about other people's challenges.

    I'm no holy roller by any means, but I think the bible verse about why do you worry about the spec of dust in your brother's eye when you have a plank in your own is very applicable here. Fans that are angry have some of the biggest planks in their own eyes and these kneelers have specs of dust by comparison. It's human nature to avoid looking at ourselves in the mirror.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •