Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Irony?

  1. #11
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I read somewhere the NFL only started having players in the field during the anthem in 2009 after the NFL was paid for the Department of Defense to do so.

    Anyway, I don't mind them staying inside nor do I mind AV standing outside the tunnel. I felt like it was everything the flag "stands" for, especially after Trump ran his mouth about firing players and calling them out of their names.
    not sure if the DOD pays them - but it is true the anthem used to be played first and THEN the teams would come out.

    and if the league is payed by the DOD - that would bother me. I'm a veteran as well, but I don't think displays of patriotism should be paid for, manufactured etc.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

  2. #12
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I read somewhere the NFL only started having players in the field during the anthem in 2009 after the NFL was paid for the Department of Defense to do so.

    Anyway, I don't mind them staying inside nor do I mind AV standing outside the tunnel. I felt like it was everything the flag "stands" for, especially after Trump ran his mouth about firing players and calling them out of their names.


    I believe if AV had said in the team meeting, "I can't stay inside", there would not have been a problem.

    But, if as reported, the players (including AV) agreed as a group to stay inside, then there will be consequences related to trust issues since he then decided to stand outside. It's a simple thing.
    Last edited by SanAntonioSteelerFan; 09-25-2017 at 08:06 AM.


    We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

    HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

  3. #13
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by brothervad View Post
    So Mike Tomlin expected Alejandro Villanueva to stay in the locker room with the entire team and expected 100% participation.

    But isn't that sort of what President Trump expects of the Team as well? If President Trump is wrong about his position on freedom of speech/expression and expecting unanimous compliance in standing for the national anthem...isn't Mike Tomlin wrong to expect the same thing?

    I just note the irony of his response...yes it's a bit less bombastic, but still is expecting 100% compliance.

    Brothervad
    That because the team agreed to it, and then AV did something different. But Tomlin isn't telling AV that he can't stand for the national Anthem or that he shouldn't stand for the National Anthem he is just saying hey we agreed to stay in the tunnel and you not only didn't but you hung the rest of your team out to dry. Why can't Villaneuva stand for the Anthem with his hand on his heart in the tunnel, does it only count if you do it for the cameras?

  4. #14
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    If Tomlin wanted 100% team compliance, he and the coaches should have stayed in the tunnel also.


    We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

    HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

  5. #15
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    If you want 100% participation, then the team owner has to do what Jerry Jones did. I can't stand Jones, but I can't say I have an issue with his mandate.

  6. #16
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    What was his mandate?

    This article says there wasn't one:

    http://www.snopes.com/jerry-jones-speech-911/
    Last edited by SanAntonioSteelerFan; 09-25-2017 at 09:09 AM.


    We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

    HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

  7. #17
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    What was his mandate?

    This article says there wasn't one:

    http://www.snopes.com/jerry-jones-speech-911/
    I guess I got some fake news from Friends on Facebook. Bunch of Cowgirls fans talking about Jones telling players they are required to stand.

  8. #18
    Banned

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    not sure if the DOD pays them - but it is true the anthem used to be played first and THEN the teams would come out.

    and if the league is payed by the DOD - that would bother me. I'm a veteran as well, but I don't think displays of patriotism should be paid for, manufactured etc.
    https://www.sbnation.com/2015/11/4/9...report-million

    http://www.post-gazette.com/news/nat...s/201511060140

    I believe it's over $100 when you include all sports. NBA, NHL, NFL, MLB

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •