Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 215

Thread: exactly what is the protesting actually doing?

  1. #21
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
    The NFL jumped the shark due to putting out a really bad product. The Thursday games are usually always awful. There's way too many injuries. After 100 years, nobody knows for sure what a catch is. There's a flag on every play. A commercial every 2 minutes. Players are way more interested in their stats, their celebrations, and now their political agendas than just winning a game.
    it's not your grandpa's football...that's for sure.

  2. #22
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    they started by supporting kaepernick and thats what he promotes
    This is undisputed truth.

  3. #23
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    People don't understand one major thing. The players don't feel oppressed, but the people in the communities they CAME FROM do. These guys didn't come to the world with a silver spoon in their mouth. Many of them came straight from the hood. Those people will NEVER have a voice. And until there is actual criminal justice reform (life imprisonment for a damn PLANT!) we will continue to have the highest per capita in the world.


  4. #24
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    why anyone would want to be in law enforcement these days is beyond me. If I were a cop in Ferguson (I would never be a cop in Ferguson), but if so - I'd be packing the family up and moving to c'ouer de lane pretty fast. Or Duluth, or spokane etc. There's simply no way to win. You are on your own and if you make a mistake you're going to go to jail. If you don't make a mistake and shoot a heroin dealer, you're still screwed.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

  5. #25
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    i havent heard of any players going into communities telling people how they should act when interacting with police. i dont hear of any donating money to police agencies so they can hire quality individuals or pay for better officer training. if police 'injustice' is the problem, work to address that. calling them pigs and promoting hate and disrespect towards police isnt helping the situation.
    http://www.nfl.com/community here's a whole list of what the NFL does. Each and every player has initiatives they support. Take a minute and read about Pete Carrol and Tony Dungy. They have dozens of active players working in their charities.


  6. #26
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    why anyone would want to be in law enforcement these days is beyond me. If I were a cop in Ferguson (I would never be a cop in Ferguson), but if so - I'd be packing the family up and moving to c'ouer de lane pretty fast. Or Duluth, or spokane etc. There's simply no way to win. You are on your own and if you make a mistake you're going to go to jail. If you don't make a mistake and shoot a heroin dealer, you're still screwed.
    what makes it worse is the fact that cops have to go after guys for victimless crimes and we have a dozen wars on ____ in our country.


  7. #27
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    People don't understand one major thing. The players don't feel oppressed, but the people in the communities they CAME FROM do. These guys didn't come to the world with a silver spoon in their mouth. Many of them came straight from the hood. Those people will NEVER have a voice. And until there is actual criminal justice reform (life imprisonment for a damn PLANT!) we will continue to have the highest per capita in the world.
    that is well said and a big part of the issue. But it's also a chicken or the egg argument. Did the police create the hood? or did the hood create the police response? I think the hood came first, the police responded and the answer isn't to stop the one group of people largely trying to keep the peace - but to effect a fundamental change in these lower economic areas. Success in america isn't guaranteed but it IS available to all. We've had a minority president. The richest woman in america is Oprah. Arguably the smartest guy in america is Neil Degrasse Tyson. In a democracy - the only color that truly matters is green. We all want to make it. I'm a small business owner. I don't have the luxury of discrimination. I need people to show up on time, work hard, don't steal from me and keep drama away from my place of business. Someone who does that? they are priceless to me and I do everything I can to keep them employed and happy.

    If anyone wants to have a reasonable shot in america - follow a few simple steps. finish high school. Don't have kids before you get married. don't get married before you're 21. If you do get married and have kids, stay together. If you go back to the hood - I wonder how many of these basic elements of success are followed? Because those 4 items i mentioned have nothing to do with the police, government, flag or anthem.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

  8. #28
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    What none of these Anthemers will ever admit is that the majority of people standing for the song were secretly crossing their fingers behind their backs anyways. Just watch next time. It's surreptitious.

  9. #29
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    that is well said and a big part of the issue. But it's also a chicken or the egg argument. Did the police create the hood? or did the hood create the police response? I think the hood came first, the police responded and the answer isn't to stop the one group of people largely trying to keep the peace - but to effect a fundamental change in these lower economic areas. Success in america isn't guaranteed but it IS available to all. We've had a minority president. The richest woman in america is Oprah. Arguably the smartest guy in america is Neil Degrasse Tyson. In a democracy - the only color that truly matters is green. We all want to make it. I'm a small business owner. I don't have the luxury of discrimination. I need people to show up on time, work hard, don't steal from me and keep drama away from my place of business. Someone who does that? they are priceless to me and I do everything I can to keep them employed and happy.

    If anyone wants to have a reasonable shot in america - follow a few simple steps. finish high school. Don't have kids before you get married. don't get married before you're 21. If you do get married and have kids, stay together. If you go back to the hood - I wonder how many of these basic elements of success are followed? Because those 4 items i mentioned have nothing to do with the police, government, flag or anthem.
    exactly. the police arent telling these 'less fortunate' to reproduce numerous illegitimate children and raise them into a situation where they cant support them financially or emotionally. they complain about the environment they were brought up in but turn around and brings numerous other lives into the same situation. then when they turn to crime, the police try to protect the ones that arent breaking the law, they get chastised for it. when you raise your children to 'blame the man' and hate the police, there is no hope. all the kneeling wont change that mindset

  10. #30
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Change can happen. A few weeks ago I had the chance to visit a wonderful Belle Isle state park on the river in Detroit. My friends told me 3 or 4 years ago you couldn't go near the place without risking assault, drug trafficking, or worse. The state took over the park, cleaned it up, and have regular police patrols. Day I was there families were picnicking, riding bikes and walking the banks on a beautiful afternoon.
    Change can happen but it takes more than kneeling or flag-waving. It takes someone with vision making actionable efforts to bring about that change.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •