Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers will remain in locker room during National Anthem

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers will remain in locker room during National Anthem

https://nflspinzone.com/2017/09/24/p...tional-anthem/

The Pittsburgh Steelers have a big game in Week 3. After two victories to open the 2017 NFL season, the Steelers head to Soldier Field on Sunday to try and stay perfect. Against a sneaky good defense on the road, that could be a tough test. However, the team has other things on their mind — as does much of the league — coming into the game.

Sunday was expected to be a historical day for NFL players in the wake of the weekend’s events. With Donald Trump’s controversial comments regarding players and protests, athletes from all sports and from every team spoke out. However, the expectation was that it wouldn’t stop there, with numerous players and coaches kneeling and showing unity in protesting during the national anthem.

However, the Steelers decided as a team to make a bolder decision than just that.

Roughly two hours before kickoff, Pittsburgh head coach Mike Tomlin told Jamie Erdahl on NFL on CBS that the Steelers would not leave the locker room for the national anthem:

Mike Tomlin just told me @NFLonCBS #Steelers will NOT be participating in the #NationalAnthem today in CHI. Staying in the locker room.

— Jamie Erdahl (@JamieErdahl) September 24, 2017
    Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin reveals to @JamieErdahl that the team will not be participating in today's national anthem. pic.twitter.com/5zihPWQsMv

— NFLonCBS (@NFLonCBS) September 24, 2017
    In case you didn’t realize how historic and surreal Week 3 was going to get, this should clue you in. The day started in London with both the Jacksonville Jaguars and Baltimore Ravens having players and coaches kneeling and locking arms. However, not taking the field and “participating” in the anthem is a new level and wrinkle.

There have been plenty of powerful messages in response to Trump’s comments on Friday at a rally in Alabama. With that said, the players’ actions were always going to speak louder. And while seeing dozens (maybe hundreds) of players kneeling and showing unity accomplishes that, what the Steelers are doing is a scream into the divide between sports and politics that currently exists.
    Last edited by SteelCrazy; 09-24-2017 at 11:33 AM.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Starter

User Info Menu

This stuff is getting crazy. I just want to watch some football.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    This stuff is getting crazy. I just want to watch some football.
    Exactly. So I guess that means I will continue to just not give a crap what these guys do and just try and enjoy this game I love.

Legend

User Info Menu

Our brothers, sisters, mothers, and fathers died in battle for the players' right to do things like this. Though I believe I would probably choose a different way to make my point, I support those guys' constitutional right to peacefully protest.

In somewhat surprised that management (i.e., coaches, etc.) are staying inside also.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Awesome. Sorry to offend anyone on the board, especially with some of the emphatic aversions to the political statements being made by the players... but with so many organisations and owners supporting their players' right as Americans to partake in peaceful protests that promote awareness of things affecting our society, I think it speaks volumes about the Rooneys. You may not agree with the platform of this exercise that a lot of the NFL players are taking but you have to applaud the ability to freely protest... it's such an American thing to do... a freedom lots of us take for granted.

Truly awesome that our Organization is once again at the vanguard of anything important going on in the NFL.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    Our brothers, sisters, mothers, and fathers died in battle for the players' right to do things like this. Though I believe I would probably choose a different way to make my point, I support those guys' constitutional right to peacefully protest.
    Well said brother.

Starter

User Info Menu

Take a hike troll.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TomlinsATurd View Post
    ... I hope they get pounded into submission today ...
    You need to be posting somewhere else, brother.

... Go plead your case to the families of the men that died on the battlefied for ... our freedom.
    Yes, our freedom ... to protest peacefully without fear of being "disappeared", thrown in jail, or of our families being tortured and punished or worse for it. That's what the Nazis did to people, and the North Koreans, and the Vietnamese, and that's what ISIS does to people - they shut down all dissent, violently. Our constitution gives us the right to "peaceably assemble" (PhillyEsq can correct me as needed there!), and our heroes who fell on the battlefield died protecting that right.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I wish the WH would keep its nose out of sports. While I fully understand what Kap did, it wouldn't have blown up if the media hadn't made a big todo about it. Until then it was just one man exercising his constitutionally protected right to express his unhappiness.
    Now the WH has to butt in, basically forcing people who were otherwise happy on the sidelines to take a stance, thereby upping the ante.

We just want to watch football.

And, for the record, I fully support the league's response over the weekend, and appreciate the stand the Steelers are taking. But I wish it hadn't come to that.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

This never would never happen under Cowher and certainly not Noll. Way to go Tomlin you brought the franchise to a new all time low. Phuck him and the Steelers at this point. I hope they get pounded into submission today. All you politically correct fools can STFU now. Go plead your case to the families of the men that died on the battlefied for our freedom.
    Practicing your trolling skills eh? Ironically, your right to do this is exactly the right that permits our players to protest as they do. Both are equally protected. Go away.