Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers will remain in locker room during National Anthem

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    "Divide the people and we will remain rich..."

We need to unite but we wont because history has proven that time and time again.

I wish you all well. Most importantly, GO STEELERS!
    Amen to that, brother!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

*click* guess Iíll spend the afternoon cutting my grass now.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bostonsteeler View Post
    I wish the WH would keep its nose out of sports. While I fully understand what Kap did, it wouldn't have blown up if the media hadn't made a big todo about it. Until then it was just one man exercising his constitutionally protected right to express his unhappiness.
    Now the WH has to butt in, basically forcing people who were otherwise happy on the sidelines to take a stance, thereby upping the ante.

We just want to watch football.

And, for the record, I fully support the league's response over the weekend, and appreciate the stand the Steelers are taking. But I wish it hadn't come to that.
    You gotta understand that black peoples don't have as many platforms as we do to protest. Traditionally, black people have only had sports and entertainment platforms to say something to a mass audience. I too wish that we could just watch the game but I understand why they are choosing the NFL to do this.

And they owners have to side with the players ( even thou most of the owners voted for Trump) because if they don't, there is a strong chance that the black players boycott and shut the league down. Owners are trying to stay ahead of a black players revolt. Just trying to bring some understanding.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brothervad View Post
    Ok,

I am going to call hypocrisy out.

Let me preface this by saying...I do not think that President Trump is the most graceful orator but like every other American, he has the same freedom to express his opinion.

Just like the last President

"I don't have all the facts, but the Boston police acted stupidly."
    "Trayvon Martin could've been my son."
    I do not remember his comments on Ferguson but they were just as divisive.

Where was all the up in arms when people's free speech was being crowded out by the IRS? Where was the support when people were blanketly labeling the Tea Party as racist because they didn't agree?

Finally, I wonder how Czar Goodell would respond to freedom of expression if 50 million viewers decided to stop watching/supporting NFL football.

Might sing a different tune about us deplorables not understanding the freedoms that the players are expressing. But he would be the disingenuous one there.

brothervad
    Trump called for people to lose their jobs simply for not standing for the National Anthem. If you want hypocrisy Trump is a shining example , he wants free speech and free protest to be punished because he says it disrespectful to America when those to things are pillars of America. If anyone is spitting in the face of America it's trump and people are just sick of it, the guy is a cancer and if you voted for him you should be embarrassed .

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    I see what you're saying, and maybe that is a little backwards! ... but they still do have that right to protest, thank goodness, and thanks to all the American heroes who spilt blood on foreign soil to help preserve their right to do so, IMO.
    They are not protesting free speech they are protesting to protect free speech, trump is the one who has it backwards.

Rookie

User Info Menu

BTW. If Tomlin's comments, which I hadn't seen before I posted, are true then maybe the Steelers are trying to defuse the situation. That would be a good thing.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    You gotta understand that black peoples don't have as many platforms as we do to protest. Traditionally, black people have only had sports and entertainment platforms to say something to a mass audience. I too wish that we could just watch the game but I understand why they are choosing the NFL to do this.

And they owners have to side with the players ( even thou most of the owners voted for Trump) because if they don't, there is a strong chance that the black players boycott and shut the league down. Owners are trying to stay ahead of a black players revolt. Just trying to bring some understanding.
    I fully get that. I'm saying we'd have been better off if the WH didn't butt in.

These player protests, like it or not, *have* made a difference. Notice what happened in Cleveland two weeks ago. We had players and law enforcement folks standing arm-in-arm on the field. You think that won't make a difference on the street? That it doesn't change perception or opinion?

Our players are largely amazing folks. We get to see and hear about the bad eggs, but only because they stand out. For every bad egg, there are a dozen wonderful ones quietly going about their lives, while doing a -lot- more than any of the rest of us could afford to do to better their communities and cities. We won't hear much about them, though.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think they are trying to defuse it. And stay focused on there job at hand.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post

NFL owners don't have to side with the players, they are siding with the rest of league because its not only the right thing to do it's smart for the business. Trump literally told fans not to go to the games and that employees of the NFL should be fired, Im pretty sure that even if an owner voted for him thats not what they had in mind.

Also this is not about Black constitutional rights anymore, Trump just turned it into a free speech and freedom of protest issue, which effects everyone and thats why you see entire teams now participating in the protests.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Good move by the Steelers. I'm happy about simply staying in the locker room instead of joining the media circus.
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+Ä# up and wear it.