Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers will remain in locker room during National Anthem

Starter

User Info Menu

Ok,

I am going to call hypocrisy out.

Let me preface this by saying...I do not think that President Trump is the most graceful orator but like every other American, he has the same freedom to express his opinion.

Just like the last President

"I don't have all the facts, but the Boston police acted stupidly."
    "Trayvon Martin could've been my son."
    I do not remember his comments on Ferguson but they were just as divisive.

Where was all the up in arms when people's free speech was being crowded out by the IRS? Where was the support when people were blanketly labeling the Tea Party as racist because they didn't agree?

Finally, I wonder how Czar Goodell would respond to freedom of expression if 50 million viewers decided to stop watching/supporting NFL football.

Might sing a different tune about us deplorables not understanding the freedoms that the players are expressing. But he would be the disingenuous one there.

brothervad

Starter

User Info Menu

To me, a decision was made by the owners to take the element completely out of the picture. I don't think this is the Steelers holding a team protest in support of whatever Kapernick was protesting. They are simply removing themselves from the issue and not participating at all. No distractions. Business. Just business.

It's such a great call by the Rooney family. Well done.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Oh look the Trump trolls are out, what time is it in Russia by the way?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brothervad View Post
    Ok,

I am going to call hypocrisy out.

Let me preface this by saying...I do not think that President Trump is the most graceful orator but like every other American, he has the same freedom to express his opinion.

Just like the last President

"I don't have all the facts, but the Boston police acted stupidly."
    "Trayvon Martin could've been my son."
    I do not remember his comments on Ferguson but they were just as divisive.

Where was all the up in arms when people's free speech was being crowded out by the IRS? Where was the support when people were blanketly labeling the Tea Party as racist because they didn't agree?

Finally, I wonder how Czar Goodell would respond to freedom of expression if 50 million viewers decided to stop watching/supporting NFL football.

Might sing a different tune about us deplorables not understanding the freedoms that the players are expressing. But he would be the disingenuous one there.

brothervad
    I agree with all you write, brothervad. All the public figures (President Obama, President Trump, and others) say most things only for the benefit of their power base, it's the nature of the game. Once in office they all act as if they signed up to keep their job, not do their job.

That includes Goodell - no matter how he personally may feel I'm sure he weighed a possible player insurrection vs the fallout he's receiving for the statement he put out, and figured he likes the former a lot less.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8467thekraken View Post
    To me, a decision was made by the owners to take the element completely out of the picture. I don't think this is the Steelers holding a team protest in support of whatever Kapernick was protesting. They are simply removing themselves from the issue and not participating at all. No distractions. Business. Just business.

Wow, that's a really interesting thought ... could easily be correct ... brilliant!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Makes sense. Possibly the least controversial option either way.

Rookie

User Info Menu

I've been a lurker here (and on a previous board) for years. Steelers fan since the NFL/AFL merger. Think I've had enough with the NFL and probably with this team over this decision. There are adult ways to handle things - this isn't it. I'm retired military from a family of military and this shows disrespect to me and all who have served. I don't pay attention to sports to get politics thrown in my face. There's enough multi-millionaires on this and every NFL team to start programs to make their voices heard and try to make things better. All this is going to do is anger too many people - won't change anyone's minds.

Backup

User Info Menu

Agreed. I haven't heard anything from the team or Tomlin to indicate this was a decision to do anything other than to remove the team from the situation so the team can stay unified. There is little doubt that some Steelers would kneel, particularly this week, and some wouldn't. Meanwhile, there is an actual Afghanistan vet on the team who has seen who knows how many comrades return home in flag covered coffins.

From what I can tell, this was not a decision made to signal the team's support for any particular view. It was about letting this stuff be handled in-house, rather than through on-field decisions that could only serve to show division and distract from what the Steelers really want to do - win football games.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

"Divide the people and we will remain rich..."

We need to unite but we wont because history has proven that time and time again.

I wish you all well. Most importantly, GO STEELERS!
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TomlinsATurd;702864[COLOR=#00ff00
    ]So your protesting the thing that gave you the right to protest? Sounds a little backwards to me.[/COLOR]
    I see what you're saying, and maybe that is a little backwards! ... but they still do have that right to protest, thank goodness, and thanks to all the American heroes who spilt blood on foreign soil to help preserve their right to do so, IMO.