Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Antonio Brown the Greatest Steelers WR?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Is Antonio Brown the Greatest Steelers WR?

I'm old enough to have seen the greats....(well I never saw Elbie Nickel) -- but I'm asking this seriously -- or has Steeler Nation known this for some time and I just hadn't heard it?

Is Antonio Brown the Greatest Steelers WR of All-Time?

Hines Ward - unfortunately played a great deal of his career when we didn't have very good Quarterbacks. Granted Hines always gets extra points in my book because he played like an extra Off. Lineman when we needed him to block.

Lynn Swann -- was a human highlight reel -- and always came up big during the Super Bowls

John Stallworth -- longevity -- Mr. Clutch game in and game out.

Louis Lipps - never played for a very good team, but he had a lot of talent.

**I think I've taken Antonio Brown for granted -- it's not a great comparison, but back in the day when I'd watch Michael Jordan play....I would think he wasn't having "that" great of a game....and then you look at the stats sheet at the end of the game and he had 42 points.....Brown feels very similar.

L.B.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think we have 3 players on this team who are the most talented players to ever play their position in Steeler history.

Brown is better than Ward/Swann/Stallworth/Lipps.

Bell is better than Harris/Bettis.

Ben is better than Bradshaw.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Bell is better than Harris/Bettis.
    This is the PERFECT point because it leads me to another. How do you determine the best... is it talent? Performance? Duration? Is Bell's 30-some games enough to make that determination yet?

For example, I put Barry Foster ahead of Harris and Bettis, talent wise. Talent-wise, Barry was Ladanian Tomlinson before LT2 (in an uncommitted person).
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

Brown is hands down the best receiver to ever play for the Steelers and I don't even think it's close.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    This is the PERFECT point because it leads me to another. How do you determine the best... is it talent? Performance? Duration? Is Bell's 30-some games enough to make that determination yet?

For example, I put Barry Foster ahead of Harris and Bettis, talent wise. Talent-wise, Barry was Ladanian Tomlinson before LT2 (in an uncommitted person).
    Always felt for a very brief period, Foster at his peak was Steeler GOAT among running backs.
    Never was overly impressed by Franco period.....he was very good for a long time on a great team.

Bell has been the best of all of them

I

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

I think Bell is the best too because he can hurt you in so many ways on any down and distance.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    Brown is hands down the best receiver to ever play for the Steelers and I don't even think it's close.
    Gotta agree......but in my heart.....Swann and Stallworth "feel" like they were better, as they have that "childhood hero" status for me

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    I think Bell is the best too because he can hurt you in so many ways on any down and distance.
    But Conner can fill his greedy shoes easily.....

TCFCLTC-

Backup

User Info Menu

I kinda settled into the idea that Brown is the greatest this team has ever seen after the 2015 season. It's crazy thinking he was less than 200 yards shy of breaking 2000 yards (a mark no receiver has ever achieved) and didn't even have Ben for over a quarter of the season. He's on pace to accumulate more receptions and yards in a five year period than any receiver in NFL history. Yeah, it's pretty safe to say he's the greatest...by kind of a lot.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Gotta agree......but in my heart.....Swann and Stallworth "feel" like they were better, as they have that "childhood hero" status for me

Couldn't agree more. As a kid these guys were TITANS!... (that's why Lambert is still in my top two of all time Steeler greats). But statistically Swann and Stallworth can't touch AB. He's a rare talent and appears he's going to continue slamming the numbers both Steeler and NFL. With his preparation and regard to his craft, his legacy might be GOAT level when it's all said and done.

With that said, no one has ever or will ever play the wideout position like Hines. He played WR like Lambert, Butkus, Singletary, Harrison and Lott. Miss seeing him lay the wood on the field.