Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers trade 6th round pickin 2018 for JJ Wilcox and 2019 7th round pick

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Steelers trade 6th round pickin 2018 for JJ Wilcox and 2019 7th round pick

Trader Kevin

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

https://www.bucsnation.com/2017/7/25/16015364/the-buccaneers-are-gambling-on-j-j-wilcox

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

1. J.J. Wilcox has been a reliable backup for the Dallas Cowboys over the past few seasons, but that backup status doesn't mean he hasn't seen plenty of snaps (https://www.profootballfocus.com/data/by_player.php?tab=by_player&season=2016&pre=REG&pa ge=0&surn=wilcox&playerid=7861). He was used as the third safety in nickel and dime sub-packages and filled in for starters Barry Church and Byron Jones whenever needed. He's a nice, versatile piece in the secondary, as he's able to switch between free and strong safety easily.
      Wilcox plays with the aggressive attitude that a lot of modern safeties now employ. That can lead to big, tone-setting, highlight-reel hits, but it can also lead to missed tackles. Those missed tackles sometimes only cost and extra yard or two, but as the last line of defense as the free safety, it could cost a touchdown. For the most part, though, Wilcox times his aggressive hits well and makes the tackle.
      He's more suited to a Tampa 2 team than a Cover 1 or Cover 3 squad. Most of his time playing deep was as part of a two-deep coverage scheme. He did play single-high safety on occasion, but he doesn't have the range to stay on top of everything from that spot.
      He rarely spent much time covering the slot or tight ends, but the Cowboys have Jones for that role. Wilcox is more of a zone defender, be it the deep half of Tampa 2 or underneath in curl-flat zones in Cover 3. At 26, Wilcox still has time on his side and room to grow. Being caught behind two very good safeties in Church and Jones has restricted his development somewhat, but he offers enough potential in free agency that could allow him to flourish in a starting role elsewhere.

Doug's Quick Take: Dallas' safety trio was one of the underreported stories of the team's recent resurgence, and Wilcox is a big part of that. He can track receivers everywhere from linebacker depth to the deep third, and he can slip inside to the slot in a pinch. Any team with heavy dime coverage, or three-safety packages, will find him to be an appealing option.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Is this a good trade? I know the Steelers needed safety depth, which they accomplished..but is Wilcox good?
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

so that gives us 55 of 53 (bell tech hasn't signed yet, and Sutton hasn't made it to IR - I think), so who do we jettison?

Legend

User Info Menu

Don't know to much about him.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

looks like another solid move

instantly becomes the 3rd safety over golden

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    so that gives us 55 of 53 (bell tech hasn't signed yet, and Sutton hasn't made it to IR - I think), so who do we jettison?
    My guess? Either someone goes on IR or is waived/injured or Big Dan goes bye-bye...then, perhaps the Steelers drop a DB from the practice squad and add Maxey for DL depth...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    My guess? Either someone goes on IR or is waived/injured or Big Dan goes bye-bye...then, perhaps the Steelers drop a DB from the practice squad and add Maxey for DL depth...
    My guess is that Sutton goes to IR and Dan gets cut. Still need one more player to be released. Maybe Allen..