Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do ya think that maybe...

Legend

User Info Menu

Do ya think that maybe...

...there have been some private meetings between the team management and Ben where he has privately told them this is his last year? Could that explain some of the recent "all in" moves?

I'm not sure that Ben could be that private and based on his past he would seem to want a "farewell tour" season but just maybe...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think Ben's sentiments have been anything other than "private." To me, he has made it quite clear that he is ready to "hang-em up!" I feel that the brass should understand the writing on the wall, in that, if you have a team that is ready and capable of winning it all (sands) maybe just a couple pieces away, you better strike while the iron is hot! There are just too many moving parts in the NFL to "stand pat" and wait til next year.

Also, I believe there is just as much sentiment surrounding James Harrison. This guy is giving everything he has to get another ring. I don't believe he would have come back if he didn't think that the FO would do everything they can to "help him out."

Rookie

User Info Menu

I don't think the moves have been unusual...they've traded for players in the past (Boykin) and spent money on reasonable free agent contracts (Mitchell, Green)...the timing is the only thing that is unusual for the Haden signing...but that was a function of the calendar and our available cap...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+Ä# up and wear it.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I don't think so.

Pretty sure this is Tomlin's first time losing a conference championship game as a coach. Also think the FO believes Bell may not be around next year so they are all in.

Maybe it's Ben as well but I think he plays out his contract
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I don't think the moves have been unusual...they've traded for players in the past (Boykin) and spent money on reasonable free agent contracts (Mitchell, Green)...the timing is the only thing that is unusual for the Haden signing...but that was a function of the calendar and our available cap...
    Also, it sounds like Haden left money on the table because he really wanted to be a Steeler.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Also, it sounds like Haden left money on the table because he really wanted to be a Steeler.
    Well - we really wanted him to be a Steeler

Look, I am not going to expect miracles but if he can just be solid, as in above average, I think we might be on to something....

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by williar View Post
    Well - we really wanted him to be a Steeler

Look, I am not going to expect miracles but if he can just be solid, as in above average, I think we might be on to something....
    I think he will be great for us. However, I think some folk look at this signing like we moved mountains to make it happen.

From what I read it sounded like Haden has wanted to be a Steeler since Florida's pro day when he met Tomlin.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think Ben's sentiments have been anything other than "private." To me, he has made it quite clear that he is ready to "hang-em up!" I feel that the brass should understand the writing on the wall, in that, if you have a team that is ready and capable of winning it all (sands) maybe just a couple pieces away, you better strike while the iron is hot! There are just too many moving parts in the NFL to "stand pat" and wait til next year.

Also, I believe there is just as much sentiment surrounding James Harrison. This guy is giving everything he has to get another ring. I don't believe he would have come back if he didn't think that the FO would do everything they can to "help him out."
    I fully agree. I don't believe Ben told the FO he will hang it up after this year because typically those talks are after an exhausting season not before a new season. If he is having that talk now...we could be in trouble. Second, I do think it's possible Ben talked with the FO and said we need to make moves to win now. That is a real possibility.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I think he will be great for us. However, I think some folk look at this signing like we moved mountains to make it happen. From what I read it sounded like Haden has wanted to be a Steeler since Florida's pro day when he met Tomlin.
    That's all well and good, but I am not going to act like I expected us to get Haden just because we needed him. When I heard he was coming available my thought was "wouldn't it be nice" however we usually get one upped on these business deals.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

That's all well and good, but I am not going to act like I expected us to get Haden just because we needed him. When I heard he was coming available my thought was "wouldn't it be nice" however we usually get one upped on these business deals.
    It happened so fast we barely had time to set expectations.

I joked on another site about Haden getting a call from a 412 number, he probably got that call a day earlier from Pouncey and AB.