Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Trumaine Johnson were kicking the tires on a trade?

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm glad we didn't trade up.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    None. When we selected, there wasn't a cornerback worthy; I admit that. But because of they way we strike out in the later rounds as far as cornerback is concerned, Colbert needs to consider trading up in the first round to get another legit talent at cornerback. If shore up that secondary is the goal, then I'm not mad at them if there is a premium talent above us in the draft and we go up and get him.
    Alrighty then...

Tre'Davious White was taken at 27th overall. Probably need to give up our 1 & 3b picks to get above that.

Is Tre'Davious White worth both T.J. Watt and James Conner?

Gareon Conley was taken at 24th overall. Probably need to give up our 1 & 3a picks to get above that.

Is Gareon Conley worth both T.J. Watt and Cam Sutton?

Adoree Jackson was taken at 18th overall. Probably need to give up our 1 & 2 picks to get above that.

Is Adoree Jackson worth both T.J. Watt and Juju Smith-Schuster?

Marlon Humphrey was taken at 16th overall. Probably need to give up our 1, 2, & 3a picks to get above that.

Is Marlon Humphrey worth both T.J. Watt, Juju Smith-Schuster, and Cam Sutton?

Marshon Lattimore was taken at 11th overall. Probably need to give up at least our 1st round picks this year and next to get into the top 10 (actually, a similar trade actually happened in this draft...to move up to #10, K.C. gave up 1.27, 3.91, and a 1st round pick in 2018, so Buffalo would have needed us to beat that deal...probably something like our 1, 3a, and 4 in 2017 in 2017 and our 1 in 2018.)

Is Marshon Lattimore worth T.J. Watt, Cam Sutton, Josh Dobbs, and a future 1st round draft pick?

Where was "going up and getting him" a prudent strategy in this draft?
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Alrighty then...

Tre'Davious White was taken at 27th overall. Probably need to give up our 1 & 3b picks to get above that.

Gareon Conley was taken at 24th overall. Probably need to give up our 1 & 3a picks to get above that.

Adoree Jackson was taken at 18th overall. Probably need to give up our 1 & 2 picks to get above that.

Marlon Humphrey was taken at 16th overall. Probably need to give up our 1, 2, & 3a picks to get above that.

Marshon Lattimore was taken at 11th overall. Probably need to give up at least our 1st round picks this year and next to get into the top 10 (actually, a similar trade actually happened in this draft...to move up to #10, K.C. gave up 1.27, 3.91, and a 1st round pick in 2018, so Buffalo would have needed us to beat that deal...probably something like our 1, 3a, and 4 in 2017 in 2017 and our 1 in 2018.)

Is Marshon Lattimore worth T.J. Watt, Cam Sutton, Josh Dobbs, and a future 1st round draft pick?

I think going up and getting a guy was more prudent in the second than in the first. We missed Chidobe Awuzi by 2 picks and Obi Melafonwu and Josh Jones weren't far off.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I'm glad we didn't trade up.
    And you would be ECSTATIC if we DID knowing how high you were on Awuzie.
    To get the guy you wanted in round 1 late in round TWO would have made you jump for joy and you know it.

Bottom line is your current feelings exist ONLY BECAUSE we did indeed draft Juju.

Had we traded up and gotten Awuzie....honestly......tell me if someone called it STUPID because we could have stayed put taken Juju, would you agree with that criticism of getting Awuzie?
    You KNOW you would be the first to call that criticism ridiculous and DELIGHT in the fact that we got your guy for a steal.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I think going up and getting a guy was more prudent in the second than in the first. We missed Chidobe Awuzi by 2 picks and Obi Melafonwu and Josh Jones weren't far off.
    This is what I have suggested all along.
    Corner was the deepest position in the draft as far as 1st round type talent in a typical draft.
    Awuzie was the last of that group and he got snagged just before us. EASY to move that far....

I personally was even higher on the safety Obi myself, but that might be a little more challenging trade.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Alrighty then...

As good as Conley is? I'd say yes he was worth the trade up. But..because of those charges he had hanging over his head, that was not going to happen. If he was squeaky clean, yes he was worth the trade up. We could have then gone linebacker in the second round.

Banned

User Info Menu

You can barely put a price on an upper tier talented cornerback in this league.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    You can barely put a price on an upper tier talented cornerback in this league.
    That is on the money Maniac!

Save for QB there is not a single position that has more elite talent contributing to championships than cornerback. If you consider the entire secondary......it is not close.

Look at this list and think of the players since 2000. How many rings?

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000815951

Do the same for running backs and receivers COMBINED and you will not get as many recent players with rings.
    DE? Guard? Tackle? DT?

Reason? During earlier eras other positions were more essential to championships.

People say "its a passing league so pay receivers". Really?
    Yes, its a passing league, teams win that can COVER receivers, make them average.

We saw that firsthand against the Pats.

And the Pats KNOW THIS.

That is why they cant get enough secondary talent AT THE EXPENSE of money for other less important positions.

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    And you would be ECSTATIC if we DID knowing how high you were on Awuzie.
    To get the guy you wanted in round 1 late in round TWO would have made you jump for joy and you know it.

Bottom line is your current feelings exist ONLY BECAUSE we did indeed draft Juju.

Had we traded up and gotten Awuzie....honestly......tell me if someone called it STUPID because we could have stayed put taken Juju, would you agree with that criticism of getting Awuzie?
    You KNOW you would be the first to call that criticism ridiculous and DELIGHT in the fact that we got your guy for a steal.
    dude, this is the first year I did a mock.

I didn't do any cheerleading for Awuzie.

I just glanced at a few sights and thought he would be our pick.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Seriously, I cannot for the life of me see how this will happen since he already signed a 17 million dollar franchise offer.
    How can we negotiate a reasonable contract when he has that as leverage. Its worse than Bell.

Only chance is if he wants a SB badly, sees himself as the missing piece with a team like ours, and will take huge financial hit to get a ring
    This $17m price tag really gives pause. That is an enormous price tag for an albeit top caliber Corner. Someone in the thread also mentioned a tantalizing Johnson + Gurley vs. Bell + WR (e.g. Coates) & other stuff... that is something I'd actually do. I think you would get no drop-off from Bell to Gurley, and a suddenly imposing secondary featuring two long, super-athletic Corners. WOWOWOW

What I will say, is that if the FO pulls this trade off, I'd take it as a great sign that the FO has a real sense of urgency and a specific eye toward the a$sh01es.
    Last edited by Shoe; 08-14-2017 at 11:28 PM.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.