Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AFC North Training Camp News including Flacco's back injury & John Urschel retirement

Legend

User Info Menu

AFC North Training Camp News including Flacco's back injury & John Urschel retirement

Joe Flacco reportedly out up to 3-6 weeks

Posted by Mike Florio on July 26, 2017, 9:03 PM EDT

The injury bug already is biting the Baltimore Ravens right in the butt.

With running back Kenneth Dixon already gone for the year due to a knee injury, NFL Media reports that quarterback Joe Flacco is preparing to missed 3-6 weeks due to a disc issue in his back. At a minimum, he’ll miss a week or two.

Even the best-case scenario makes this an ominous situation for the Ravens and the 32-year-old Flacco, given that back injuries once they develop tend to not suddenly disappear for good.

The other quarterbacks on the roster are Ryan Mallett and Dustin Vaughn. So the Ravens may need to add someone.

If only there were an available free-agent quarterback who has been coached by Senior Offensive Assistant Greg Roman and/or the brother of head coach John Harbaugh.

UPDATE 9:14 p.m. ET: A source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that the team expects Flacco to miss “a week or so,” and that they will let him rest while it heals.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/26/joe-flacco-reportedly-out-up-to-3-6-weeks/

John Urschel retires from NFL
    Posted by Josh Alper on July 27, 2017, 9:50 AM EDT

Offensive lineman John Urschel started 13 games for the Ravens over the last three seasons, but, in general, he has gotten more notice for his mathematical ability than his football ability.

Urschel is going to have more time to crunch numbers in the near future. The Ph.D. candidate at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology has decided to end his playing career.

“This morning John Urschel informed me of his decision to retire from football,” Ravens coach John Harbaugh said in a statement. “We respect John and respect his decision. We appreciate his efforts over the past three years and wish him all the best in his future endeavors.”

Urschel did not provide a statement about his reasons, although his bright future as a mathematician would seem to be the obvious answer. In a 2015 piece he wrote for The Players Tribune, Urschel wrote about being asked why he’d play given that future and the risks inherent to life as a professional football player.

“I play because I love the game,” Urschel wrote. “I love hitting people. There’s a rush you get when you go out on the field, lay everything on the line and physically dominate the player across from you. This is a feeling I’m [for lack of a better word] addicted to, and I’m hard-pressed to find anywhere else.”

Urschel was expected to be in the mix to start at center for the Ravens, who traded last year’s starter Jeremy Zuttah to the 49ers during the offseason. Ryan Jensen and Matt Skura are the other in-house candidates in Baltimore.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/27/john-urschel-retires-from-nfl/
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

now you want to talk about bad contracts?
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Banned

User Info Menu

No tears for the Ravens coming from me.

All the illegal chop blocking they started doing a few years ago to now; their cheating tactics has brought them this bad Karma. I'm enjoying it as their team falls apart. Maybe they should just bottom out and get in the running to get a real QB from the upcoming draft? LOL

Rookie

User Info Menu

No Zach Orr..no Urschel...Joe Flaccid with back issues...

Hopefully, most of our serious injury issues have moved to them...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    No tears for the Ravens coming from me.

All the illegal chop blocking they started doing a few years ago to now; their cheating tactics has brought them this bad Karma. I'm enjoying it as their team falls apart.
    Maybe they should just bottom out and get in the running to get a real QB from the upcoming draft? LOL
    Yup. 10 characters.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

we will still struggle to beat them just cause they get up for us.

I wonder if teams can start putting in a "no retirement clause" in rookie contracts?

I would be livid if my draft pick retired after 3 years.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

John Harbaugh: Ravens will add a QB, maybe Kaepernick
    Posted by Mike Florio on July 27, 2017, 12:10 PM EDT

Of all the teams that could be a match for quarterback Colin Kaepernick, the Ravens make the most sense. The brother of their head coach, John Harbaugh, coached Kaepernick in San Francisco, and still raves about him. Their Senior Offensive Assistant (and possible offensive coordinator in waiting), Greg Roman, served as offensive coordinator in San Francisco when Kaepernick played as well as ever.

And the Ravens could indeed sign him.

Via multiple Twitter accounts of reporters at practice, Harbaugh said the Ravens plan to add a quarterback, and he didn’t rule out Kaepernick.

Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun notes that Harbaugh said it all “depends on what Kaepernick wants to do.” Harbaugh also said that the Ravens have been talking to Kaepernick throughout the summer.

This suggests that the outcome hinges on whether Kaepernick would take whatever money the Ravens have budgeted for the position. If he does, he’ll have a job. And a chance to supplant Ryan Mallet as the No. 2 guy on the roster. And an opportunity to be in position to play if Joe Flacco’s back injury is something more than a minor inconvenience.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/27/john-harbaugh-ravens-will-add-a-qb-maybe-kaepernick/
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    John Harbaugh: Ravens will add a QB, maybe Kaepernick
    Posted by Mike Florio on July 27, 2017, 12:10 PM EDT

Of all the teams that could be a match for quarterback Colin Kaepernick, the Ravens make the most sense. The brother of their head coach, John Harbaugh, coached Kaepernick in San Francisco, and still raves about him. Their Senior Offensive Assistant (and possible offensive coordinator in waiting), Greg Roman, served as offensive coordinator in San Francisco when Kaepernick played as well as ever.

And the Ravens could indeed sign him.

Via multiple Twitter accounts of reporters at practice, Harbaugh said the Ravens plan to add a quarterback, and he didn’t rule out Kaepernick.

Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun notes that Harbaugh said it all “depends on what Kaepernick wants to do.” Harbaugh also said that the Ravens have been talking to Kaepernick throughout the summer.

This suggests that the outcome hinges on whether Kaepernick would take whatever money the Ravens have budgeted for the position. If he does, he’ll have a job. And a chance to supplant Ryan Mallet as the No. 2 guy on the roster. And an opportunity to be in position to play if Joe Flacco’s back injury is something more than a minor inconvenience.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/27/john-harbaugh-ravens-will-add-a-qb-maybe-kaepernick/
    lol............even more reason for me to hates the rats

Banned

User Info Menu

I love beating up Kaperbum just as much as Flacco. I remember how we beat the stuffing out of him and the 49ers a couple of years ago.

We are gonna sweep the ratbirds this year. 14-2 really looks doable now.

Legend

User Info Menu

Reports: Ravens sign quarterback David Olson
    Posted by Curtis Crabtree on July 28, 2017, 12:29 AM EDT

The Baltimore Ravens have added a quarterback.

No, it’s not Colin Kaepernick.

According to multiple reports, the Ravens are signing former Clemons and Stanford quarterback David Olson, who most recently placed with the Kansas City Phantoms of the Champions Indoor Football League. It was first reported by Damond Talbot of DraftDiamonds.com.

The Ravens found themselves in need of another quarterback with Joe Flacco expected to miss time with a disc issue in his back.

There is obviously a connection to Olson as he played for Ravens head coach John Harbaugh’s brother, Jim, at Stanford. However, Olson did not see any playing time at Stanford behind Andrew Luck, Josh Nunes and Kevin Hogan, and he threw just three passes with one completion for a one-yard loss after transferring to Clemson as Deshaun Watson was the starter.

If Flacco’s issue is short-term – PFT’s Mike Florio reported that Flacco is only going to miss a week or so – the Ravens will need little more than a camp arm to get through a handful of practices in the interim. Nevertheless, Olson will have one of the least impressive backgrounds, statistically, of any quarterback on a roster in the league.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/28/reports-ravens-sign-quarterback-david-olson/