Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Thread: The Deal Bell Rejected

Legend

User Info Menu

Drop the exact same first half turnovers into ANY Steeler win in history and we still win the game if we score 35 (taking out the last TD).

It literally has happened before several times.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    You are mixing two Jaguar games up.
    In 2007 we had four turnovers. I DID blame Ben and the offense for that loss,

In the last one Ben had ONE interception and ONE fumble. That was the extent of the turnovers.

Ben had 5 TDs, the team had 6 touchdowns a post season record.

My point is the offense did MORE THAN ENOUGH to offset a relatively modest number of turnovers.
    No.

The playoff game in the 2017 / 2018 season had:

1 Fumble (DTD)
    1 Pick
    2 Turnovers on Downs
    ------------------------------
    4 turnovers

https://www.espn.com/nfl/game/_/gameId/400999181

The regular season game that year had:
    5 Interceptions (2 for DTDs)

https://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=400951655
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 08-22-2021 at 01:47 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Drop the exact same first half turnovers into ANY Steeler win in history and we still win the game if we score 35 (taking out the last TD).

It literally has happened before several times.
    Remember when you said earlier in the thread that you think looking at 1 stat alone flattens the whole game?

Points is one stat too.

And that's why I think I push back on the "if we scored this many points in any other playoff game" argument. We only scored that many points because we dug such a big hole at the beginning of the game.

I think we scored that many points because they were playing off. I think they had basically figured our offense out because they seemed to dominate us any time the game was close enough to matter in two matchups in the same season. And I think that D (and their staff) was confident they could stop us when they wanted / needed to. And they seemed fine trading high risk / high reward chances with a QB they picked on 5 times (2 for TDs) earlier in the season.

Every time the game got under 2 scores, the O failed. Twice by turning it over on downs.

It also sucks that they scored a TD on every one of our four turnovers. 3 of those are on the D.
    - INT: 18 yard TD next play.
    - Fumble: Returned for a TD
    - Downs in the 1st half: 11 play 75 yard TD
    - Downs in the 2nd half: 5 play 61 yard TD

The defense certainly did not prop up the offense after their mistakes (like I can only assume they would have if Troy and company were out there). What happens if the D can hold them to a FG on even one of those? But it seems to me that D was built around Shazier making splash plays because we didn't have another big impact player (Watt was only a rookie and not yet a DPOY candidate).

But this is also a game where we lost by 3 (after garbage time TD) and gave up a defensive TD.

Maybe if someone on offense makes a magical shoe string tackle to prevent that TD, we win this game. I seem to remember something like that happening in the past too .

I am not arguing that the defense played well. They did not play well.

I do not think the offense didn't play well either. Even though I think someone looking at the score alone might think that was the case.

And I think looking at that roster, most people would have expected the offense to be the half of the team that won the game.

Unfortunately, you need the weak part of your team to win you games sometimes in the NFL playoffs. And they weren't up to the job.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 08-22-2021 at 01:49 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Remember, there are three things that can happen on a pass play and two of them are bad.
    i've always wondered about this saying. incompletion and INT. ok

and running the ball... 1) no yardage/ loss of yardage 2) fumble

how's that different then the options when passing the ball?