Thread: Report: Sean Davis underwent shoulder surgery, to be ready by TC

Legend

User Info Menu

Report: Sean Davis underwent shoulder surgery, to be ready by TC

http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Report...by-TC-52873266

Sean Davis underwent surgical procedure on his shoulder this offseason, sources have told ESPN's Jeremy Fowler. Fowler added that Davis, Pittsburgh's starting strong safety, is expected to be 100 percent by training camp.

Davis, the Steelers' second pick last year and the team's Rookie of the Year, recently explained his excitement heading into 2017 with Steelers.com's Missi Matthews.

"I’m looking forward to coming back and being even stronger next season," Davis said. “Not the ending that we all wanted (last season). It was a crazy year man. It hurts. For me, it’s more motivation to become a better player to bring that championship home.

"I got to my third playoff game my first year. That’s the expectation I have for the organization and for myself. Honestly, I don’t wanna fall shorter than that.”

Davis was one of the three defensive players the Steelers chose with their top three picks in last year's draft, as Davis, cornerback Artie Burns and defensive lineman Javon Hargraveeach earned starting roles on the team last season. All three played a hand in the team's nine game winning streak, as Davis said that the trio developed a close bond with one another throughout the course of the season.

“We got a lot of potential in our class," Davis said. "Our whole class is tight. Me, Artie and Javon being on the field on defense, I feel like we take pride in that. It’s something special.”

Davis' versatility -- he played both cornerback and safety at Maryland -- was one of the things that appealed to the Steelers when they made him their second pick in last year's draft. Pittsburgh immediately him to work learning both positions, something that Davis admits was tough at the time but was ultimately something that made him a better player.

“It wasn’t easy," Davis said. "It wasn’t ideal but that’s the situation I was in. I had to work on my mental game. Learning one position in the NFL as a rookie was crazy, but having two on my plate was pretty crazy. But I’m thankful for it. It helped me play faster, helped me learn more about the defense. If I had to go back and do it again, I wouldn’t change anything."

Eventually, Davis found his role as the team's starting strong safety, making key plays down the stretch that included a key interception in Pittsburgh's Week 13 victory over the Giants.

“The transition of my going back to safety felt more comfortable and I was able to make plays," Davis said. "We started to wear teams down each and every game."

While Davis knew he could play at this level, he said that did learn some things about himself as he adjusted to life in the NFL, as Davis looks to continue to grow as a player and as a person in 2017 and beyond.

“I feel like I’ve learned a lot of things mentally. From playing different positions to not playing at all to injuries to just adjusting to Pittsburgh and living on my own," Davis said. “I’ve learned that I’m a tough guy, and that it takes a lot to break me down.

“I’m always smiling. You’ll never know if I’m having a bad day. I always try to stay positive."
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

Why didn't he get this taken care of months ago? I know the article says he'll be ready by TC, but things can always happen that slow things down by weeks or more ... why not get it done asap to allow the max time to heal?

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    Why didn't he get this taken care of months ago? I know the article says he'll be ready by TC, but things can always happen that slow things down by weeks or more ... why not get it done asap to allow the max time to heal?
    Sometimes it's better to just try to rehab an injury to see if it is able to improve enough to avoid surgery altogether. I'm not sure if that happened in this case, though...it only says he had surgery done this offseason. It doesn't specify when in the offseason. Maybe it was done months ago or maybe it was recently...I'm not sure...it's just finally being reported now because the players are finally on the field together for OTA's and Davis isn't able to participate fully yet.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Reminds me of the off season Peyton Manning had the neck surgery.. I don't see the benefit of waiting.

Legend

User Info Menu

Fans in Charlotte asked the same question about Cam. I think like Ruth said... they probably want to see if it will heal on its own. Surgery is althe last resort. Of course when you finally decide to do it everyone ask you why you waited.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

i think players do this so they can skip out of practicing

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Sometimes it's better to just try to rehab an injury to see if it is able to improve enough to avoid surgery altogether. I'm not sure if that happened in this case, though...it only says he had surgery done this offseason. It doesn't specify when in the offseason. Maybe it was done months ago or maybe it was recently...I'm not sure...it's just finally being reported now because the players are finally on the field together for OTA's and Davis isn't able to participate fully yet.
    All good points, thanks. I over-read the OP, don't know why I came away thinking the surgery was recent, rather than earlier in the off-season.

And, as you pointed out, it's possible it was done later in the season, for reasonable reasons.

Good news is that he'll be ready for TC!

Thanks -

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Covering a lot of ground
    Posted 26 minutes ago

By Mike Prisuta

Davis knows how far he's come entering his second season.

Sean Davis is still recovering from offseason surgery to repair a torn labrum, but that hasn’t stopped him from hitting the ground running at OTAs.

“The whole practice,” Davis confirmed today.

His workout included 21 “half-gassers” (across the field sideline to sideline) and multiple sprints spanning the width of three of the four fields at the UPMC Rooney Sports Complex, with periodic checks of his wrist a part of the process.

“I stay on the clock to make sure I’m up to pace,” Davis reported. “I’m not slacking.”

Davis said he hurt his shoulder in the third game of his rookie season, last Sept. 25 in Philadelphia.

He played through it well enough to start the final seven regular-season games and all three of the Steelers’ playoff games opposite Mike Mitchell at safety after an early and ultimately unsuccessful stint as the slot-cornerback in the sub-package defense.

Davis isn’t sure when he’ll rejoin the defense, but he’s convinced he’ll be a different player once he eventually does.

“Last year should be the worst that I play,” he said. “Hopefully, I can make some steps forward with healthy shoulders.”

Davis can already tell how far he’s come since arriving on the second round of the 2016 draft simply by watching the initial steps taken by the three defensive players the Steelers drafted this time around _ linebacker T.J. Watt, cornerback Cameron Sutton and cornerback Brian Allen.

“Looking at them practice, it definitely brings back memories,” Davis said. “That’s really not yourself out there. Your head’s spinning, trying to learn the defense. You’re trying to play to the best of your abilities and everything’s going super fast.

“That was me last year.”

Davis, first-round cornerback Artie Burns and third-round nose tackle Javon Hargrave all become rookie starters a season ago.

More will be expected from them this season.

Davis said they’ll also demand more from themselves.

“We don’t have the excuse any more of us being rookies,” Davis said. “We have to carry our load, step up and kind of become leaders.

“It is a younger defense. We can’t let that be an excuse to hold us down.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Covering-a-lot-of-ground/4d221eb3-a587-45f2-92c4-11f9cbdb6b3d
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Covering a lot of ground
    Posted 26 minutes ago

By Mike Prisuta

Davis knows how far he's come entering his second season.

Sean Davis is still recovering from offseason surgery to repair a torn labrum, but that hasn’t stopped him from hitting the ground running at OTAs.

“The whole practice,” Davis confirmed today.

His workout included 21 “half-gassers” (across the field sideline to sideline) and multiple sprints spanning the width of three of the four fields at the UPMC Rooney Sports Complex, with periodic checks of his wrist a part of the process.

“I stay on the clock to make sure I’m up to pace,” Davis reported. “I’m not slacking.”

Davis said he hurt his shoulder in the third game of his rookie season, last Sept. 25 in Philadelphia.

He played through it well enough to start the final seven regular-season games and all three of the Steelers’ playoff games opposite Mike Mitchell at safety after an early and ultimately unsuccessful stint as the slot-cornerback in the sub-package defense.

Davis isn’t sure when he’ll rejoin the defense, but he’s convinced he’ll be a different player once he eventually does.

“Last year should be the worst that I play,” he said. “Hopefully, I can make some steps forward with healthy shoulders.”

Davis can already tell how far he’s come since arriving on the second round of the 2016 draft simply by watching the initial steps taken by the three defensive players the Steelers drafted this time around _ linebacker T.J. Watt, cornerback Cameron Sutton and cornerback Brian Allen.

“Looking at them practice, it definitely brings back memories,” Davis said. “That’s really not yourself out there. Your head’s spinning, trying to learn the defense. You’re trying to play to the best of your abilities and everything’s going super fast.

“That was me last year.”

Davis, first-round cornerback Artie Burns and third-round nose tackle Javon Hargrave all become rookie starters a season ago.

More will be expected from them this season.

Davis said they’ll also demand more from themselves.

“We don’t have the excuse any more of us being rookies,” Davis said. “We have to carry our load, step up and kind of become leaders.

“It is a younger defense. We can’t let that be an excuse to hold us down.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Covering-a-lot-of-ground/4d221eb3-a587-45f2-92c4-11f9cbdb6b3d
    sounds like he is skipping a lot of practice
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Banned

User Info Menu

Ready by OTA's? He may be at training camp but how effective will he be? That injury tends to linger for a while. I"m glad we added a veteran safety. I think we are going to use him more then we thought.