Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Josh Dobbs-Breakdown

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by williar View Post
    I don't understand all of the negativity surrounding the J. Dobbs pick. Granted - I never get excited about drafting the "non-sexy" picks either such as; OL, long snappers, punters, backup QB's, kickers, etc... but in the scheme of things, you need them eventually. Newsflash- Ben is not going to play forever! And with him starting this retirement talk, going full-on drama-queen-mode. I might prefer him go sooner than later!

All I am saying is, can we give a guy a chance whose name is not, Roethlisberger? No. I am not a professional talent scout and no one this board had identified himself as one, either. What I see from the Dobbs highlights is he looks to have considerable developmental talent and has a better resume than Mitchell Tribisky who went number 2.
    Honestly - did you (Shawn) think Dak Prescott would have had the success he has had from your evaluations?
    did you take my honest break down of this game as negativity? As you know I was advocating for a QB. I don't claim to be a professional scout nor am I stellar at picking QBs. With that said, I think my assessment is accurate. I liked some things and disliked some things. I watched Pryor in HS and every game in college. They are similar QBs but Pryor was more of a physical specimen. Pryor is bigger and faster. But what gives me hope is that Dobbs throws a nicer ball, he does show some touch. He is also said to be very sharp and a willing student. As he sits right now Pryor is a solid comparison but that isn't his ceiling. With good coaching, I believe he can be a serviceable starter in the NFL. I don't see superstar but anything can happen.

As for Prescott I didn't evaluate him so I had no opinion on him. But I will say that many a scout missed on him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    I was thinking the same thing....Kordell wasn't stupid, but not an overachiever either... Josh could become something special if he can grasp progressions and outlets...
    that's the big key. Can he learn to sit in the pocket and progress through his reads. If he can, he certainly has some tools to work with. Nothing jumps off the page but he is above average in the main traits you look for in a QB.

Banned

User Info Menu

He's an engineering major so he has the intelligence to grasp reading defenses. And he has a good arm to make all the throws. So the sky is the limit. What's not to like?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    He's an engineering major so he has the intelligence to grasp reading defenses. And he has a good arm to make all the throws. So the sky is the limit. What's not to like?
    I think there is some things not to like such as an inability to get past his primary WR. I mean I would love to homerize this but the guy has some work to do.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'll start out with qb for me is the hardest position to evaluate. Dobbs has some issues with his footwork. When he checks to flairs or fans in the video he can get away with just flicking it out there. However if the hot read on a blitz is the Y in the seam well there lies your issues. You need a cannon to throw that off balance and like Shawn has stated his arm is good but not great. That is coaching n reps and can be improved and will need to be improved because some of the accuracy or lack of accuracy is tied to lower body on Dobbs. He to me has good vision and in his read and desire to get the ball out quick he lacks some mechanics like getting his shoulders around to help him drive the ball better but that is coaching and correctable. He shows his ability to feel the rush while still looking down field and that is a necessary skill that to me is difficult to coach so you better have it and Dobbs does.
    Improved footwork will lead to more accurate passes and that means more yack yards and that will be stressed by the coaching staff. Since I've never been a big Landry Jones fan I'm hoping Dobbs progresses and I'll keep a close eye on him at Latrobe.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    I'll start out with qb for me is the hardest position to evaluate. Dobbs has some issues with his footwork. When he checks to flairs or fans in the video he can get away with just flicking it out there. However if the hot read on a blitz is the Y in the seam well there lies your issues. You need a cannon to throw that off balance and like Shawn has stated his arm is good but not great. That is coaching n reps and can be improved and will need to be improved because some of the accuracy or lack of accuracy is tied to lower body on Dobbs. He to me has good vision and in his read and desire to get the ball out quick he lacks some mechanics like getting his shoulders around to help him drive the ball better but that is coaching and correctable. He shows his ability to feel the rush while still looking down field and that is a necessary skill that to me is difficult to coach so you better have it and Dobbs does.
    Improved footwork will lead to more accurate passes and that means more yack yards and that will be stressed by the coaching staff. Since I've never been a big Landry Jones fan I'm hoping Dobbs progresses and I'll keep a close eye on him at Latrobe.
    I think this is a solid assessment. If you watch his head, which I do when I look at all QB film...you see that he doesn't break off his primary read. He automatically looks for the check down. That works in college but not in the pros. I know the coaches are already in rookie camp working on his footwork. I assume they will also help him better scan the field. I guess the question for me is...is he able to truly scan the field as the play is in motion? Is he able to find a secondary receiver through traffic? These are unanswered questions because he was able to get away with the way he played the game in college. I agree there are some interesting tools there. I think at this point it's impossible to predict his ceiling but of course I try. There are too many unanswered questions and I'm not sure we will know the answer to those questions for another 2-3 years.

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I think there is some things not to like such as an inability to get past his primary WR. I mean I would love to homerize this but the guy has some work to do.
    That's why he was where he was in the draft. Of course he has things to work on. If he where a polished and finished product then he's a first round pick. But the intellect is there and the physical tools. Every qb in this draft has areas to work on. But Dobbs has at least an entire season to work on his issues with minimal pressure.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    That's why he was where he was in the draft. Of course he has things to work on. If he where a polished and finished product then he's a first round pick. But the intellect is there and the physical tools. Every qb in this draft has areas to work on. But Dobbs has at least an entire season to work on his issues with minimal pressure.
    Yup, and this is why you draft a work in progress in the 4th round and not in the 1st. KC better hope Mahomes works out beause they spent a ton on him and I seriously doubt they recoup it.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    I was thinking the same thing....Kordell wasn't stupid, but not an overachiever either... Josh could become something special if he can grasp progressions and outlets...
    I'm an unabashed Korkie fan. He was often horrible. But there were stretches where he was magic. I remember the game in Baltimore in 2000 where he threw for 300 yards, including a forever TD to Bobby Shaw from inside the EZ -- Bobby pulled up his jersey to show off his superman Tees after the TD, but Kordell was the actual superman that game.
    If the Pats** hadn't cheated in the AFCC, we were probably getting the SB home that year (that was the year Hines was particularly pissed off about).

The man had a zone. He just didn't enter it frequently enough.

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bostonsteeler View Post
    I'm an unabashed Korkie fan. He was often horrible. But there were stretches where he was magic. I remember the game in Baltimore in 2000 where he threw for 300 yards, including a forever TD to Bobby Shaw from inside the EZ -- Bobby pulled up his jersey to show off his superman Tees after the TD, but Kordell was the actual superman that game.
    If the Pats** hadn't cheated in the AFCC, we were probably getting the SB home that year (that was the year Hines was particularly pissed off about).

The man had a zone. He just didn't enter it frequently enough.
    That was the year that after the game, he did an interview and said it seems like the Patriots knew all our plays before we ran them.