Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ILB Steven Johnson

Legend

User Info Menu

ILB Steven Johnson

I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about the guy. It was stated he started 12 games for Denver the year they won the SB. Looking for some highlight tape, but not finding much... other than an interview or two. Anyone finding anything?

I am thinking the FO must be real high on this guy.. in order for us to appear to be "Settled" on ILB going into camp.

Rookie

User Info Menu

He started 12 games for Denver the year before they won the SB...they did go 12-4 and they had the #3 defense...

I think he has shown that he can start games and execute his assignments, which is what you want and need in a backup...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    He started 12 games for Denver the year before they won the SB...they did go 12-4 and they had the #3 defense...

I think he has shown that he can start games and execute his assignments, which is what you want and need in a backup...
    Thanks for the info. How does he stack up compared to VW? Sounds to me like that could be a real camp battle for the starting job.

Rookie

User Info Menu

I think a lot of people underestimate Vince Williams as a football player...I see a lot of talking points on the board about how he's "bad in coverage" and the like, but there really hasn't been much evidence on the field to make that determination...

If competition from Johnson drives Williams to be better and vice versa, I'm all for it...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

He's made plays at times. He's not going to "Wow" you like Shazier (or even Timmons did down the stretch). I think most folks see "Serviceable" as VW's ceiling. Sort of a poor man's Larry Foote... who I happened to like a ton by the way.

Banned

User Info Menu

"Serviceable" is a position that needs to be upgraded. Hopefully Johnson can be a bit better then " serviceable"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    "Serviceable" is a position that needs to be upgraded. Hopefully Johnson can be a bit better then " serviceable"

I agree. That's a big reason why I was pissed that they let Timmons walk. Timmons is still a player. If we were building a team with a young franchise QB... I would have felt a little better about it. I am hoping Johnson can help fill Timmons' void... Im sure it will be "By committee" for a while.

Starter

User Info Menu

Gerald Hodges. Still available, young, covers well, Quite a lot of starting experience for a young guy. Probably would come relatively cheap given the circumstances

Legend

User Info Menu

Don't forget about Tyler Matekovich, who knows, he may surprise a few this year.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Banned

User Info Menu

Hopefully.