Thread: All Time Favorite Steelers Draft Pick By Round

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Legend

User Info Menu

All Time Favorite Steelers Draft Pick By Round

Who's your favorite Steeler draft pick by round in the history of the franchise? Your list can be the players you liked the most, thought were the best, whatever. If we could combine all the former drafts into one super draft, what would be the best haul on draft day?

Here's my picks:

1. Troy Polamalu
    2. Ernie Stuatner
    3. Mel Blount
    4. John Stallworth
    5. Mike Webster
    6. Antonio Brown
    7. Brett Keisel
    8. Ernie Holmes
    9. Johnny Unitas
    10. Merril Hoge
    11. Mike Wagner
    12. Jim Finks
    16. Rocky Bleier
    32. Warren Lahr (one of 3 guys we ever drafted in round 32 and the one that had stats)

Priority UDFA - James Harrison

If you guys can find good draft picks in rounds 13-15 or 17-32, god bless you. I was struggling to find players I remember or even heard stories about. Maybe there's some gems in there.

The more I look at our draft history, the more I'm convinced that you should just swing for the fences and make the biggest gambles you can in rounds 2 and beyond. So many crappy picks. Very few guys that pan out as studs. No sense in playing it safe, unless you go uber safe and select a P, K, LS, etc. And many of these picks have such low probability of producing value, you should use them to trade up in the early rounds to get the guys you really want.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Who's your favorite Steeler draft pick by round in the history of the franchise? Your list can be the players you liked the most, thought were the best, whatever. If we could combine all the former drafts into one super draft, what would be the best haul on draft day?

Here's my picks:

1. Troy Polamalu
    2. Ernie Stuatner
    3. Mel Blount
    4. John Stallworth
    5. Mike Webster
    6. Antonio Brown
    7. Brett Keisel
    8. Ernie Holmes
    9. Johnny Unitas
    10. Merril Hoge
    11. Mike Wagner
    12. Jim Finks
    16. Rocky Bleier
    32. Warren Lahr (one of 3 guys we ever drafted in round 32 and the one that had stats)

Priority UDFA - James Harrison

If you guys can find good draft picks in rounds 13-15 or 17-32, god bless you. I was struggling to find players I remember or even heard stories about. Maybe there's some gems in there.

The more I look at our draft history, the more I'm convinced that you should just swing for the fences and make the biggest gambles you can in rounds 2 and beyond. So many crappy picks. Very few guys that pan out as studs. No sense in playing it safe, unless you go uber safe and select a P, K, LS, etc. And many of these picks have such low probability of producing value, you should use them to trade up in the early rounds to get the guys you really want.
    Nice list.
    Where I differ?

1. Joe Greene (1st piece of the Dynasty)
    2. Jack Lambert (Jack Ham very close)
    6. Greg Lloyd (While your pick of Brown IS the correct answer in my head.....in my heart I favor Lloyd just because he I loved watching him play.)
    10. LC Greenwood (this is where I differ most strongly from your pick)
    10.b John Kapele 1960 draft (OK he was no more than a backup, but he was my high school coach, in Hawaii)
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 05-04-2017 at 09:41 AM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Nice list.
    Where I differ?

6. Greg Lloyd (While your pick of Brown IS the correct answer in my head.....in my heart I favor Lloyd just because he I loved watching him play.)
    10.b John Kapele 1960 draft (OK he was no more than a backup, but he was my high school coach, in Hawaii)
    minus your coach, i'm 100% with you here....
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Nice list.
    Where I differ?

If I did it again, I'd have a somewhat different list. I was trying to also include variety in positions. I started off with Greene at 1 and Ham at 2 and then at the last minute decided to throw some love Stautner's way who is arguably the most dominant interior DLineman of his era. So I dropped Greene and then really had a hard time with the #1 pick and decided I just liked Troy.

The Hoge pick is the most glaringly wrong, but I wanted to slip a RB somewhere in there. Later I remembered Rocky was a 16th rounder and I shoulda went back and put in LC, but ran outta time

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

AB in the 6th great selection but Colin Holba is the man!

Legend

User Info Menu

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    holy thread revival....
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington