Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Our 7th rounder...Keion Adams

Starter

User Info Menu

Our 7th rounder...Keion Adams

Western Michigan OLB....Comparable to Arthur Moates.

Grade
    ?

6'2"
    Height
    245LBS.
    Weight

Overview

The three-sport high school athlete in North Carolina came to WMU ready to go; he started five games as a true freshman, making 23 tackles, 2.5 for loss and a sack. Adams' production held steady as a sophomore (three starts, 2.5 TFL, 0.5 sack), but he came alive as a junior (41 tackles, 10 for loss, 5.5 sacks). He earned second-team All-MAC accolades -- and real interest from NFL scouts -- in his senior year, leading the 13-1 Broncos with 18 tackles for loss and 7.5 sacks.
    Analysis
    Strengths Basketball background is evident in his play. Feet are light and bounding. Rarely false steps out of his stance and into his rush. Always works to an edge against blockers. Makes it extremely difficult for tackles to mirror him. Rarely allows a square punch into his chest. Has loose hips to flip around the edge like a basketball defender working over a screen. Has the fluidity and flexibility for tight cornering as pass rusher. Inside counter spin is a dangerous weapon he can feature more. Features big closing burst to the ball as a rusher and in pursuit of ball carriers. Has quickness out of stance to shoot gaps and stink up the backfield. Diagnoses wide flowing runs quickly and climbs over the top of tight ends racing ahead to maintain contain on the edge.
    Weaknesses Lacks ideal size and length on the edge. Can be engulfed by size and driven off his position. Will need to fight back against wash down blocks on the move. Lacks consistent hand usage at point of attack and as a rusher. Needs to learn to become better hand fighter at the top of his rush. Missing a go-to counter move. Will have to improve punch-and-shuck technique when taking on blocks. Willingness to work around blocks on the edge could create wider running lanes for NFL running games. Scouts have some concerns over character red flags.
    Draft Projection Rounds 5-6
    NFL Comparison Arthur Moats
    Bottom Line Adams is an elusive pass rusher who wins with athleticism and foot quickness, but who may lack the size and length to be considered an every-down edge player in a 3-4 front. Adams has pursuit quickness around the field and can be very disruptive when allowed to shoot gaps against the run, but he will have to prove he can set a strong edge and hold his ground at the point of attack if he wants to become anything more than a situational rusher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Can he play ILB??
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Can he play ILB??
    I think so as he is good in coverage. Excellent speed rusher who has problems converting speed to power. Raw but another high upside player.

Legend

User Info Menu

Adams already 'gets it'
    Posted 2 hours ago
    Teresa Varley
    Steelers.com

It didn't take long for rookie Keion Adams to get a feel for the Steelers tradition.

All it took for Keion Adams to ‘get it’ was one simple visit.

It was before the NFL Draft when the linebacker from Western Michigan visited the Steelers at the UPMC Rooney Sports Complex, one of the team’s 30 allotted pre-draft visits.

Walking through the facility, seeing the Super Bowl trophies, the pictures of the Hall of Famers, and just meeting everyone, he immediately felt what the Steelers were all about.

“There is a rich culture, a rich tradition,” said Adams. “As soon as I walked into the building you could tell it was a family-oriented culture. The energy and the passion everyone has for football makes it a wonderful situation to be in. I am beyond excited. It’s hard to put it into words.

“You know coming into a situation like this, the Steel Curtain defense, they are known for their linebackers, they are known for getting after the quarterback and for wreaking havoc. It’s something I take pride in just being a part of.”

One other thing that Adams noticed right off the bat, is that Pittsburgh mirrors the same type of feeling he got within the walls of the Steelers’ facility. And he liked that.

“The city, the people are the city,” said Adams. “They embrace you whether they know you or not. It’s a city rich in heritage. I like that. It shows at the end of the day they aren’t going to change anything and the city knows who they are.

“The draft was hectic. My mind was everywhere. I didn’t know what was going to happen. To end up with an organization like the Steelers, in a city like Pittsburgh, is a blessing. It’s crazy how things play out.”
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    I think so as he is good in coverage. Excellent speed rusher who has problems converting speed to power. Raw but another high upside player.
    All those are coachable corrections. Looking forward to him being a real contributor down the road.

Backup

User Info Menu

What are the character concerns?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Can he play ILB??
    My thoughts exactly. His size, skillset, and the roster depth tells me he might have a better shot inside like we did Timmons who we just lost.
    Would be like Tomlins first draft when he drafted 2 OLBers and one wound up inside.

Legend

User Info Menu

We can only hope.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    My thoughts exactly. His size, skillset, and the roster depth tells me he might have a better shot inside like we did Timmons who we just lost.
    Would be like Tomlins first draft when he drafted 2 OLBers and one wound up inside.
    His size and measurables are almost identical to Porter when he came out of school. I forget where I saw the breakdown, but it was really close. I like having competition at OLB. I'd love to see Adams, Chickillo and Moats have to compete for what is likely to be 2 roster spots.

I suspect that Adams starts the year on the PS, but if he can push and enough on special teams, I think Chickillo is solid enough as a replacement starter that Moats could become expendable.

I would love to see this defense get back to a place where there are always young edge rushers waiting in the wings behind the starters.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    His size and measurables are almost identical to Porter when he came out of school. I forget where I saw the breakdown, but it was really close. I like having competition at OLB. I'd love to see Adams, Chickillo and Moats have to compete for what is likely to be 2 roster spots.

I suspect that Adams starts the year on the PS, but if he can push and enough on special teams, I think Chickillo is solid enough as a replacement starter that Moats could become expendable.

I would love to see this defense get back to a place where there are always young edge rushers waiting in the wings behind the starters.
    I think Moats does too many things well and offers flexibility. IMO the roster spot is between Adams and Chickillo