Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Why we picked JuJu

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Who do we have other than Shazier who's been anything more than a back up? There's a heck of a lot more talent in the WR corp than there is at ILB.
    That is an excellent question...

We have Shazier and Williams as the two starters in the base defense...

Behind them, we have Steven Johnson, who started 7 games for Denver in 2014, when they went 12-4 and had the #3 defense in the league...we also have the option to play Arthur Moats inside, who has started for us as well as Buffalo at ILB...

LJ Fort and Tyler Matakevitch have both appeared in games for us, though not as a starter...

We kept 6 ILBs last year...this season, I think we keep 5 and Moats at OLB, but always with the option to move him inside if necessary...

OTOH, I look at how every WR not named Antonio Brown disappeared in the playoffs...maybe you could give Eli Rogers, the benefit of a doubt...maybe...

Bryant sat for an entire year and is one failed or missed test away from another...

I like Darrius Heyward-Bey, but he caught all of 6 passes last season and 1 in the playoffs...

Sammie Coates dropped off the face of the earth after starting off pretty strong...

Cobi Hamilton and Demarcus Ayers are both practice squad guys who got the call up...

I don't see how we were stacked at WR...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post

Steelers weren't "stacked" at WR ... but why? Mainly because Bryant was suspended and Coates and Wheaton were hurt. If you'd had them all in the lineup and healthy, that WR corps looks a whole lot better.

If they can keep everyone off the drugs and keep their fingers intact, etc., they should be more than "stacked" at WR this season.
    Last edited by BradshawsHairdresser; 04-30-2017 at 06:44 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    But we don't know who was on the steelers board, maybe the ILB's they wanted already got picked and Schuster Smith was the top guy left on their board for the second round.
    Steelers will miss Timmons. I like V. Williams, but he's a step back from LT. And if Shazier goes down to injury, the team really has a drop-off in speed (and coverage ability) at ILB. Here's a thought -- might they play Watt some on the inside if the need arises? I really think he could do well there, just as I'm sure he will do well at OLB.

Legend

User Info Menu

Behind them, we have Steven Johnson, who started 7 games for Denver in 2014, when they went 12-4 and had the #3 defense in the league...we also have the option to play Arthur Moats inside, who has started for us as well as Buffalo at ILB...

LJ Fort and Tyler Matakevitch have both appeared in games for us, though not as a starter...

We kept 6 ILBs last year...this season, I think we keep 5 and Moats at OLB, but always with the option to move him inside if necessary...

OTOH, I look at how every WR not named Antonio Brown disappeared in the playoffs...maybe you could give Eli Rogers, the benefit of a doubt...maybe...

Bryant sat for an entire year and is one failed or missed test away from another...

I like Darrius Heyward-Bey, but he caught all of 6 passes last season and 1 in the playoffs...

Sammie Coates dropped off the face of the earth after starting off pretty strong...

Cobi Hamilton and Demarcus Ayers are both practice squad guys who got the call up...

Good post...

Legend

User Info Menu

My biggest concern about Ju Ju is whether he will be able to get separation consistently enough to be a reliable weapon.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    It's not about the reliving the Pats game on any level. It's about team needs and the impact your number 2 pick is going to have on the field. I'm interested in the opinion of you guys who are happy with this pick in regards to that impact. Do any of you see your boy Juju getting more than 2 to 3 touches per game? Without the benefit of an injury to another receiver, do any of you see him rising anywhere above 4th on the depth chart at any point in the next couple of years? Does he have any return skills?

You may trumpet the value of this pick until your lungs bleed or rag on the lack of knowledge people like me possess. At the end of the day, this kid will likely be making a very minimal contribution to the team for quite some time to come.

The pick sucked.
    It's not the position I wanted, but I think it makes sense. Receiving options:

AB: Awesome, will be fine.
    MB: Great when he plays. One puff away from not playing. Has failed many, many drug tests in his short time in the league.
    SC: Has been good and terrible. Was terrible most recently. Will he recover, or is he all drops all the time?
    DHB: Has been solid. Ended the year on IR, not a good look for an older player.
    LG: Multiple concussion in a short span. High chance of not completing the season (like MB), but for medical reasons.
    Bell: Amazing talent can run and catch. Also failed multiple drug tests. Has often been hurt at the end of seasons.

If everyone is healthy, our O is awesome. But, I think everyone above (except AB) has a serious question mark. I think bringing in a viable option to catch balls is a reasonable thing to do.

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    My biggest concern about Ju Ju is whether he will be able to get separation consistently enough to be a reliable weapon.
    Bingo!!!!!!!!

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    It's not the position I wanted, but I think it makes sense. Receiving options:

AB: Awesome, will be fine.
    MB: Great when he plays. One puff away from not playing. Has failed many, many drug tests in his short time in the league.
    SC: Has been good and terrible. Was terrible most recently. Will he recover, or is he all drops all the time?
    DHB: Has been solid. Ended the year on IR, not a good look for an older player.
    LG: Multiple concussion in a short span. High chance of not completing the season (like MB), but for medical reasons.
    Bell: Amazing talent can run and catch. Also failed multiple drug tests. Has often been hurt at the end of seasons.

If everyone is healthy, our O is awesome. But, I think everyone above (except AB) has a serious question mark. I think bringing in a viable option to catch balls is a reasonable thing to do.
    Well, wouldn't it have been wise then to give a guy like Anquin Boldin a look?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8467thekraken View Post
    Very excited about Juju. Surprised me at the end of Round 2, but that kid has an electricity about him. Hard to beat his physical #s as well. I mean, 6'1, 215 with nearly 33" arms and 10.5" hands. DAMN. Comparisons to A. Boldin. Rarely goes down on first contact. Don't care that he "only" runs a 4.50 40. He balls out.

Gotta admit, I did very little "studying" when it came to WRs this year. But boy I love this kid. Like the value here. Our WR corp is gonna have sick depth.

The competition at that position is gonna be heated. From what I understand, it has already gotten a little warm on twitter.

Totally cool with this pick.

And for that matter, the entire draft, so far.
    http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Mike-T...riate-52554306
    Coach liked it

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

You talk worse case with receivers and best case for linebackers.

Before the draft, outside of oline receiver is easily our best and deepest position period. We have an elite receiver and on of the games very best deep threats and more than one very solid slot options. That is as it stood pre-draft.

At inside lb we have ONE really good linebacker and a backup pressed into a starting role. That is as it stands now.

You cannot possibly compare the two positions as remotely similar.

You talk what if MB smokes again. We still have an allpro recever.
    What if Shazier gets his annual injury? We are HORRIBLE at inside linebacker.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher