Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Why we picked JuJu

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Then we would be lamenting the lack of a WR in the draft...
    I'd be fine going into the season with Bryant, Coates, Rogers, Hunter, DHB and Ayers competing for the spots opposite AB. Rogers should improve in year 2 and you just need one of Bryant, Coates or Hunter to be an effective complimentary option.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think what the critics of the pick won't acknowledge is the Smith-Schuster is a different type of receiver from Rogers, Ayers, Coates or Hunter. He is bigger and stronger and won't be rerouted as easily. He has better and more sure hands. He can post up in the middle of the field and use his strength and presence to win battles. This is what the TE generally gives the QB. Although I think Rogers Bryant and Coates all have good abilities. None of them are as similar to Smith-Schuster. There is no way Hunter, Rogers or Coates will keep JuJu on the bench if they are all healthy at the same time.

Although there is quite of bit of b*tching and moaning being expressed at this point. I am going to make the predication that JuJu will become a good player who will be praised in his first season. The only ones who will continue to be against the pick are those with the agenda of proving themselves right.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    we don't. but, there's a chart... i would imagine that once you get outside of the first round that teams stay fairly close to that chart. Wouldn't think the cost would vary significantly from there. Moving up from 30 to 25 in the second round costs roughly a 4th rounder... basically you'd be trading JuJu and Josh Dobbs for one of Chidobe, Obi or Cunningham...

Will admit that I had visions of Bud, Shazier, TJ and Zach being the best LB group in the league for years to come.
    having the depth we heard about in this draft well in to the 2nd round, i'm sure teams wanted a shot at some of those guys, and would have required a lot more then the chart says to move down and miss on the opportunity to draft one of them

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I'd be fine going into the season with Bryant, Coates, Rogers, Hunter, DHB and Ayers competing for the spots opposite AB. Rogers should improve in year 2 and you just need one of Bryant, Coates or Hunter to be an effective complimentary option.
    And I would feel more confident going into this season with our current lineups at ILB and DB than I would the WR depth chart listed above...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

I would have been too. I would be up in arms if we left a really good DB sitting on the board. But, looking at the DBs selected after JuJu there wasn't a single DB there warranting second round pick.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    I think what the critics of the pick won't acknowledge is the Smith-Schuster is a different type of receiver from Rogers, Ayers, Coates or Hunter. He is bigger and stronger and won't be rerouted as easily. He has better and more sure hands. He can post up in the middle of the field and use his strength and presence to win battles. This is what the TE generally gives the QB. Although I think Rogers Bryant and Coates all have good abilities. None of them are as similar to Smith-Schuster. There is no way Hunter, Rogers or Coates will keep JuJu on the bench if they are all healthy at the same time.

Although there is quite of bit of b*tching and moaning being expressed at this point. I am going to make the predication that JuJu will become a good player who will be praised in his first season. The only ones who will continue to be against the pick are those with the agenda of proving themselves right.
    I agree to an extent. I was touting an enforcer type WR. I believed we needed a physical WR, a guy who scares DBs. I wanted a soft handed chain mover who has blow up blocking ability. I think we got that in JuJu. Just didn't want one that early. But, let me say this...the NFL slept on Noah Brown. The Cowboys got one of the best values in the draft. Him and JuJu are the same type of receiver but Brown is probably the more physical of the two while JuJu is more experienced and a better technician.

Give Brown a year and watch what happens. I think there was better value later.

Legend

User Info Menu

Shawn likes a Buckeye more than our pick? Why am I not shocked by this.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    And I would feel more confident going into this season with our current lineups at ILB and DB than I would the WR depth chart listed above...
    Given that the Steelers tried to find another starting corner in the offseason, I don't think the org is particularly enamored with Cockrell. And while there are a ton of options for a slot corner, the depth on the outside is pretty thin now.

I like Vince a lot and think he will be a very good starter. But the depth at ILB is limited, and say this as a guy who really likes Matakevich.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Shawn likes a Buckeye more than our pick? Why am I not shocked by this.
    I wouldn't say more...but better value for sure.

Banned

User Info Menu

Given that the Steelers tried to find another starting corner in the offseason, I don't think the org is particularly enamored with Cockrell. And while there are a ton of options for a slot corner, the depth on the outside is pretty thin now.

I like Vince a lot and think he will be a very good starter. But the depth at ILB is limited, and say this as a guy who really likes Matakevich.
    Want to ask a question: With the reinstatement of Daryl Washington in Arizona, would it be a good idea to explore if we could give Arizona a late round pick for Daryl Washington? He was near all pro level when he was playing and he'd provide us with some depth at ILB. Just spit balling but tell me what you guys think.