Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: With Mr. Rooney's passing....I've got to say it.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Now, I was furious with the game plan against the Pats but I also realized we were inches away from being down a few points at halftime if James extends the football. No matter how mad we get at the defense the offense failed to do their job as well. Maybe that's all coaching but maybe it's losing Bell and Ben going for a home run on 3rd and short on the first series.
    Not to mention the THREE dropped would-have-been TDs. Tomlin can't catch it for them.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    He did it with Cowhers players?

You mean like Ike Taylor who was HORRIBLE in 2006, benched by Cowher? Tomlin restored his confidence, essential for a corner, and worked with him personally to rehabilitate him. Cowher may have drafted Ike, but Tomlin was a better "coach" than Cowher of Taylor by a WIDE margin.
    The three other primary corners on the latter two of the number one pass defenses Tomlin coached were Gay, Lewis, and Cortez Allen- Not exacty a murderers row of talent- All drafted by Tomlin.

Tomlin has had 3 number one pass defenses with a quite average set of corners and one year quite a poor pass rush.

Cowher coached guys like Woodson and never had a number one pass defense.
    Don't forget about Harrison, who got cut three times by Cowher and then did nothing but rot on the bench behind Porter until Cowher left. Porter was a very good player, but Harrison was the superior LB.

But I suspect Real Dull Steel was one of the yinzers who also screamed nonstop for years for Cowher's head as well.
    Last edited by steelers75; 04-27-2017 at 05:53 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelers75 View Post
    Don't forget about Harrison, who got cut three times by Cowher and then did nothing but rot on the bench behind Porter until Cowher left. Porter was a very good player, but Harrison was the superior LB.

But I suspect Real Dull Steel was one of the yinzers who also screamed nonstop for years for Cowher's head as well.
    Nevermind Porter. Harrison should have replace Haggins on the other side, and played WITH Porter.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    No more protection now for Mike Tomlin. Yep....
    Wrong. Again (and as usual).

Steelers extend Tomlin's contract

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-extend-Tomlins-contract/64cdd7d5-a975-4160-812c-454b6ea13ca8

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelers75 View Post
    Wrong. Again (and as usual).

Steelers extend Tomlin's contract

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-extend-Tomlins-contract/64cdd7d5-a975-4160-812c-454b6ea13ca8
    Haha... yinzers are furious today
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Haha... yinzers are furious today
    We extended him YET AGAIN because of that stinkin Rooney rule.

I heard that according to that rule, you not only MUST hire a minority coach.....
    You MUST continue to extend him until he either dies or he tires of taking your money.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 08-05-2017 at 09:56 AM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-

Banned

User Info Menu

We extended him YET AGAIN because of that stinkin Rooney rule.

I heard that according to that rule, you not only MUST hire a minority coach.....
    You MUST continue to extend him until he either dies or he tires of taking your money.
    If we don't reach the Super Bowl and have another embarrassing flame out to the Patriots; let's see what the temperament is then. It all sounds good; Kumbaya and all right now. But a 7th and 8th consecutive loss to the Patriots and then we will check the pulse of the people then.

Rookie

User Info Menu

If we don't reach the Super Bowl and have another embarrassing flame out to the Patriots; let's see what the temperament is then. It all sounds good; Kumbaya and all right now. But a 7th and 8th consecutive loss to the Patriots and then we will check the pulse of the people then.
    If the Steelers get a home playoff game and make it to the AFCC, there is no way that Art Rooney will get rid of Tomlin...just accept it...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Should every team fire their coach if the Patriots win again? They are a dynasty who are tough to beat.
    We want to beat them but does firing a coach because of a loss to a team that is DOMINATING THE ENTIRE LEAGUE make sense?

Many Buffalo fans grew weary of Levi's "almost" championship teams getting destroyed in the SB. Has his departure made them "better".

People liken Tomlin to Seifort for "inheriting" a team. How many post Seifort rings do the Niners have? Well the Niners had a run with Harbaugh without a ring. Smart move Niners in not appreciating him.

Be careful what you wish for my friend......firing a coach who has all of ONE postseason loss to a DYNASTY is pretty stupid.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 08-05-2017 at 07:16 PM.

TCFCLTC-

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Should every team fire their coach if the Patriots win again? They are a dynasty who are tough to beat.
    We want to beat them but does firing a coach because of a loss to a team that is DOMINATING THE ENTIRE LEAGUE make sense?

Many Buffalo fans grew weary of Levi's "almost" championship teams getting destroyed in the SB. Has his departure made them "better".

People liken Tomlin to Seifort for "inheriting" a team. How many post Seifort rings do the Niners have? Well the Niners had a run with Harbaugh without a ring. Smart move Niners in not appreciating him.

Be careful what you wish for my friend......firing a coach who has all of ONE postseason loss to a DYNASTY is pretty stupid.
    Well said. The Patriot's are hammering everybody, not just the Steelers. In fact, there's a good chance that the last two SB championship teams Pittsburgh has had may not have beaten this last iteration of the Patriots. Even if Bryant is back, the D improves and Bell is healthy, the Steelers may bow out to them after a great regular season. My hope is for better things, but they have a machine going on up there.

I imagine what the fans of the Raiders, Dolphins and Cowboys were thinking back in the 70's when they all struggled to overcome the Pittsburgh juggernaut? They had some really good teams that just met a better team in Black & Gold.

All that said, it's pretty cool to be a part of a fan base that expects to win. I grew up around Detroit fans and now live among a lot of Bengals fans and the difference is striking.