Thread: Thoughts on a few of the Day Two Edge Rushers

Legend

User Info Menu

Thoughts on a few of the Day Two Edge Rushers

Much of the talk has been focusing on our first round target, but with 3 picks on day two of the draft and needs at edge rusher, corner, and safety (all position groups that seem to be particularly strong though the first 3 or 4 rounds of the draft), Colbert will be making the biggest impact of our draft on Friday night.

Which of these day two edge rushers do you like or not like for us? All of them seemed to improve their stock with impressive showings at the combine over the weekend, and we know that Colbert and Tomlin tends to love guys with these types of athletic traits.

Houston DE/OLB Tyus Bowser
    Height 6'3", Weight 247 lbs., Arm Length 33-1/4", Hands 10-1/8"
    40 time 4.65 sec, Bench 21 reps, vertical jump 37.5", broad jump 127", 3 cone 6.75 sec

Ohio DE/OLB Tarell Basham
    Height 6'4", Weight 269 lbs., Arm Length 34-1/4", Hands 10-1/4"
    40 time 4.70 sec, Bench 15 reps, vertical jump 31.5", broad jump 119", 3 cone 7.27 sec

Kansas St. DE/OLB Jordan Willis
    Height 6'4", Weight 255 lbs., Arm Length 33-1/2", Hands 9-7/8"
    40 time 4.53 sec, Bench 24 reps, vertical jump 39", broad jump 125", 3 cone 6.85 sec

Youngstown St. DE/OLB Derek Rivers
    Height 6'4", Weight 248 lbs., Arm Length 32-3/4", Hands 9-3/8"
    40 time 4.61 sec, Bench 30 reps, vertical jump 35", broad jump 123", 3 cone 6.94 sec

Thoughts?
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

i would add smoot from Illinois to that list and rank them:

rivers
    smoot
    Willis
    bowser
    basham

also interested to hear thoughts on Carl Lawson who just looks like an AFC north LB to me. I have seen him mocked to us in the 1st and then have read on Walter football he's a 3rd round prospect in their opinion. if he's a 3rd rounder then its a hell of a class

Legend

User Info Menu

Rivers or Willis would be Chadman's pick out of those mentioned...but...

T.J. Watt in Round 1 does all the things the Steelers need at OLB better than these guys. Safety & CB are stronger through Round 2 & 3 than OLB...
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Starter

User Info Menu

I like them all, and would be happy with any of them. My ordering:

Bowser
    Willis
    Rivers
    Basham
    Smoot

If we get a outside, man CB to pair with Burns in FA, we could go OLB (Reddick, Lawson, Harris) in 1 , slot CB in 2, then one of these guys (trade both 3's to move up to get one once they start coming off the board?). Major d-upgrade.

Banned

User Info Menu

I really like Willis. I like Willis enough to take him in the first round. But since he most likely will be in the second, I could see us sliding back into the top of the second, while picking up an additional second round pick.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think Smoot is a round 5 guy. The other guys will be strictly situational pass rushers only year one. They will all have to learn coverage. Willis and Rivers are firmly in play at 2/30

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Rivers and Smoot are my choices.
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa