Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Should Steelers Move on From Ben?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tiproast View Post
    Loved to watch Grogan throw to Stanley Morgan. The Fairbanks teams with Sam Bam and Russ Francis, John Hannah and Leon Gray - they were sometimes strong, but never well-balanced enough to be consistent winners.

Thanks for bringing up Grogan - nice to see that his time in the league hasn't been forgotten.
    Francis was from Hawaii (went to High school with my wife) so we got a lot of Pats pub back then.
    The year the Raiders won it all (76?) that was a pretty scary Pats team, tore our Steeler team up.

I got to talk to Russ years later, told him I was a Steeler fan and he said he had good games versus the Steelers because we would defense the run and the wideouts at the expense of the tight ends.
    He had some awesome Jack Lambert stories said he was scary fo-real. He said dude acted crazy in games. Said Lambert literally bit his leg like a maniac under a pile.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 01-27-2017 at 08:04 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    The culture of winning didn't win anything between bradshaw and Ben. Is your goal to be competitive or to win a title.
    This is a quarterbacks league. Tough To assume your getting someone just as good as the HOF you have now that can bring you a title.
    Currently there is 1 example in green bay. I don't like those odds.
    Hopefully im wrong and the culture of winning FO won't take another 20 years to find that guy
    We won a lot of games over those 20 years.

I know now some fans believe if you don't win the SB the season was a failure but that's a horrible way to enjoy football.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    The year the Raiders won it all (76?) that was a pretty scary Pats team, tore our Steeler team up.
    Ah yes, the 1976 playoffs and the Ben Dreith call against Sugar Bear Hamilton for RTP on Ken Stabler. It took 25 years to get the make-up call for that one (Tuck Rule).

Nice story about Russ - always seemed to me to be a really cool guy (he's from Hawaii, after all).

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tiproast View Post
    Loved to watch Grogan throw to Stanley Morgan. The Fairbanks teams with Sam Bam and Russ Francis, John Hannah and Leon Gray - they were sometimes strong, but never well-balanced enough to be consistent winners.

Thanks for bringing up Grogan - nice to see that his time in the league hasn't been forgotten.
    It's hard to forget a QB who wore a neck roll.

Those old unis were waaaaaaaay better than the current Flying Elvis model.

Judging by your Pat Patriot avatar, I'm guessing you agree.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    It's hard to forget a QB who wore a neck roll.

Those old unis were waaaaaaaay better than the current Flying Elvis model.

Judging by your Pat Patriot avatar, I'm guessing you agree.
    Yes, loved the old unis.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If it is clear that Ben is just returning for "selfish" motives, then yes, it is time to move on. However if he is prepared to recommit himself to being a better player, more consistent, better conditioning, team leader - and all the above, then let's get ready for another superbowl run! And yes, I said team leader! For him to publicly call out his coaches and teammates when times get tough and failing to mention himself for his plethora of bad games he has contributed. That is just a sign of a punk and not a true team leader! To me, his selfish actions after the loss to NE (blaming the rookies and going off on his retirement rant) - was no better than what AB did with his facebook live post! Ben needs to grow up/man up and take responsibility for HIS team! He is a 13 year vet - and he was confident enough, he should be the "quasi" offensive coordinator. Haley should just be a "figure-head". The truly great ones call their own plays and run their own offense ! They don't need no stinkin' coordinators...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by williar View Post
    The truly great ones call their own plays and run their own offense ! They don't need no stinkin' coordinators...
    Are there any QBs in the NFL today who "call their own plays" and "run their own offense" and "don't need no stinkin' coordinators"? Just curious, because I'm not aware of any.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Are there any QBs in the NFL today who "call their own plays" and "run their own offense" and "don't need no stinkin' coordinators"? Just curious, because I'm not aware of any.
    I think some vets like Brady and Rodgers have more rope to refuse a play call. Hell, we see Ben tell the FG unit to stay off the field on 4th downs so he can do the predictable fake cadence to try and draw them offsides. That usually results in burning a TO too.

What I don't like about Ben is when we don't score a TD or lose a game he has no problem throwing Haley under the bus but when we put up 40 it's "we design the plays together and came up with the game plan"

Ben gives Haley some of the credit when things go good but he tends to give Haley ALL the blame when we lose. If Ben thinks we could score with a QB sneak then run the freaking sneak and prove it instead of talking about it.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Yeah! The ones who know how to read defenses and make the proper adjustments at the line before the ball is snapped! What more control do you need then that?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by williar View Post
    Yeah! The ones who know how to read defenses and make the proper adjustments at the line before the ball is snapped! What more control do you need then that?
    OK, I'm with you on that. The way you wrote (in your earlier post) sounded like you were saying if a team has a "real QB" they don't need to have an OC, just have the QB call the plays ALL the time. Nobody operates that way, AFAIK.