Thread: First to Show / Last to Leave

Legend

User Info Menu

First to Show / Last to Leave

I've heard this description about seemingly every good player on every team across the NFL. How is every single guy the first to show up and the last to leave?

Who is the hardest working current Steeler?

All time?

I know these terms are typically thrown around about great players and we'd probably hear this comment about a guy like Harrison or Bell. But I wonder if guys that have less natural ability are the ones working the hardest just to make the 53 man roster.

What about guys like Moats or Vince Williams who seem like high character guys with average talent that probably have to work harder just to remain on the roster.

Or what about a guy like Ayers who seems to play like his life depends on every snap he sees the field?

Every time I hear this concept first to show up and last to leave about any player, I feel like I'm watching an ESPN broadcast with Joe Theisman or Jon Gruden trying to oversell me on everyone.

How can we know who really works the hardest?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It would be hard for me to believe that anyone on the team works harder than Harrison, so I'll take him out of the conversation. I think AB comes in next. I've read a few articles about just how hard he works. But the reality is that at this level there is barely a hair difference between some of these guys. I would say, with some amount of confidence, that our kickers are the least hard working guys on the team lol

Legend

User Info Menu

I think it's AB. Harrison is probably the hardest working player in the weight room but overall I think it's AB from what I've heard.

I wonder if Shazier and Timmons are also on that list. Timmons seems like the quiet type but he has been the leader of this D for a while. I think he puts in a lot of hours in the film room and the playbook. Shazier seems to be following in his footsteps too plus he is a physical freak.

I hated hearing how Tebow worked harder than anyone in any team he has ever played on. It always sounded like an oversell in college but the kid was really good. I know he didn't work hard enough on his mechanics but I watched a special and he definitely had a long day working with different trainers.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Starter

User Info Menu

He doesn't play any longer but I have heard several who have said that James Farrior was a film room junkie. He just watched and watched game film preparing for opponents.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I think it's AB. Harrison is probably the hardest working player in the weight room but overall I think it's AB from what I've heard.

I wonder if Shazier and Timmons are also on that list. Timmons seems like the quiet type but he has been the leader of this D for a while. I think he puts in a lot of hours in the film room and the playbook. Shazier seems to be following in his footsteps too plus he is a physical freak.

I hated hearing how Tebow worked harder than anyone in any team he has ever played on. It always sounded like an oversell in college but the kid was really good. I know he didn't work hard enough on his mechanics but I watched a special and he definitely had a long day working with different trainers.
    Felt, Tebow was the real deal. I lived in Gainesville the entire time he was there and he was always working out. And he worked on his mechanics. I used to go down and watch practice and he would be throwing after practice with Harvin all the time. The biggest problem he had was that his coaches didn't spend time working on it with him. They always had him running and working on his play fakes for the spread option. He pretty much did it all on his own, which was good and bad because it reinforced some of his bad habits. In the weight room and cardio wise, I think he'd give Harrison a run for work put in. I can remember one time running stadiums and three guys lapped us TWICE. Luis Murphy, Harvin, and Tebow. I almost died trying to finish two, and they lapped me TWICE in that time lol.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think this is more a general description/hyperbole about who works on their craft. Which guys are catching extra balls after practice. Hitting the blocking sleds Who's watching tons of film or going above the normal practice routine. As an example - During his early season suspension, Bell came in and ran 500 routes per day at the Steelers indoor facility. Every route from every position. He works to understand what every single O player is doing on every play.

Conversely, Burress was a guy who I thought could have had HOF stats but he didn't work on it that much. He relied on his height and athletic ability to just get by.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think that you always hear about the hard working superstars because they are already in the spotlight. What is the expression? Something like work like you are trying to make the team...something like that. I will bet that many of the hardest workers are the Vince Williams types, but you don't hear so much about it because how many reports can you file on Vince Williams before you lose your audience. Bell and AB stories can be written every day and fans will eat it up.

One former Steelers who was notorious for his workout regimen was Ike Taylor. Even late in his career you would hear stories about him inviting the youngsters to come train with him and they were falling over while he was still flying.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I think that you always hear about the hard working superstars because they are already in the spotlight. What is the expression? Something like work like you are trying to make the team...something like that. I will bet that many of the hardest workers are the Vince Williams types, but you don't hear so much about it because how many reports can you file on Vince Williams before you lose your audience. Bell and AB stories can be written every day and fans will eat it up.

One former Steelers who was notorious for his workout regimen was Ike Taylor. Even late in his career you would hear stories about him inviting the youngsters to come train with him and they were falling over while he was still flying.
    I think you are right. I suspect the guys that no one talks about might be the hardest workers. Some of these guys with God given talent don't have to work that hard and they can be elite and be a little lucky.

A few weeks ago, I heard Hines Ward talking about Heath Miller and how he worked out harder in the weight room than anyone else and that he was ripped. That surprised me to hear that one.

I would bet that the undersized guys are the ones that have to work the hardest. I bet a guy like Russel Wilson has had to work 10 times harder than any other QB in the league to just make it let alone to thrive. Same for guys like Drew Brees or small skill players like AB. Then there's the old guys like Harrison that have to be hard workers. Or guys that cut significant weight and push themselves to know how to play multiple positions like Bell have to be up for consideration.

And then you have the guys with the chip on their shoulder like Hines or Harrison that feel they have something to prove to the world. Something has to be the driver that makes these guys tick.

For every one of these guys, there's a Martavis Bryant who naturally gifted and doesn't have to try really. He looks like he has a whole new attitude and approach to improving himself and that begs another question. Are the guys at the top there because they're the hardest workers? Or do they get there because of their genes?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Are the guys at the top there because they're the hardest workers? Or do they get there because of their genes?
    I bet you a dollar we can take a perfectly useless psychopath like Billy Ray Valentine, and turn him into a successful executive, and during the same time, turn an honest, hard-working man like Louis Winthorpe III into a violently, deranged, would-be killer!
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.