Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tough to Watch

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Our veterans are dealing with more serious issues than ex-football players. I guess someone needs to make a movie that would be "tough to watch." I also guarantee none of our vets were making six figure minimum salaries
    This is the definition of a straw man. What does the original post about the NFL and concussions have to do with military veterans?

This is the equivalent of someone saying, "I'm against spousal abuse." and someone else jumping in and saying, "Oh yeah? Well what about CHILD abuse... that's even worse!!!???"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    The risk is a lt more controlled now. Mike Webster suffered from 100s if not thousands of concussions. Now..they see just one and your out for a week or two. Back then theyd not miss more then a couple of downs and usually suffer more damage in the same game. Its still a lot of risk...but nowhere near what it used to be.
    If you watch the movie they actually state the average NFL players sustains (if I remember correctly) "70,000" hits to the head in their careers starting from high school. And it's not just the blows we see in the highlights, sub-concussive hits are suspected in the disease as well.

btw, I am not insensitive to the plight of other professions and the military and their risks. (I have family that served in Vietnam and understand the horrors). Just that this forum is about football and Steeler issues which was the purpose of the original post.
    Last edited by NorthCoast; 12-30-2016 at 08:44 PM.