Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tough to Watch

Legend

User Info Menu

Tough to Watch

Sorry if this topic was already brought up, but spent a day off watching "Concussion". That was tough to watch one of my childhood heroes end up like that. I remember reading the awful stories about Mike Webster living in his truck after his exit from football. Guess at that time I blamed it on steriods or drugs or something. Suicides of Terry Long, Justin Strylszyk too.

There was one clip of a game I think it was Jets player that was hit helmet to helmet. The player got up, staggered two or three steps towards the sideline and collapsed on the field.

Glad the NFL has finally recognized the concussion issue and is taking steps to improve safety. At the very least, players now should recognize they are in a high-risk profession similar to boxers. Pretty sobering stuff.

Legend

User Info Menu

Recognized? More like the NFL finally admitted the truth they tried to hide for years.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Our veterans are dealing with more serious issues than ex-football players. I guess someone needs to make a movie that would be "tough to watch." I also guarantee none of our vets were making six figure minimum salaries

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Our veterans are dealing with more serious issues than ex-football players. I guess someone needs to make a movie that would be "tough to watch." I also guarantee none of our vets were making six figure minimum salaries
    I appreciate your comments and agree our veterans deserve the best treatments medical science can give them.

However, this is a Steelers message board and the topic was Steelers past heroes tragically ending their lives.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post

Go hang out at a VA hospital for awhile ... you'll see a whole lot of sad stories.

I'm glad the NFL is finally taking steps to improve safety in regard to concussions, but I have to agree with Ovi about the plight of our military vets.

Legend

User Info Menu

although i feel the cover up by the nfl is despicable, i truly dont believe any of the old timers would have quit playing if they had the data.
    the players of the last 15 years or so know the consequences, and they still continue to purposely spear one another.
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    although i feel the cover up by the nfl is despicable, i truly dont believe any of the old timers would have quit playing if they had the data.
    the players of the last 15 years or so know the consequences, and they still continue to purposely spear one another.
    and a few have begun to retire early
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's final Mock
    1.20 - Tailiese Fuaga, OT, Oregon St
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Luke Mccaffery, WR, Rice
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

herein lies the problems

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    and a few have begun to retire early

I agree with the fact the NFL is a big POS. Frankly, they should have a lifetime pension for anyone that suits up for one game. And don't tell me they couldn't afford it. They could roll it into the next contracts for TV.

With that said...I feel bad at the health issues...but tell me....how about the coal miner's who barely make a living that suffer from black lung, what about the Police, Fire, EMS who have physical and mental health issues? They can't stop working after their first contract.

Here is my point...no one forces these guys to play 15 years (it's a notion of invincibility that permeates through us all in or youth). I once took an Entrepreneur class in school with a real life successful entrepreneur as the professor. He basically said all you need to live comfortably for the rest of your life is around 5 million (I obviously didn't ace the class cause I am nowhere near that amount). He said if you can't live off a 6% return (which is modest return on investment) at 300k a year then you have bigger fundamental problems at hand.

Now I am not suggesting that athletes should stop at 5 million, however as I said they have known to a lesser extent that long stays in the NFL has a very harsh "pay the piper" down the road. I would suggest people look at how dark Johnny Unitas's "Golden years" were.

The game is dangerous...just like some jobs I mentioned earlier. The fact is even if the played flag football injuries including accidental head trauma would still occur.

What the NFL should is admit it's a dangerous game, say we will continue to invest in safety via technology, continue with the third party concussion protocol, and setup a liberal pension/healthcare plan to protect their own.

But what they shouldn't do is fiddle with the game any further and basically have contract language stating you go on that field knowing it's a dangerous world out there and you are ok to deal wit it. Or if you want retire early and go on to your life's work.

Brothervad

Legend

User Info Menu

The risk is a lt more controlled now. Mike Webster suffered from 100s if not thousands of concussions. Now..they see just one and your out for a week or two. Back then theyd not miss more then a couple of downs and usually suffer more damage in the same game. Its still a lot of risk...but nowhere near what it used to be.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

we all want to cheer our gladiators and enjoy the show. I just want the NFL to make sure all the data is out there and individuals can make an informed decision. Those who join the military understand their life is at risk - and choose to accept that risk. I suspect most NFL players would do the same - so there is little to be gained by hiding medical truth.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!